View Full Version : HSAP and/or Dual Enrollment

01-22-2011, 02:42 PM
This is my first year homeschooling and my 5 yo dd will be Kindergarten age this fall so I'm considering all my options. Does anyone have any experience with either Home School Assistance Programs or Dual Enrollment?

BTW - I am in Iowa

01-22-2011, 11:23 PM
You might want to mention where you are located. The only dual enrollment we have in Texas is for high school/college classes and I have never heard of home school assistance programs.

01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks Teri. I'm new to this (obviously;)) so I'm still learning what's normal nationally and what is just locally.

Here Dual enrollment is K-12. Usually children with special needs that are homeschooled also dual enroll so they can receive services like speech therapy, occupational therapy, etc. Then there are some students who dual enroll for extra curriculars like sports or for art, music, ESL, etc. Districts here have to allow you the option to dual enroll. The main benefit is that if parents choose to do a placement test (one way to fulfill HS requirements with the state in Iowa) at the end of the year, the cost is free. Otherwise I've heard they can be quite costly.

HSAP - it is optional for the school districts her to offer, but I believe ours does. HS families have to have a Supervising Teacher if they chose not to do yearly placement tests. HSAP's vary widely on the services offered from what I hear, but I believe their main goal is to provide a supervising teacher who meets with the student throughout the year to make sure adequate progress is being made.

01-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Gotcha. We don't call that dual enrollment. It varies in Texas what you can receive through special ed if you are a homeschooler. Our district told me that the only thing available is speech therapy (which shouldn't be correct under the law, but it would have involved a battle.)
We have absolutely zero access to any extra curriculars here.

In return though, the schools have zero access to any of our information. They don't know that our kids exist. ;)

01-23-2011, 10:15 AM
So, Liz, you still havent told us where you are.

I think what you mean is that the schools in your distric allow kids to go to the school part-time while home schooling, right? which is not allowed most places. here, also, in VA, dual enrolled means colllege and high school. What classes are you considering doing and why? Is it due to specail needs in your kids? If you can tell people the whole story it really makes it easier for them to be helpful.

01-23-2011, 10:18 AM
She is in Iowa. ;)

01-23-2011, 10:27 AM
Our kids are not special needs. We would be considering art, music, and sports. Probably not for a few years yet as I feel I can cover those subjects for now. But if they would like to play an instrument, or show a great interest in art, or want to play a sport, we would consider dual enrolling them so they could participate in those activities. They would be of no cost to us because the school does receive funding (though not the full funding like they would for a full time student) but if they charge say a supply fee or something to the students, we would of course also need to pay that.

The obvious con is that the school and therefore government is more involved in your business than they would otherwise, but I didn't know if anybody had any experience in this area, either positive or negative.

I was under the impression that dual enrollment was available in most places, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Thank you all for your help, though.

01-23-2011, 10:34 AM
If your main goal is free tests, go through the state list of accepted ones (I see the CAT/6 and SAT, as well as ITBS). I have seen links here, and elsewhere around the net for nationally normed, home administered tests for less than 50.00 (example here http://faceschool.org/shop/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=2)

Homeschool rules and standards vary hugely. In my state, you enroll in a cover school, and the state is completely removed from the equation. They offer nothing, but they also require nothing.

01-23-2011, 01:13 PM
I too have only heard of college duel enrollment. It is quite costly here is SC. No financial aid for that and we can't even transfer to out of state and use her credits. We passed on it. If I'm getting what you are saying I think either home schooling or kindergarten not both too much for a 5 year old I think anyway, unless you count home work as home schooling. Depends on how you look at it I guess.

01-23-2011, 06:52 PM
We use the HSAP here. (Iowa) I enrolled DD in it so I would know that she is learning what she is suppose to be. I get a "supporting teacher" to check out her papers, quiz her a little, DD reads for her, etc. We have to see her 8 out of the 9 months of the school year. The school gets to claim DD for a certain percentage and I get the teacher for free. We see her once a month, the meeting lasts max 30 minutes. We could go to the school for art, music and P.E. but DD hasn't wanted to do that because the kids are monsters (her words).

I think the part I bolded above in Olive's message sums it up for me. If that phrase makes you think, "yeah, that's a good check so we know we're on track and wow, a free teacher!" then maybe it's for you. If that phrase makes you go, "what do you mean, 'supposed to be'?!? As if the public schools have any clue about what kids are supposed to be learning anyway!" then probably not for you. Just sayin'.

I wouldn't do it. No one employed by the public schools gets to tell me how to teach my kids. But that's just me - and I'm totally in support of more programs like giving homeschoolers more options. But we don't have either option here.

01-23-2011, 10:26 PM
Thanks Olive for sharing your experience. Since we aren't legally required to report anything until 1st grade we definitely won't do the ST for K. I hadn't realized that you met so many times with a supporting teacher, I thought it was more like using a supervising teacher*, but just through the ps system. For my comfort level, I'd rather not have a supporting teacher be such a presence in our homeschooling life.

*In Iowa in order to homeschool, you have to have a supervising teacher if you opt out of testing and HSAP. The supervising teacher has to meet with you a few times throughout the year, I believe it's once or twice a semester and some of those can be over the phone.