PDA

View Full Version : This isnt my fault is it?

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 09:57 AM
I know I was talking about food an AWFUL lot on the random thread . .. i think someone even asked for a recipe and I was trying to imagine where I would put it. SO if someone did want a recipe . . . just say something.

Oh, i have an idea for a better thread .. .

wild_destiny
01-20-2011, 11:33 AM
Fault? You make it sound like it's a bad thing. :) You inspired something good, so take heart! ;)

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 12:45 PM
Oh, good then!

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
The food conversation was fun, especially the "arguments" about mayo vs. Miracle Whip. I think the food forum is a great idea!

Wilma
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
what argument? It's a fact. Mayo is better. Do we have to go over this again?

No Cara, it wasn't your fault. I suggested it because I am stuck in a rut. However, you made me remember I have a pie recipe I should post. But we will give you credit for your subliminal suggestion to start a recipe forum!:)

And as a heads up -CROCK POT RECIPES WOULD BE APPRECIATED!:

AddlepatedMonkeyMama
01-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Ann, there's a great cookbook called "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" by Beth Hensperger that I use a lot. Also, Cooking Light has good recipes that you can search for on their website. I hear that America's Test Kitchen is coming out with a slow cooker cookbook this year.

Yes, I realize this post belongs in the food forum!

dbmamaz
01-20-2011, 01:16 PM
I havent found the crock pot to be as useful for cooking in as i thought. Ok, it does make the most amazingly smooth hummus if you cook the chick peas for several hours in the crock pot. I will make some of my standard soups and stews in the crock pot, but i feel like 'cook on low for 7 hours' never actually gets cooked, so I cant imagine leaving something in the crockpot all day while i was at work. I use the crock pot by starting on high to get it hot, and then letting thing simmer for a long time without worrying about burning - but i dont find them that much more convenient than the stove. Except for making broth, which i do for 24 hours

In fact, that slow cooker lasagna . . . the noodles were soggy and the cheese never melted. I'll definitely bake it next time. The nuked leftovers are SO much better, just cuz they actually get hot. and dont MAKE me think about the fact that i put an egg in to the tofu mixture, which we probably ate undercooked.

Ok, i do have one chicken recipe in the slowcooker my husband likes: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Kathys-Delicious-Whole-Slow-Cooker-Chicken/Detail.aspx you do have to remove the skin, i use much less oil, i cant do the vinegar, increase the broth, and put some ginger, celery, mushrooms and sliced red pepper in. Plus I use juice of half a lemon plus the zest. really, i prefer roasted chicken, but hubby loves the way the veggies come out.

wild_destiny
01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
what argument? It's a fact. Mayo is better. Do we have to go over this again?

No Cara, it wasn't your fault. I suggested it because I am stuck in a rut. However, you made me remember I have a pie recipe I should post. But we will give you credit for your subliminal suggestion to start a recipe forum!:)

And as a heads up -CROCK POT RECIPES WOULD BE APPRECIATED!:

Is it terrible that I am relieved that you are stuck in a rut, Ann? :) Just that you are like a goddess among homeschooling moms, so it's a relief to know that even you have your days. We are TOTALLY stuck in a rut, in a lot of things. Guess I'm just glad not to be the only one! (And Miracle Whip is better on certain things. Sorry to have to burst your mayo bubble!)

Riceball_Mommy
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I havent found the crock pot to be as useful for cooking in as i thought.
Personally I'm rather worried about finding this out too. I got a crock pot for Christmas and haven't taken it out of the box yet. I'm going to use it for the first time tomorrow to make chili (I got a slow-cooker chili seasoning packet to try), every recipe I've seen hasn't been very appealing and even with the chili I'm wondering if 8 hours on low will be any different from my grandmother's 20 on the stove (she makes her chili with the same brand seasoning just not the slow-cooker one).

I'm also going to see if the library has that book that was mentioned. I'll have to look through that.

Wilma
01-20-2011, 03:30 PM
Just that you are like a goddess among homeschooling moms, so it's a relief to know that even you have your days.

Huh?:confused:

wild_destiny
01-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Huh?:confused:

I did not mean to make you uncomfortable, Ann. I only meant that because we all think of you so highly, it is a (horrible, I know) relief that you have your own issues. (Like seeing Miss America trip.) ;) Gosh, this sounds really bad! I honestly don't wish ill on anyone, just saying that finding out about the problems of others helps keep your own in check.

LOL And that is as far with an explanation as I am going, cause it seems to be that when I get one foot in my mouth and try to take it out, I only end up adding the other foot, and eventually my fists, till I am stuck on my back with no usable limbs. Very humbling! :) Anyway, seriously hope that did not make you feel singled out in an odd way. And good luck getting out of your cooking rut, this new forum should help a lot of us! :) --Oh goodness. I think I am going to take up drinking as my new hobby. Any good wines (not too expensive) out there?

Wilma
01-20-2011, 08:13 PM
That's okay! I remember the relief I felt when a good friend of mine told me her dh yelled at their kids. I'm not alone!!
Rejoice!

I am currently enjoying a lovely glass of Beaujolais Nouveau in my wine glasses I got 18/$10. I think we have 7 left. Not to imply anything.