PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate Cinnamon Bread

dbmamaz
01-25-2011, 06:53 PM
This fantastic recipe is from a freind nearby who is a baker - she sells this, but had posted the recipe on fb 2 years ago. I subbed a mix of gf flours, earth balance for the butter, and soy yoghurt for the buttermilk. It came out like a cross between brownies and coffee cake. I cant remember the last time I found a baked good so addictive - be warned!

Chocolate Cinnamon Bread with Sugar Crust
by Christi Wampler Macomber on Saturday, December 27, 2008 at 8:59pm

1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tbsp water
1 tsp vanilla extract

1/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cocoa powder
pinch ground cloves

Preheat the oven to 350F and thoroughly grease a 95″ loaf pan.
In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, waiting until the previous egg has been completely incorporated before adding the next.
In a medium bowl, sift together all purpose flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
In a measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, water and vanilla extract.
Working in two or three additions, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture to the sugar mixture. Begin and end with an addition of the flour mix.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.
In a small bowl, whisk together topping ingredients: sugar, cinnamon, cocoa powder and ground cloves. Sprinkle evenly on top of the loaf cake.
Bake at 350F for about 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Allow cake to cool in pan for 10-15 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and turn out onto a wire cooling rack.
Cool completely before slicing.

Sam
01-25-2011, 06:56 PM
'bout time you posted this lol

dbmamaz
01-25-2011, 07:04 PM
Dorothy suggested it on fb . .. lol . . i never think anyone wants my recipes, not sure why

dottieanna29
01-25-2011, 08:13 PM
Looks yummy. I may not cook but I do occasionally bake. I will definitely give this a try.

Wilma
01-25-2011, 08:55 PM
Oh yeah. I know what we are trying for breakfast tomorrow morning.

KristinK
01-25-2011, 09:07 PM
oooh that sounds incredible....mmmm

Wilma
01-26-2011, 02:06 PM
Okay, I was willing to be the guinea pig for you guys and made it this morning..

This bread is pure sex.

dbmamaz
01-26-2011, 02:21 PM
LOL i'm glad its just as good with gluten and dairy as it is without!!

Oh, and I actually posted it here before I asked her if I could pass the recipe on, and she said "Spread the love!"

dbmamaz
01-27-2011, 09:59 AM
I used 6 different gf flours, including some quinoa flakes. I'm starting to think the reason its so yummy is cuz it calls itself bread, and has no frosting . . .but its really more like a cake . . . but i let myself have it not just for desert!

Wilma
01-27-2011, 12:41 PM
Yeah, it's not a bread. But I don't know if it is cake either. I think the brownie analogy was accurate. Or Baked Bliss.

I am going to cook it longer next time. We had some uncooked portions at the bottom that a toothpick couldn't reach. I was actually surprised that something at the outside of the pan didn't cook. But even that goo was yummy!

dbmamaz
01-27-2011, 05:26 PM
oh, yeah, the eggs are so hard to replace in something like this. You might want to try several different kinds of egg replacer, not just that icky powder - like also use some sort of fruit (like applesauce) and also some flax goo . . . . i think thats part of why i love this so much, 2 years of egg-free baking . . . it makes a difference

dbmamaz
01-27-2011, 07:41 PM
Yeah, egg free baking is really hard. i've had the best luck with things that have other moisture, like banana or zuchini bread. i mostly used flax goo - the egg replacer has something i'm allergic to - tapioca maybe? and i found that the flax goo tasted MUCH better anyways.