PDA

View Full Version : Funny, tongue-in-cheek article from the Onion

inmom
03-30-2010, 09:34 AM
As some of my friends I shared this article with stated, we don't know whether to laugh or cry....

http://www.theonion.com/articles/increasing-number-of-parents-opting-to-have-childr,17159/

camaro
03-30-2010, 10:15 AM
Sadly, that article is not too far from reality for some families. Some parents just don't seem to care what their kids are doing and some school officials don't seem to know their limits of authority.

Snoopy
03-30-2010, 10:33 AM
we don't know whether to laugh or cry....

inmom, I'm with you on that... I chuckled and then I realized how TRUE this really is, both from the perspective of incompetent parents who feel that the schools (i.e. the government) SHOULD teach their kids everything, including manners, sex education, study skills, etc.... and from the perspective of the schools/government who feel that ALL parents are indeed incompetent and shouldn't be trusted with their own children and that nothing, NOTHING is better than government-provided education. It's frightening the length to which some schools will go to sap you of your parental rights, actually.

Thanks for sharing the link, I'm going to send it to my husband and post it on my group too :)

Riceball_Mommy
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
More parents need to take responsibility for their children. You see it in them wanting the school to raise children and in wanting the government to censor everything. A little parenting goes a long way.

CroppinMom
03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
I completely understand not know whether to laugh or cry! That is one of the reasons I love The Onion site - their "stories" always hit so close to home.

Unfortunately responsibility is serious lacking in too many households these days - both on the part of parents and children.