PDA

View Full Version : What's for Dinner?

Busygoddess
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Since this area is all about food, anyone want to sound off on tonight's dinner (and maybe add the recipe in case anyone wants)?

We're having beef stew.
The beef has been in the crockpot since about 7am (it's about 2:15 now). I just sauteed some green onions & baby bellas in butter & white wine. Then added flour, carrots, red potatoes, garlic, broth, basil, freshly ground black pepper, sea salt, an orange & its juice, and the beef (including the broth it's been cooking in). It will simmer for the next 3 hours (we eat at 5). I'll be pulling out the orange quarters before we eat it.

I'm having hubby stop and pick up a loaf of italian or french bread to go with it. I'm still sick & not feeling up to making bread today.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 03:22 PM
I really love stew, but dh and Raven wont eat it. Since Heron is gone, it seems silly to make stew for just me and Orion, at least more than once a year

We're having turkey pot pie - the kids asked for it, so we had a turkey yesterday, broth is simmering in the slow cooker. I'll be off to make the crust soon, then a quick run to the grocery for a few basics, and back to throw the filling together and get it in the oven.

oh, and thanks, I was thinking I wanted to start this thread - but i was away from the puter . . . its been a day . .

Busygoddess
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
What kind of pan to do cook your pot pie in? I've been wanting to make homemade pot pie, but I'm thinking my normal pie pans are a bit too shallow. I was thinking of getting a decent sized, deep cast iron pan & trying that.

BTW, turkey pot pie sounds great!

inmom
01-20-2011, 03:37 PM
We use our normal pie pans. However, we make enough for 2 or 3 and freeze the extras.

Kristina Breece
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
We're having chicken fajitas tonight. Lots of green peppers, because they're Aaron's favorites. And cooking DH's chicken separately because he can't do spicy foods or peppers.

ETA: For pot pies, I use a deep dish pie pan. In fact, I pretty much always use the deep dish pie pan.

lynne
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
We're having grilled marinated pork chops, baked asparagus with garlic and parmesan and au gratin potatoes.

KristinK
01-20-2011, 03:40 PM
mmm I absoultely LOVE turkey pot pie. My kids hate it though. how can you NOT like puff pastry??? they're weird.

we're having leftovers tonight, as it's figure skating night, which is a rush (it's at 5-6pm). Last night I did homemade pizza, so we're re-heating that. (homemade crust done with a combo of white/red-fife and corn flours, topped with leftover spaghetti sauce, leftover taco meat, olives and peppers, plus cheese). hmmm, that makes tonight double-leftover night I guess, since the pizza was made with leftovers...

lynne
01-20-2011, 04:10 PM
Busygoddess - do you thicken the broth to make it like a gravy consistency? I always struggle with that step. I can not make gravy. I always end up with clumps of flour.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 04:11 PM
Well, we dont use puff pastry, we use a home-made gfcf pie crust. I use a slightly deep pie pan, or a lasagna pan for a double recipes. The kids love the crust, so we dont really want it TOO deep anyways!

Lynn, I started broiling asparagus - its the only way i've managed not to over-cook it (dh likes them still crisp)

Pilgrim
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
I really love stew, but dh and Raven wont eat it. Since Heron is gone, it seems silly to make stew for just me and Orion, at least more than once a year.

Story of our life! We all like such different things that we often prepare 2-3 different meals just for the four of us. DW tries to do no-carb, DD is practically vegetarian, and I'm picky. Once in a while, we'll make homemade soup or chili or stew, and simply have to plan on sharing some of it with the neighbors.

DD has a friend over. It's taco night.

Busygoddess
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Busygoddess - do you thicken the broth to make it like a gravy consistency? I always struggle with that step. I can not make gravy. I always end up with clumps of flour.

Yeah, I like my stew thick, otherwise it's soup. I added the flour to the pot right after I sauteed the onions & mushrooms. If you whisk the flour with just a little liquid & then slowly add in the rest of the liquid, whisking or stirring as you add, it shouldn't be clumpy.

Busygoddess
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks everyone for letting me know how you do the pot pies.

My preferred way of cooking asparagus is either sauteed in olive oil with garlic or broiled with a drizzle of olive oil, a splash of balsamic vinegar, some fresh ground pepper, and a pinch of sea salt. I like it to be crisp.

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Well, it was supposed to be lasagna with turkey Italian sausage and baby spinach salads. But I forgot to get more Parmesan cheese and I don't feel like dragging the kids out in the cold for it (and I've been battling a three-day migraine), so it's pasta and frozen turkey meatballs instead. :(

I think beef stew is going on my menu for next week--sounds great!

Kristina Breece
01-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Well, it was supposed to be lasagna with turkey Italian sausage and baby spinach salads. But I forgot to get more Parmesan cheese and I don't feel like dragging the kids out in the cold for it (and I've been battling a three-day migraine), so it's pasta and frozen turkey meatballs instead. :(

I think beef stew is going on my menu for next week--sounds great!

Pasta with turkey meatballs is our fool-proof fall back plan around here, too. :-) DH won't eat anything with processed tomatoes, though, so I keep a small batch of Alfredo sauce on hand for him.

Amerikiwimom
01-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Tonight we are all going out for tapas but last night we had Hungarian Goulash for dinner. Although it is summer here and we try to keep to light meals the kids were really craving goulash. It was very tasty and usually hits the spot:)

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 05:06 PM
My pot pie recipe is based on this: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Turkey-Pot-Pie-I/Detail.aspx I use leftover gravy instead of milk, and stir in a little corn starch to that, so I dont saute the meat.

When I made the lasagna and no one liked it but me, i froze it in small portions so I can break it out whenever i want it.

For thickening stew, my mom always dredged the meat in flour before browning it, and then added everything to that. The potatoes should break down some and thicken it, too. The other option is to disolve a small amount of corn starch in to cold water until smooth, and stir that in to thicken it. (like 2 tb corn starch and 1/4 c water?)

lynne
01-20-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for the thickening tips. I have never tried the corn starch.

We decided to throw the asparagus on the grill:)

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 05:45 PM
for some reason I dont think i lit the grill once last year. Charcoal seemed like the cheap way to go, but its been almost 8 years and i'm kinda burnt out on it

wild_destiny
01-20-2011, 06:19 PM
UMMM!!! That ALL sounds so good! Brandi--you had me at hello! (Or with your beef stew description!) Can we say "scrumptious"! At our boring house, we are having tacos. Nowhere near as yummy sounding as the dinners most of you are having.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
tacos is my 7 yo's favorite, after pizza!

Sam
01-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Oooooh I love what's for dinner threads!!!

Ashamed though, we went quick and easy, fast fry steaks with onions, peppers and mushrooms with packaged scalloped potatoes.

dbmamaz
01-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Well, looks like we ate more than half of that turkey pot pie, so I need to make dinner again. The boys have been asking for (gfcf) mac-n-cheese and i've been wanting chili (another good use for some of that leftover turkey meat), but i have to run to the store soon to pick up some peppers and soy cheese. I would assume that would make tomorrow a good leftovers day, but its a high of 32, which sure sounds like a soup day . . . decisions, decisions.

Riceball_Mommy
01-21-2011, 10:19 AM
Today we are going to have chili, I'm trying out my new slow cooker finally.

lynne
01-21-2011, 10:42 AM
I have frozen shrimp and not sure what to do with it. Maybe shrimp linguini? Although I have never tried to make that. I think I need to search allrecipes, unless someone here has an idea?

Kristina Breece
01-21-2011, 11:00 AM
We do shrimp linguini & I usually just make a white wine sauce. I saute onions in olive oil, add a little flour, cook for a few minutes (but not to the point of browning), add white wine, garlic, and shrimp (sometimes a touch of lemon juice) & let the sauce simmer for a few minutes, until the shrimp are warm. Then I toss it all together before serving.

Sorry-- I'm awful with recipes. I don't measure anything unless I'm baking.

dbmamaz
01-21-2011, 11:29 AM
I've been doing a broiled shrimp scampi - i love it and so do the boys! I nuke a few mushrooms w a bit of margerine and chopped garlic, throw that in the bottom of a broiler pan, and some snow peas, and a bit of broth and wine and juice of a lemon, and the shrimp, and a little parsley - toss it all together, broil like 3-4 minutes, stir, broil about 2 more minutes, depending on the size of the shrimp. I boil down the liquid afterwards to reduce it and serve over pasta.

lynne
01-21-2011, 11:52 AM
Thanks! Both of those sound SO good.

lynne
01-21-2011, 12:13 PM
I think I'm going to try this one, with a tomato sauce.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe-Tools/Print/Recipe.aspx?RecipeID=117238&origin=detail&servings=6

dbmamaz
01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
its hard to do something bad with shrimp - as long as you dont overcook them