PDA

View Full Version : E-Reading for Toddlers?

Mitchie123
11-15-2019, 10:10 PM
Hi,

I have a 3 year old child and I would want to get him lots of books. He is also diagnosed to have a delay in speech, so I am more encouraged now to get him more books. Due to our limited space, and I saw this write up, https://thewiredshopper.com/tips-for-choosing-an-e-reader-and-e-book-service-for-children/,
it made me think I can probably get an Ebook.

I like the feeling of turning a page when reading to my kid, but thinking that he rips of a page every now and then, I thought maybe its already time to
have an E-book Tool. But as mommies and homeschooling advocates, may I know your take on this? What are your thoughts?

Your feedback is highly appreciated.

Thank you.

alexsmom
11-15-2019, 11:23 PM
Welcome!
I dont think there is anything wrong with ebooks for any age of child. Tablets are pretty darn convenient devices for learning apps and books!
That said, I would suggest you start with your local libraryís collection of picture books. Other than a few favorite books, most of the time youíll only go through these books for about a week. Ive noticed the free ebooks that are picture books are.... not generally a high quality. Buying published ebooks would quickly become prohibitively expensive, and again... you will go through them very quickly.
Libraries are made for this sort of book turnover. My library, I know from experience, is also very forgiving of what happens when toddlers and preschoolers are reading books with their parents. (They also prefer to repair pages themselves.) Beloved books can be bought, in whatever form floats your boat! Considering how many duds we have picked out from the library, Im exceedingly grateful that our library was there for the free trials. ;)
My youngest sonís apraxia has given him all sorts of speech and language processing delays.... and our favorite books for the longest time were narrative picture books with no words. We would spend a lot of time looking at the pictures, discussing (well, me talking, mostly) what was going on. Im sure your sonís speech therapist has all sorts of ways they want you to work with him.
But save yourself the money, go through the library first!

inmom
11-16-2019, 06:46 AM
Alexsmom gave you great suggestions. If you want to purchase some books without worry of wear and tear, resale shops and garage sale usually have tons of childrens' books for next to nothing! If you only paid 5 cents, you won't worry about rips and tears.

Just be clear that when the book is special, or not yours (library) it is treated with more care.Your son is very young. This will take time.

Mariam
11-16-2019, 07:26 PM
Also, remember there are lots of picture books that have a board book equivalent. For cheap books for home, check out the library book sales. They are so inexpensive and you don't have to worry about damage.