PDA

View Full Version : Life Learning online magazine

crazymama
04-01-2010, 12:02 PM
Is it secular?

I remember sometime back looking at a few issues online.. before it was a pay thing. I don't remember how religious it was.. mostly because I was just browsing and may have only spent a few minutes looking at things. Now I'm interested in reading them, but don't want to pay if it's of a religous nature.

Snoopy
04-01-2010, 12:48 PM
I didn't know about this one, thanks for mentioning it. I couldn't tell from their website, but I tend to think that unschoolers would be more secular than religious, no? Wouldn't the people who homeschool for religious reasons want to have more control over what their kids do rather than less? I might be totally off-base. Anyway, if anyone subscribes or has read it, let us know! Or we could just email them and ask them...

crazymama
04-01-2010, 01:44 PM
You know Snoopy.. that was my thoughts too, but I get sooo put off by all the religion in things.

When I first brought my oldest home from public school, I didn't realize that homeschooling was predominately a religious thing... and really I don't think that it is. I just think that secular homeschoolers have yet to have their voices heard loud enough.

Firefly_Mom
04-01-2010, 01:59 PM
I can remember when it was a print magazine and you could read back issues online - for free! It's been a couple of years since I've perused one, but I don't remember there being any religious content to the articles.

crazymama
04-05-2010, 10:24 AM
Thanks Firefly :)

Still not sure if I want to buy it, I am trying to remember if I liked what I saw well enough to spend money on it..lol. I too read it back when it was in print and you could read the back issues for free. I'm thinking I spent more time scanning headlines and not reading articles because they were tooooo extreme unschooling for my taste.

Firefly_Mom
04-06-2010, 12:15 AM
I had the same reaction :) That's why I never subscribed. I did like some of the articles, but I got more info from Home Education Magazine and The Link (this one has both secular and religious articles).

crazymama
04-06-2010, 04:03 PM
Great now I have to go check out Home Education Magazine..lol I think I will skip The Link.. I get so frustrated trying to secularize things..lol.

Firefly_Mom
04-06-2010, 08:50 PM
Great now I have to go check out Home Education Magazine..lol I think I will skip The Link.. I get so frustrated trying to secularize things..lol.

Check your library for HEM - many have a subscription to it. As for the Link, it used to be all secular, but they changed it a few years ago. It does often carry some really great articles from John Taylor Gatto and the like, and you can read the mag online for free, so I just do it that way. Makes it easier to skip the other stuff ;)

crazymama
04-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Ahhh free is always good!

I doubt our library will have a subscription. We live just outside of a tiny town.. and have given up on the library having anything I want.. ebay, half and amazon see lots of my business ;)