PDA

View Full Version : Specail diets, check in!

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 09:58 AM
I know I'm not the only one with a limited diet around here any more, lets get us all in one thread!

Teri
01-20-2011, 10:10 AM
Our big limitation (besides just general pickiness) is my oldest son. He is allergic to poultry, legumes and soy. It has gotten more severe the older he has gotten.
It is an unusual limitation and a pain in the butt! :p

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 10:15 AM
My boys and I are all on limited diets. None of us can have dairy or gluten, although Orion can handle some dairy. Raven reacts terribly to artificail colors and preservatives (biting and hitting). Orion's tests showed he had issues with tomato, onion, chick pea and sunflowers, but over time he's tried them and seems fine with them.

I also react to tapioca, sorghum, and xanthan gum, which rules out pretty much every pre-packaged gluten free item on the planet. I also react to green peas (so I dont do things with pea protien), canola oil, turmeric, and fish (but shrimp seem ok - and salmon might be alright too). I can react to wheat air-borne - going to someone's house after they were baking has made me ill more than once. I can get stomach reactions, fatigue, and depression from my food reactions. I also have big yeast problems, and avoided all fermented foods for a while, but i'm allowing them in small quantities now.

I've been on my food trip for 3 years now, and I feel much healthier. I was also allergic to wheat and milk as an infant, diagnosed by food challenge. Orion and I both were tested for celiac but came out normal.

Oh, and just to make things more fun - my husband cant handle eggs (except cooked in something is ok because you get so little) or anything with gravy, including stew or creamy soups.

Plus beef is hard for us all to digest, but small amounts of bison and grass-fed beef seem ok, and i am iffy with pork!

Teri
01-20-2011, 10:37 AM
It sounds like we would not be able to eat dinner together! :lol
I forgot we can't do shrimp or raw tomatoes either. Those are much easier to avoid.
We do LOTS of beef, pork, pasta, grains

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Yeah, when I work hard to come up w a new recipe thats safe for my family, and tell my mom, she says I should write a cookbook . . . i'm thinking, but everyone in the food allergy community has DIFFERENT allergies . . that makes it so hard to coordinate or share recipes

MarkInMD
01-20-2011, 11:22 AM
Hurricane is allergic to milk and peanut (used to also be to eggs and tomatoes, but have since outgrown). My mother has celiac so is therefore gluten-free. Coming up with holiday desserts is usually interesting!

Teri
01-20-2011, 11:40 AM
No "special" diet cookbook that I have ever seen addresses someone having an anaphylactic reaction to poultry. :p

naturegirl7
01-20-2011, 11:53 AM
As a house we are peanut free, soy free (in all forms, DS even reacts to vit E), tree nut free, dairy free, and sugar free.
DS and I are also gluten free, egg free, and most tropical fruits free.
DH and I are both corn free.
DS is also melon, nightshade veggies, and squash veggies free.

We also do a rotation diet of what we CAN eat, everything basically home made from scratch (including flour blends), and generally I make everything safe for all of us to eat - except we all do eat different pastas. Until recently DS was allergic to rice too which made it really hard.

My family is on me too about writing a cookbook - when would I find time?! I am too busy cooking! LOL

jess
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Due to various people in our household seeming to not react particularly well to various things in various ways, we try to generally follow the paleo diet. In addition, several of us avoid dairy to a greater or lesser extent, and I avoid eggs, because the baby seems sensitive to them. She seems to have problems with something else too (possibly beans, but lentils seem ok). And yes, I realize that none of the things I've mentioned are actually included in a strict paleo diet :)

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Oh, thats right, my husband hates beans too! He'll eat hummus, chili, and a small amount of beans in a vegetable soup. He says he's ok w canned beans in a salad, but canned beans bother me and its really hard to make dried beans come out firm like that.

MrsLOLcat
01-20-2011, 01:37 PM
No "special" diet cookbook that I have ever seen addresses someone having an anaphylactic reaction to poultry. :p

No, there aren't. I'm sensitive to poultry as well, especially chicken. It's not a true allergy, but if I have poultry more than, say, once a month, I get hives and a headache. It's extremely frustrating. I try to incorporate more vegetarian dishes and fish instead of more red meat.

Thankfully, other than HFCS and red dye, that's the only allergy we seem to have.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 03:21 PM
We eat a LOT of turkey. Chicken seemed to be iffy for my stomach for a while, but I seem to be handling it better these days.

Amerikiwimom
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
I am on a modified Low FODMAP diet. My DH and three of the kids are all LI. It gets interesting but I can usually whip up something that is nutritionally sound, that the kids will eat and that tastes yummy.

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 05:07 PM
Amerikiwi, plz define your acronyms!

Amerikiwimom
01-20-2011, 10:29 PM
The Low FODMAP diet is based upon research going on in Australia to help people with IB type symptoms. You can read more about it here http://shepherdworks.com.au/disease-information/low-fodmap-diet

mommykicksbutt
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM
I have some food allergies - molds (cheese and anything fermented), fungus (mushrooms), yeasts (wine, beer, - not breads thought because the yeast is cooked therefore dead). For sonny it's dairy.

For this whole month I've been trying my hand at going raw vegan. Almost 3 weeks in and I've lost 12 pounds, have not had cravings (thought I'd be jonesing for a cheeseburger by now), and feel really very good. Sonny is starting to show interest (he is very fit) and has tried some of my gourmet veggie art and like it.

dbmamaz
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
LOL mommy, your siggy quote seems somewhat incongruent with your post!

mommykicksbutt
01-22-2011, 11:40 AM
LOL mommy, your siggy quote seems somewhat incongruent with your post!

Yeah, I know, but I have raw almond pulp (from making almond milk) cookies in the dehydrator right now (only pure almond, honey, cinnamon, and raisins.... yum!)

dbmamaz
01-22-2011, 01:00 PM
ahhh i see

Batgirl
01-23-2011, 12:12 AM
I'm on the paleo diet--no grains, legumes or much sugar. I'm also sensitive to caffeine and allergic to dairy. The kids don't participate in the diet but as Batman has gotten more and more rigid about his diet (mainly grains, no fruits/veg, little meat, some dairy) I'm toying with trying the gfcf diet for a few months to see if it has any effect on his behaviour.

jess
01-27-2011, 08:38 PM
We eat a LOT of turkey. Chicken seemed to be iffy for my stomach for a while, but I seem to be handling it better these days.
We eat a lot of turkey because it's super duper cheap after the holidays and we have a big freezer :)

bcnlvr
01-27-2011, 09:20 PM
We eat kind of like Batgirl, but it's called Primal. It's like paleo but more fat. No grains, legumes, sugar or dairy (unless it is fermented, cultured, or raw).

bl

PaganHSMama
01-27-2011, 10:33 PM
As a whole, we are soy, gluten and sugar free, as well as ANYTHING artificial. Individually - I am allergic to dairy & nuts and sensitive to citrus, yeast & meat; my son is allergic to eggs and more gluten-sensitive than I am; my fiance is similar to me; and my daughter has no allergies or sensitivities that I know of.

StartingOver
01-27-2011, 11:12 PM
My little Emma is Anaphylactic to Eggs, Cow's Milk, and allergic to wheat. Everything is challenging. She has reacted to just trace milk on a table. So I live with my Clorox wipes and her Epi-Pens. I have learned to cook from scratch again. ;-)

raegan
01-28-2011, 11:58 AM
wow, I have found my tribe. :P

I'm intolerant to gluten, casein, soy, egg yolk, and lots of other things because when you have an underlying gluten and dairy intolerance and one of your favorite foods is fettuccine alfredo, you tend to get leaky gut and develop intolerances to everything else you're eating. I'm also intolerant to beef (and bison), certain fish, apple, sunflower, safflower, hazelnut, some fruits, zucchini, bell peppers, and lots more, including black pepper and rosemary. When I got the results back I was dumbfounded, but figured I could still have olive (oil), potatoes, onion, garlic, coffee, and chocolate--so life could be much worse. Since beginning the process of healing my gut and body this past April, I've been able to re-introduce a number of mild intolerances with no reactions--yay!

My DH is Muslim, so we don't eat pork, either. And I'm not supposed to eat chicken according to the blood type literature, but I do anyway for the time being. It's easier to be essentially vegan (except for some fish) in the summer/fall, but I'm a little burned out on the meat avoidance for the time being. (I've wondered if that's also biological, that my western European ancestry leaves me wanting meat in the winter...)

My boys have been gluten-free since July, and we are transitioning to a totally dairy-free household as well. I was elated this morning when my 5yo (who adores all things cow-milk-related) declared this morning that he really likes hemp milk!

(Incidentally, my endoscopy showed slightly blunted villi, but the biopsy results said it wasn't bad enough to meet the threshold for Celiac. Same with my blood test. BS. Just because I'm not ready to be fitted for a colostomy bag doesn't mean it wasn't in my future. Have I mentioned I can't stand western medicine most of the time?)

Firefly_Mom
01-29-2011, 01:15 AM
Wow - It's nice to know we're not alone. ;)

I'm what I call a "reluctant vegetarian" - anything that had a face doesn't agree with me (ranging from nausea to full-blown...you get the picture.) It all happened gradually, beginning with beef when I was pregnant with ds. The last things to go were fish and poultry about 6 years ago. I can handle dairy (though I limit it) and eggs. DS and I are both gluten-free and he can't handle pork, milk (though cheese doesn't seem to bother him too badly) and food colorings.

DH has a cast iron gut and can eat e-v-e-r-y-t-h-i-n-g!

As much of a pain as it has been, it's done wonders for our diet as nearly all restaurant meals are out (we do have a fabulous local Thai place that we can eat at, though.) It also means that pretty much every thing we eat is from scratch, which is great for our health - though sometimes I miss heading through the drive-thru! And if things changed tomorrow, you would find me happily munching through a bucket of KFC and a loaf of sourdough bread. :D

raegan
01-30-2011, 02:19 PM
And if things changed tomorrow, you would find me happily munching through a bucket of KFC and a loaf of sourdough bread. :D

HAHA! I recently got hooked on the show "Dead Like Me" on Netflix. It's about the grim reapers among us. I cannot help but fantasize EVERY time I watch it what it would be like to be "undead" and be able to eat any damn thing I wanted with no repercussions. sigh. (I have also had the same thoughts regarding my "last supper" if I knew ahead of time...)

Firefly_Mom
01-30-2011, 02:47 PM
HAHA! I recently got hooked on the show "Dead Like Me" on Netflix. It's about the grim reapers among us. I cannot help but fantasize EVERY time I watch it what it would be like to be "undead" and be able to eat any damn thing I wanted with no repercussions. sigh. (I have also had the same thoughts regarding my "last supper" if I knew ahead of time...)

Oh, I LOVE that show! But if I were a grim reaper, I think I'd pick someplace other than a waffle house to hang out in. LOL And I think the whole "last supper" thing is a pretty common fantasy among those with food issues. My son and I love to reminisce about long lost goodies. :D

porcupyne1
02-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I can eat whatever I want....but none of what I really want is in the house. :D

DH can't have gluten.
DS can't have gluten, dairy, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, or eggs
DD can't have gluten, melons, peanuts, tree nuts, or red dye.

In the last week, DD's lips have swollen up after eating a banana and then a cherry tomato...Not sure what's up there. I think we'll be going to the allergist's office in the near future....

dbmamaz
02-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Porcupyne, sounds about as crazy as our house - except we almost never get those kinds of swelling reactions. I do find, tho, that as spring does its thing, I start reacting to more foods. Often foods can cross-react with related plants that are flowering, or your immune system just goes in to overdrive with the pollen. It looks like tree pollen is just starting . . .

Laina
02-27-2011, 12:37 PM
We don't have allergies so we're a little different, but I'll chime in.

I've been a vegetarian since high school (no meat or fish), and since I do most of the cooking, we're pretty much a meat-free household. DD is now a full-on vegetarian and doesn't eat meat at all, but DH and DS occasionally have it when we get take-out.

DD has type 1 diabetes, and this restricts our food choices only a little bit--we don't drink much juice (unless she is having a low blood sugar) and buy low-sugar jellies and syrups. But I do have to count every single gram of carbohydrate that she eats so that I can give her the right amount of insulin. I have most carb counts for foods memorized, but when we do a poor job counting she could end up with a very high or very low blood sugar. At restaurants this can be a problem. If I ask the server whether they have info on the number of carbs in the food, they think I have my daughter on the Atkin's diet or something, and they usually don't have that info or it is inaccurate if they do. So I have to guess, and hope to be close to right.

We also eat organic as much as our budget allows.

3yo DS is on a self-imposed restricted diet of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and grapes.

Fiddler
02-27-2011, 01:02 PM
Ah, to walk into a restaurant and order whatever the heck I want--I seriously dream about it.

Jazz is allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, soy protein, and sunflower seeds. He used to be allergic to eggs but either grew out of it or those NAET acupressure treatments we paid through the nose for really worked, at least for that one food. He is somewhat lactose intolerant and self-limits his dairy intake.

I can't eat soy (including soy lecithin, which is in practically everything, including almost all chewing gum), eggs, tomatoes (the absolute hardest to live without), beef, white fish, peanuts, green beans, and bananas. And dairy is something I should avoid all the time but eat about 33% of the time because I LOVE CHEESE.

DH can eat anything. Jane can eat anything. JJ *can* eat anything, but eats about four foods (strawberry yogurt, pbj sandwiches, noodles, and rice).

jess
02-27-2011, 01:42 PM
In the last week, DD's lips have swollen up after eating a banana and then a cherry tomato...Not sure what's up there. I think we'll be going to the allergist's office in the near future....

Both of these, and some of the other things you've mentioned for your DD, are common cross-reactants for people with latex allergies.

obimomkenobi
03-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Wow - It's nice to know we're not alone. ... (we do have a fabulous local Thai place that we can eat at, though.) ... And if things changed tomorrow, you would find me happily munching through a bucket of KFC and a loaf of sourdough bread. :D

Firefly_Mom, how could you be alone when you know I'm here?

Just to add our goofyness to the mix, Padawan Learner has a vile reaction to all forms of dairy - and, I fear, eggs. Dad Windu has allergic reactions to all melons, certain types of fish, and apples. He also has ulcers which means he's not supposed to eat any acidic foods (tomatoes, citrus, coffee, tea), anything alcoholic, carbonated or caffeinated, or spicy. I can't eat gluten or dairy. Yeah, we're a joy to cook for (much to my in-law's despair).

Thankfully, we do ok with grass-fed meats so that's a true saving grace in my kitchen (can an atheist say that?), and - like Firefly_Mom - we also have a great little local Thai place that we can all eat at. At a moment's notice, just for the record, I'd be knee deep in homemade, whole wheat bread if given the option. I'd even share (after the first loaf or two).

Fiddler
03-26-2011, 09:19 PM
a true saving grace in my kitchen (can an atheist say that?)

Hee, hee. I think we can make an exception for phrases like this. Not to turn this into the random conversation thread, but have you guys seen this site (http://users.tinyonline.co.uk/gswithenbank/sayindex.htm)? Makes for a fun distraction when one is supposed to be doing other things.

obimomkenobi
03-26-2011, 10:03 PM
Oh, great, Fiddler. There goes my weekend.... :-)

Fiddler
03-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Glad I could help. ;)

raegan
03-30-2011, 12:48 AM
I don't have experience w/ acute allergies like that one, so no advice.

I wanted to chime in that, nearly a year to the day of going off of dairy, gluten, soy, eggs, and about a zillion other things...

*I ATE AT A RESTAURANT YESTERDAY*

...and survived! We went to PF Chang's, which is known for its extensive GF menu and food restriction awareness, for my older son's 6th Birthday because his favorite food ever is Chinese anything. So I had soy, and gobs of it. I haven't had any pain (which I did have with some soy flour in a GF graham cracker last summer), and only a little bit of a reaction (I'll spare you the details).

I'm so psyched...this means I can eat out like a normal-ish human being when we go on our 3-wk vacation in a couple months. Even if that means hitting up every Chipotle from KC to San Francisco. ;) I can deal with the repercussions during that time, and start re-healing once I get back home in June.

dbmamaz
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Thats great Raegan! I need to start testing some of my foods again - like canola oil - if i could handle canola, that would make eating out much easier. Tapioca and xanthan would mean i can eat gf store-bought items. It is scary tho - I can react to air-borne wheat for several days after exposure. Its NOT something I would want to risk on a road trip.

Firefly_Mom
03-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Firefly_Mom, how could you be alone when you know I'm here?.

My apologies, OBK. I don't know what I was thinking. :D

Alanna Rosewood
03-30-2011, 04:47 PM
I've just discovered that I may have Menieres Diesease which is an inner ear imbalance issue.
Everything in my life can/is a possible trigger:
Coffee
Sugar-oh my beloved ice cream
salt/sodium-asian,pizza,mexican
sleep issues
stress
allergies

So that being said I'm out for revenge,lol. Just ordered my Vita-Mix and really looking at creating my own foods and working with "the green smoothies".....

mommykicksbutt
04-03-2011, 08:30 AM
I've just discovered that I may have Menieres Diesease which is an inner ear imbalance issue.

My daughter has that! Its far more that just an inner ear imbalance. She's suffered through it for almost 7 years now, has lost most of her hearing in her left ear, wears a hearing aid to compensate for some of the loss and the right ear still fluctuates. The DMV has threatened to take her driver's lic away because of the disease. It is NO FUN!!!! She's on 19 different drugs has developed so many allergies that it includes all but 2 antibiotics and has gain over 100 pounds (because of the drugs). You have my deepest and most sincere sympathy! Just hope your isn't as full blown as hers.