PDA

View Full Version : Hello all!

LJean
03-30-2010, 01:16 PM
I am glad to find a secular homeschool forum. I doubt I will have any luck finding one to actually visit with around here.

I have one daughter, who is currently in the fifth grade in public school. She wants out. ;) I guess she realized public school wasn't as fun as it was made out to be. ;)

I started out homeschooling her, but got outvoted (by my husband and daughter) when she was to hit second grade. With all her friends in school, telling her how much fun it is.. well.. That and my husband doesn't want us to homeschool. He will be in for a shock when I let him know that we will be homeschooling again!
Shhh.. don't tell him yet. ;)

I'm looking forward to chatting with you all!
L (who wishes to remain anonymous until she is prepared for the "homeschool" battle to come. ;)

Snoopy
03-30-2010, 11:57 PM
Hi LJean, welcome to the group! Oh boy, you're in for a battle, eh? Best of luck. I just posted this week how my homeschooled 2nd grader wanted to go to school last week because he thought it'd be so much fun. I'm glad he came to his senses this past weekend and decided to continue homeschooling! I have 5 of them in public school and had one of the worst parent-teacher meetings just this morning with my 8th grader's English teacher, and all I could think about was: 1) if my daughter -- who is about to enter 6th grade there -- ever gets this teacher, I will have her change classrooms if if I can't, I'll just have to homeschool her despite her dad's (and her) objections, and 2) I'm sooo glad Noah (our youngest) is a homeschooler so I don't have to deal with teachers and school issues for him!

Are you letting her finish 5th grade at her school or pulling her right away? You should check out the "resources" tab here and scroll down to find the section about secular homeschool groups by state to see if any of the SC are near you. Also, there should be a SC group here at SH, so look under the Groups tab as well.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted!

Topsy
03-31-2010, 08:17 AM
Yeah, the funny thing is that SC, which is right smack in the bullseye of the Bible Belt, has the longest list of secular homeschool support groups on the Resource page!!! Go figure!!! ;)

LJean
03-31-2010, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the welcome!
I saw your post about your youngest wanting to go to public school. I really felt for you! It crushed me to send mine. She did enjoy the 2nd grade though. Hated 4th and 5th.

I plan to let Sandra finish out the school year. There are only two months left. She needs help in math and writing, so we will be doing those two things over the summer.

My daughter is a bit,.. well... the teachers call her creative and enthusiastic, (her doctor calls it ADHD) ;) so she gets picked on quite often. I was quietly told by 3 teachers, two counselors and a variety of parents that she will be eaten alive in this middle school. I just can't send her there! So I am ready for this fight... actually I have no intention of fighting. I am just going to homeschool and he will have to get used to the idea. LOL

LJean
03-31-2010, 08:29 AM
That is a funny thing, Topsy! I hadn't expected that. I have only met Christian homeschoolers.

CroppinMom
03-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Welcome to the site LJean! I hope your battle isn't to monumental - at least your daughter has the experiences to be able to help you make an informed decision about what is best for her.

This site has been an amazing resource to me already and I hope you will find the same thing.

camaro
03-31-2010, 10:59 AM
Nathalie, your comment about the teacher reminded me of a recent incident at school here where a 17yo girl had an issue with a teacher. Her family had moved away last year to a different town where her father had gotten a job, but has had to move back to our town recently. She is a top student (and a favorite babysitter of most families here, along with her sister) but since moving back and attending a new school (Gr 9-12 students are bussed down the highway to a different town, something new to her since she had moved away before the change) her Chemistry marks plummetted. Now rather than help her out, her teacher called her a "retard" and the principal suggested she and another student drop out! Well, she quit and is attending a different school (driving herself every day). The results? The new Chemistry teacher gave her a pop quiz and she nearly aced it.

Now, who was it with the problem? Obviously it wasn't the student.

LJean
03-31-2010, 11:59 AM
I responded to the replies today, but don't see my post. I realize I am new and my posts need to be 'moderated' before being posted. I wonder if it got lost somewhere, or I wrote something inappropriate.
Forgive me if my other post shows up and it seems like double posting.

Thank you all for the welcomes!

Nathalie, I saw your post about your youngest wanting to go to public school. I really felt for you there! My daughter enjoyed 2nd grade, but not any others.
She will finish out the 5th grade in school, as there is only about 2 months left. We will be doing some math and writing instruction over the summer because she really needs help in these areas.

As for the battle ahead, I have decided there won't be one. ;) There isn't any changing my mind, so he will basically be arguing with himself, LOL