70g packet of hazelnuts
200g dark chocolate
1/2 tin (about 195g) of sweetened condensed milk
50g butter
1/2 cup crystallized ginger, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup candied cherries, whole or cut in half- you choose
24 small muffin (this is more like a candy sized paper cup) baking cups

Method
Line the compartments of two muffin tins with the small baking cups, set aside.

In a microwave proof bowl, combine chocolate, sweetened condensed milk and butter. Microwave until all ingredients begin to melt. Remove and stir until all ingredients are incorporated. Pour hazelnuts into chocolate mixture and stir until well coated. Split the chocolate mixture into two containers and add ginger to one and cherries to the other. Mix each well making sure all nuts and cherries/ginger are well coated.

Spoon mixture into baking cups distributing the mixture evenly amongst the cups. Place muffin tins in the refrigerator. Chocs should be well set before removing to serve. Enjoy!

Wilma
01-21-2011, 07:24 AM
How would this work without the hazelnuts? DH is allergic to tree nuts. I assume the choc would set up and hold it all together.

Busygoddess
01-21-2011, 07:26 AM
I'm not a fan of hazelnuts, but I'm sure I could substitute something else. This is one of those things the kids could make. Maybe I'll have Jay make it for whichever Easter we end up going to.

Amerikiwimom
01-21-2011, 01:49 PM
You should be able to substitute the nuts. I haven't because we like hazelnuts but other nuts that I can think of that might be nice are almonds or macadamia nuts. The combination of the chocolate and the SCM does hold everything together nicely. I do have the kids make this as it is a totally kid-friendly recipe. It is great for holidays and also as a gift.

The only other tip I would offer for this recipe is to use a good quality chocolate-not a sugary one like cadbury.

Amerikiwimom
01-21-2011, 01:52 PM
How would this work without the hazelnuts? DH is allergic to tree nuts. I assume the choc would set up and hold it all together.

Sorry! just re-read your post and "noticed" the tree nut allergy. Yes, you can take the nuts out completely! What about substituting something else to add body to the finished products? Any thoughts?

dbmamaz
01-21-2011, 02:25 PM
broken bits of pretzel? or chinese noodles? or sunflower seeds? or you really could probably skip them. I sometimes melt chocolate and stir in various things. its never tasted bad.

Amerikiwimom
01-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Yeah Cara! You make a great point. I've never had a bad chocolate experience:)