PDA

View Full Version : What's for breakfast?

farrarwilliams
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
So one of my kids has recently given up eggs. EGGS! It's driving me nuts. It used to be that when we wanted to have a quick but really filling, tide you over until late or half assed lunch kind of breakfast, we would have scrambled eggs, fruit and toast. Perfect. No more.

So what are you favorite quick and easy but still filling breakfasts?

Sometimes we do yogurt and fruit, but it always feels a little lite. The kids won't eat oatmeal. Boo.

My one that is still in force is peanut butter waffles - I got the recipe from a magazine ages ago and tweaked it - we usually eat them plain, sans syrup or honey, but if you do your waffles with, you can cut the sugar down to a generous tablespoon. I usually make a double sized batch then freeze them and pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast with some fruit:

1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white flour
4 tsps. baking powder
generous 1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
dash of salt

Mix, wafflize and eat and/or freeze then eat.

Kristina Breece
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
That sounds fantastic-- We'll definitely have to try it. Hm. Maybe even tomorrow.

Our go-to breakfasts are scrambled eggs & fruit (toast for DS, but DD won't eat bread at all) or oatmeal. They like basically any kind of fruit in their oats-- apples, cherries, cranberries, raisins, bananas. Whatever we have on hand goes into the oatmeal & they eat it up.

That's one of my favorite things about my kids. They are really good eaters. They'll pick fruits and veggies over sugary snacks, and oatmeal or eggs over sugar cereal. My mom grabbed a Reese's cup out of her fridge one day to give DS when he was 2. He saw a flash of orange and said, "Is it CARROTS!!" When she presented him with a peanut butter cup, he said, "Do you have carrots?" :-D

wild_destiny
01-22-2011, 08:49 PM
Oh, Kristina--well done, Mom! My kids would be knocking you out of the way to get at that bag of peanut butter cups! You go, girl! And farrar, those pancakes sound tasty!

farrarwilliams
01-22-2011, 08:56 PM
I always have myself to compare to for level of pickyness. Now I'm not too bad - I like most things. But when I was a kid, I was a terror. So the fact that my kids like most fruits, many veges, and even some spicy foods... well, I'm good with it even if they'd also be grabbing at the peanut butter cups! I just wish my one son hadn't decided eggs were no good. He used to like them! Though when he was really little and had allergy testing done, he tested a very mildly allergic to them, so I think it may just be that they give him a slight tummy ache or something like that, which is legitimate, if still annoying.

lynne
01-22-2011, 10:24 PM
My problem is mine both like different things. One likes eggs, the other likes pancakes. Typically during the week they eat granola bars, nutragrains, smoothies, sausage biscuits or waffles. On weekends I like to make cinnamon rolls or everyone's favorite - buttermilk pancakes from scratch. I think I will make them tomorrow!

dbmamaz
01-22-2011, 10:56 PM
You could add some granola to the yoghurt, or make some home-made muffins and keep them in the freezer and get out one each morning to go w the youghurt. You can make big batches of pancakes or waffles and keep those in the freezer. PB on toast. Admittedly, my kids usually eat cereal. But there was a time we did a lot of pancakes.

Batgirl
01-23-2011, 12:06 AM
Right now, all Batman will eat is Raisin Bran in whole milk. Robin doesn't care for it but insists on eating it because Batman is. All Batman will have for breakfast is cold cereal, pancakes, buttered toast, cinnamon toast (both on whole wheat bread) or Eggo waffles. I like to make pancakes for dinner, so it's been raisin bran every morning for awhile. Robin will still eat eggs and oatmeal, fortunately. I'm on the paleo diet, so no grains. I'll usually have eggs and broiled grapefruit or a smoothie. Batman won't touch the smoothie but Robin will drink his, so that's our fruit.

Kristina Breece
01-23-2011, 08:13 AM
Oh, Kristina--well done, Mom! My kids would be knocking you out of the way to get at that bag of peanut butter cups! You go, girl! And farrar, those pancakes sound tasty!

All I knew going into parenting is that I didn't want them to grow up with my attitude toward food. My mom always just let us eat whatever we want. Her attitude toward weight control was to eat nothing & let us eat whatever kid-friendly foods we liked. Of course, the definition of kid-friendly has changed radically in the past 20 years. We would live on Kraft Mac & Cheese and fish sticks, and our primary snacks were usually chocolate ice cream or potato chips. It was hard to make the transition to choosing healthier options for myself. I knew that I wanted to expose them to the good stuff from day one. It was just a matter of luck that they ended up being broccoli & carrot junkies rather than fighting me on it.

dbmamaz
01-23-2011, 10:06 AM
my youngest would live off of rice cakes and bacon if he could . . . and cheese, even if it is soy cheese

Shoe
01-23-2011, 10:54 AM
So one of my kids has recently given up eggs. EGGS! It's driving me nuts. It used to be that when we wanted to have a quick but really filling, tide you over until late or half assed lunch kind of breakfast, we would have scrambled eggs, fruit and toast. Perfect. No more.

So what are you favorite quick and easy but still filling breakfasts?

Sometimes we do yogurt and fruit, but it always feels a little lite. The kids won't eat oatmeal. Boo.

My one that is still in force is peanut butter waffles - I got the recipe from a magazine ages ago and tweaked it - we usually eat them plain, sans syrup or honey, but if you do your waffles with, you can cut the sugar down to a generous tablespoon. I usually make a double sized batch then freeze them and pop them in the toaster for a quick breakfast with some fruit:

1 1/4 c. whole wheat flour
1 c. white flour
4 tsps. baking powder
generous 1/2 c. peanut butter
1/4 c. sugar
2 eggs
2 1/4 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
dash of salt

Mix, wafflize and eat and/or freeze then eat.

Well, I cooked this morning, which means that the special ingredient today is "char", and everything has to be pretty much ready to go-add water only pancakes, bacon beyond crispy, Pillsbury crescent rolls, and root beer to drink (the last wasn't my choice but the kids got into it before I had a chance to stop them).

farrarwilliams
01-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Well, I cooked this morning, which means that the special ingredient today is "char", and everything has to be pretty much ready to go-add water only pancakes, bacon beyond crispy, Pillsbury crescent rolls, and root beer to drink (the last wasn't my choice but the kids got into it before I had a chance to stop them).

Mmm... char... :P

I like my food extra crispy.

hockeymom
01-23-2011, 11:52 AM
DS usually has cereal (his favorite is Kashi Go Lean) or whole wheat pancakes. DH and I usually have my homemade granola with either yogurt or soy milk or pancakes if I made them, and I often have a veggie link for some protein. Sauteed parsnips are another favorite side (they get really sweet and earthy and are so delicious with maple syrup). DS and I always have 2 breakfasts, and yogurt or fruit is usually part of one of them. On mornings he has hockey he eats a ridiculous amount of pancakes; I don't know how he fits so many in to his skinny little body. He'll also eat oatmeal, and I like to make quinoa porridge with blueberries in the winter.

And coffee for the adults. Of course. :)

wild_destiny
01-23-2011, 11:58 AM

Ha, ha! Shoe, have you ever read Calvin and Hobbes? There is at least one cartoon in which Calvin's dad is grilling hamburgers and Calvin says something like, "Oh good. Dad's hamburgers. They may be charred on the outside and raw on the inside, but at least they have that wonderful taste of lighter fluid." Your char quote instantly reminded me of that! :)

sallymae
01-23-2011, 01:21 PM
Blue berry muffins (whole wheat)

dbmamaz
01-23-2011, 02:19 PM
oh, home fried potatoes . . . tho of course they are even more filling if you throw a scrambled egg on top at the end.

Pefa
01-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Shoe - have you read Bill Bryson's memoir? It had us crying we were laughing so hard. But one of the vignette's was about how whatever meat his mother tried to cook ended up looking like a pet after a particularly bad house fire but that was ok because his dad only liked two flavors - burnt and vanilla.

I hate it when a kiddo changes tastes, all of a sudden I have to think about food again. Your waffles sound great! My kids will eat leftovers for b'fast which is great. BOO loves oatmeal, B1 can't abide the stuff (it's a texture thing, anything too smooth gags him so no cream of soups in our house unless they have chunks of something in them). Burritos are fast. I do make pancakes a lot just because they're easy. Peanut butter toast.

I figure when people complain about their kids being picky it's just because they forget that the grown ups are the ones doing the shopping and planning. I leave green peppers out of every recipe because I don't like them and unless you're making stuffed peppers (and why would you bother going to all that work?) they're totally optional. So am I picky?

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
01-23-2011, 05:30 PM
My kids both like multigrain waffles or whole wheat bagels and fruit. My son likes oatmeal and both kids enjoy the occasional pancakes or muffins (when I'm in the mood to cook them). I'm a toast with sunflower butter gal most mornings, but sometimes I have scrambled eggs.

In the summer, I like to make smoothies with silken tofu, o.j., honey, and frozen berries.

Wilma
01-23-2011, 05:50 PM

Yes, well, carbon is the basis of life.

Wilma
01-23-2011, 05:51 PM
Tomorrow morning I will either try they pumpkin cobbler from the Bed and Breakfast site or an apple cranberry cobbler. Sunday mornings are crazy hereso it is each man to himself. Come think of it, so is Sunday night. I refuse to cook Sunday night. It is my day off. However, is someone wants to cook a lovely meal for me that is fine!

dbmamaz
01-23-2011, 06:10 PM
I actually did make muffins this morning, but they didnt really come out so well. I put too much ginger in it (this ginger is SPICY!), and they were a little heavy. Which means dh ate more of them than the boys did. When I make really sweet muffins, dh wont really eat them. But we did all love that chocolate cinnamon bread . . . oh i need to make that again!

farrarwilliams
01-23-2011, 06:40 PM
Home fries! Yum. But for some reason, the kids don't eat them. I used to make sweet potato home fries and that always felt like a good breakfast - sweet potatoes, onions and a little chicken sausage to go with... but the kids... they just ate the meat. Sigh. Maybe I need to resurrect them and just insist that it's all there is.

floridamom
01-23-2011, 11:12 PM
Our go-to breakfast is scrambled eggs, fresh fruit and toast, which of course doesn't help you. What about French toast, pancakes, or waffles, with fruit? I mix the dry ingredients for pancakes and keep it on hand. Homemade muffins, peanut butter toast, and smoothies are also favorites in our house. I have an only child though, so I'm not having to deal with different tastes.

mommykicksbutt
01-24-2011, 07:38 AM
A quart of Lemon Ginger Blast, it's a green juice! Always has lemon, ginger, and apple. The greens vary, this morning it was spinach, green pepper, celery, romaine lettuce, and carrots. The apples (and carrots and sometimes the green pepper) make this juice sweet. The lemon and ginger hide the chlorophyll taste. Nothing like getting a whole days supply of veggies in a single pop. Sonny will do this and eat fruit with his meals instead of veggies, he drinks his veggies and eats most of his fruits.

dbmamaz
01-24-2011, 09:38 AM
actually, this morning I remembered a tasty treat . . . i had some corn muffins leftover from chili night on friday, so I split a couple of them and cooked them in margerine in a frying pan until lightly browned, then spread honey over them . . . ok, not a healthy breakfast but SO tasty! Both boys gobbled them up!

Sam
01-24-2011, 11:20 AM
Our breakfasts are totally lazy here. We're totally a cereal/frozen waffle family lol (well, I eat bagels). DH does do "big breakfasts" a few times a month though (bacon, pancakes, ect...)

Sam
01-24-2011, 11:44 AM
Ok, I've also done breakfast muffins and burritos. I gotta get back into that. Maybe a Home Ec lesson for DD and I today....

Amerikiwimom
01-24-2011, 12:59 PM
This morning I'm making GF kumera muffins with the kumera left over from dinner last night. I think I'll offer them with some nice creamy yogurt.

dbmamaz
01-24-2011, 02:22 PM
never heard of kumera . . .

missourimom
01-24-2011, 09:51 PM
If they like french toast you can make it egg free by substituting bananas in the 'batter'. Just put them, along with milk, seasonings & vanilla in the blender, soak/cook your bread as usual.
A friend of mine has a boy with egg allergies & this is one of their go-to breakfasts.

I make a lot of smoothies for breakfast because both kids will drink them without complaint. Blueberries hide fresh spinach really well as long as you don't go overboard with the greens. You can whirl some oats in the blender solo & then add the fruits/liquids to bulk smoothie up as well. Goes great with banana & a tbs of peanut butter. Dates & peanut butter are yummy also but I like that more than the kids. I've tried adding ground flax but it gives it a grainy texture & the boy gives me a look, the "you put something in here but I'm going to drink it anyway...this time" look.
Aside from that I do steel cut oats overnight in the crock pot about once a week, french toast, cheesy scrambled eggs & turkey bacon, homemade muffins once a month or so, pancakes once a month or so and, much to my dismay....we go through many, many, many boxes of Eggos. I don't know what they put in those darned things but my kids *love* them so much more than any homemade waffle I've ever made. I'm going to try the PB recipe posted & hope that grabs their attention.

farrarwilliams
01-25-2011, 10:04 AM
I thought I knew all the hip new grains, but I was wondering what kumera was as well...

Banana french toast sounds really promising. What a good idea.

Topsy
01-25-2011, 12:01 PM
Breakfasts around here include things like waffles (sometimes the frozen ones from the store, but mostly I make a BIG batch on the weekends and have plenty to keep in the fridge and reheat in the week), whole wheat bagels & cream cheese, grits (it's a southern thing), sausage patties, and oatmeal (which usually includes some brown sugar, a smidge of vanilla, and some chopped walnuts...yum!!)

pandahoneybee
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
Sundays I make from scratch "blueberry pancakes and bacon and sausage! Anthony just can't enough of it! I also make french toast made with texas toast which is Dh fav! Darn it now I am hungry for pancakes and its veggie taco night!;(

Busygoddess
01-25-2011, 08:00 PM
I do a lot of waffles & pancakes and freeze them, so everyone can pull out whichever one they want each day. I make them in a variety of flavors - buttermilk, blueberry, cinnamon, chocolate, apple cinnamon, pumpkin, banana, chaocolate chip, cherry, etc. The kids will put just about anything on waffles & pancakes, from butter & syrup to fresh fruit to apple butter or peanut butter. We also like doing french toast with sweet breads instead of regular - banana bread, pumpkin bread, banana split bread, apple bread. The sweet breads are good for breakfast just as bread, so they sometimes do that. Muffins don't generally last very long around here, so they never make it to the freezer. The recipe I use for bagels makes 20-30 depending on how big we make them, so they sometimes make it to the freezer. English muffin bread is another I like to keep around for breakfast. Somedays they want cereal, oatmeal, CoCoWheats, yogurt & fruit, or eggs.

Since Dea is cooking more now, she's been taking care of their breakfast most mornings.

Stella M
01-26-2011, 05:43 PM
I'm thinking that if eggs are a problem, you want to replace them with another protein breakfast ? Hummous on toast is a good one - you can top it with tomato as well. Or soft cheeses ( like ricotta or cottage cheese ) on toast topped with a dollop of jam or honey.

lynne
01-26-2011, 06:38 PM
These pancakes are soooo good! I add a dash of vanilla extract to the batter.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moms-Buttermilk-Pancakes/Detail.aspx

Topsy
01-27-2011, 10:14 AM
actually, this morning I remembered a tasty treat . . . i had some corn muffins leftover from chili night on friday, so I split a couple of them and cooked them in margerine in a frying pan until lightly browned, then spread honey over them . . . ok, not a healthy breakfast but SO tasty! Both boys gobbled them up!

Corn muffins with honey is one of my fave foods of all time...must be a southern thing??? Throw some grits on the side, and I would be in serious nirvana. ;)

mommykicksbutt
01-27-2011, 11:26 AM
Banana split smoothies with an Elvis twist! - Frozen bananas, fresh or frozen strawberries, almond nut milk, raw cacao powder, a squirt of agave nectar (sweetener), and a big heaping spoonful of raw almond butter (even though Elvis was a peanut butter fan), then hit frappe' on the blender!

dottieanna29
01-27-2011, 11:35 AM
I'm really a bad example since I don't cook but these are the usual breakfasts around here:
waffles with peanut butter (ds)
waffle with butter (dd)
cereal bars (dd)
I usually have oatmeal or cereal with tea.

Today they had tortilla chips with melted cheese on them. Yes, for breakfast.

I'm going to have to write down some suggestions from this thread.