PDA

View Full Version : A good alternative to flavored creamers?

Wilma
01-20-2011, 01:13 PM
Please!!!!
My New Year's resolution was not a diet but making healthy choices. White Chocolate Raspberry Mousse creamer does not strike me as healthy. I am sipping a cup of coffee right now with vanilla soy milk and grimacing and shuddering with each sip. Any suggestions? Recipes?

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 01:18 PM
LOL I LOVE my coffee w vanilla soy milk! But i also add some real maple syrup (no sugar). Part of it is just what you are used to. YOu could try some flavored teas as variety. Also, using a better quality coffee makes a difference, too. There arent many coffees i'm willing to drink.

MrsLOLcat
01-20-2011, 01:33 PM
I'm interested in this as well (she said while sipping her coffee with vanilla latte creamer). I go to the store and get all this great food (organic food, stuff to make recipes from scratch, etc.) and then buy creamer... and it just doesn't seem to fit. I'd love to see alternatives.

Busygoddess
01-20-2011, 02:10 PM
Flavored creamer is actually the healthier & less expensive option for me. Without flavored creamer, I would have to add a few shots of flavor syrup, several sponnfuls of sugar, and milk or Half & Half (and it couldn't be skim milk we buy for everything else, it would have to be whole milk). I would have to add all of that even to high quality, flavored coffee. Flavored creamer replaces all of that. I tried vanilla almond milk once, to replace creamer, but that didn't work for me.

I used to work in a bagel place that also did gourmet coffee. I kind of got spoiled on coffee. That was after being a manager at McDonald's and finding out that the best drink first thing in the morning is half French Vanilla Cappuccino, half hot chocolate, with vanilla ice cream mixed in. I've been so spoiled on coffee that I don't buy coffee when I'm out, not even Starbucks.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
That was one of the great things about the allergy diet - in general, we always want more/better - more flavor, better texture, a new flavor, even better version. Its really hard to move backwards and not feel resentful. So having to eat a very spartan diet for a long time made it easier to enjoy simpler things.

lynne
01-20-2011, 03:31 PM
My husband is totally addicted to Hazelnut creamer. I know the oils in it aren't healthy, never mind the calories but he can't drink his coffee without it. Half and half and sugar doesn't cut it for him. I haven't been able to find a better option for him yet. I drink tea with sugar, half & half and cinnamon.

Wilma
01-20-2011, 04:15 PM
I read that Jillian Michaels uses coconut milk. It is good in my chai tea, but I dunno about coffee. That is good oil though. Of course, so is olive oil and cod liver oil.

laundrycrisis
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
I hate vanilla soymilk in coffee. Instead I use the unsweetened, unflavored Silk in the green carton. If I want flavor, I add a little hazelnut syrup. At least it has no gross weird oils in it.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 05:08 PM
Vanilla soy MILK doenst have weird stuff, only the vanilla soy CREAMER does.

Kristina Breece
01-20-2011, 05:10 PM
I like vanilla almond milk in my coffee.

Sam
01-20-2011, 07:15 PM
I AM on the diet track and looking for ways to cut down on my flavoured creamers (which I looooove). I started out by making a reg coffee with my normal creamer. Now I'm a slow drinker so I spend my days topping up a half full cup. What I've done is just keep pouring black coffee on til I can't stand the taste. THEN I'll add more creamer. Also today I made a new discovery too. Flavoured coffee. Yes, I've had it before but never really paid attention to the taste. Today I was able to go a loooooot darker with adding black coffee before I noticed my creamer running out. A cheaper way to have flavoured coffee is to add extracts. About 1 tsp-tbs (depending how strong you want your flavour) in the grounds when you make a pot of coffee is YUM!

jess
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I read that Jillian Michaels uses coconut milk. It is good in my chai tea, but I dunno about coffee. That is good oil though. Of course, so is olive oil and cod liver oil.
I can't do dairy right now, so I use coconut milk in coffee.

I admit, I much prefer half and half, but coconut milk is very easy to adjust to. it's a lot creamier than other non-dairy milks, and I definitely prefer it over soy milk, flavored or not.

dbmamaz
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
see, i'm dairy free, but not particularly on a diet (tho i try to be pretty concientous) - i like a little kahlua in my coffee! But i only drink coffee when dh is home (it sometimes bothers my stomach, too) - other days i drink chai tea - with vanilla soy milk.

outskirtsofbs
01-21-2011, 01:01 PM
You guys are killing me talking about the coffee--I had to stop drinking it. Please drink a cup for me.

Wilma
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Is Bailey's dairy free? That is very creamy.

dbmamaz
01-21-2011, 02:33 PM
No, Bailey's is not dairy free. but i always liked kahlua better anyways. I've learned to simply live without the creaminess you get from dairy - nothing quite replaces it. I miss cheese all the time, but i was never huge on cream in my coffee. And i preferred lowfat milk and frozen yoghurt. Cheese, tho . . . was my favorite food forever. I couldnt figure out why anyone would want a hamburger when you could have a cheeseburger. I put cheese on EVERYTHING. For our wedding, hubby and i went out tasting cheeses to have at the reception. We plan to go back to the fondue place some day, when I have a few days off to lay around sick in bed afterwards . . . it was our favorite date place. But we really only ever liked the cheese fondues . . .

mommykicksbutt
01-22-2011, 11:37 AM
I like vanilla almond milk in my coffee.

I second that. It's easy to make your own. Nut milk in any nut flavor, plus lots of ways to sweeten it and add additional flavors (like vanilla and chocolate). Coffee is one cooked indulgence I allow myself. Living in rural Spain with the nearest Starbucks 2 hours away, it's nice to do the gourmet coffee at home. :)

missourimom
01-25-2011, 11:08 AM
I've switched from creamers to Torani SF syrups & unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or original if I can't get the unsweetened vanilla).
I buy the syrups on Amazon thru their subscribe & save so I get 3 big bottles (chocolate & vanilla are the current faves) for about $13 & right now they have an additional 15% off code on the pages.
I bought a $10 manual frother on Amazon (I'm an Amazon junkie!) & while it doesn't give Starbucks or premier steamer/frother maker results it does give a nice foam for the top of your coffee.
Just heat some almond milk on the stove, add the syrup, froth & add to hot coffee. Yum.

pandahoneybee
01-25-2011, 04:08 PM
I use very vanilla soy milk and stevia in my tea and it tastes yummy;) Of course had I know that there was something like White Chocolate Raspberry Mousse creamer out there, I probably would have been addicted to it already;) and be off to sugar rehab!