PDA

View Full Version : first trip while HS'ing

Dutchbabiesx2
01-14-2011, 11:50 PM
We are heading on the train west! Now I have traveled abroad with my boys alone, so the actual travel part is a no brainer for me.
I packed math books, and some reading material, I added journals for each boy and have already gave them heads up that each day needs to be written about, no negative response yet.
My older son did say, "but I thought this was a vacation", I said, "no, it is a trip" seems to know that difference!

ok- lay it on me, is it really possible to HS from a hotel? We are hitting every cool museum and aquarium within an hours drive of the hotel and that will keep our days busy (no indoor pool though).

Thanks!

MarkInMD
01-15-2011, 12:05 AM
Homeschooling from a hotel, eh? Never done it, but if I were to try, I think I'd just concentrate on subject matter that was relating to whatever it is we're doing on the trip (so probably mostly social studies and writing).

Teri
01-15-2011, 12:26 AM
Personally, I would immerse ourselves in the trip and not worry about "curriculum". There will be MUCH to learn along the way.

farrarwilliams
01-15-2011, 12:29 AM
I feel pretty silly doing it, but we often do school when we're traveling - I've never done it from a hotel, but we've done it from grandparents' houses and the like. We only do an hour or two of "school" in a day and keeping our routine going actually sort of helps my boys. We keep nearly everything we need in little cubby boxes anyway, so when we head out of town, I just grab the cubby boxes and throw them in the car.

hockeymom
01-15-2011, 06:59 AM
We travel quite a bit but have never formally schooled on the road. I agree with Teri that there's so much learning going on anyway that regular curriculum might just be overkill. That's how it is for us, anyway, but of course every family is different and there is a lot to be said for routine. DS does read a lot now even on trips and he likes math and geography books for fun, so I do bring those along but often even they get overlooked for the more pressing matters of what's going on around us at the moment. On our last trip, watching the plane get deiced while we were on it not only helped the boredom factor but was a great closeup way to learn about robotics.

Your trip sounds fantastic! Have a great time!

Shoe
01-16-2011, 10:53 AM
We are heading on the train west! Now I have traveled abroad with my boys alone, so the actual travel part is a no brainer for me.
I packed math books, and some reading material, I added journals for each boy and have already gave them heads up that each day needs to be written about, no negative response yet.
My older son did say, "but I thought this was a vacation", I said, "no, it is a trip" seems to know that difference!

ok- lay it on me, is it really possible to HS from a hotel? We are hitting every cool museum and aquarium within an hours drive of the hotel and that will keep our days busy (no indoor pool though).

Thanks!

Yeah, I've done some homeschooling from a hotel, and in the car on longer trips. I've taken some care to pick the materials that are easiest to travel with and require the least resources to do (workbooks and reading the literature they've been assigned seem to be the easiest ones), but it's sometimes hard to compete with the distractions when you're not at home.

Amerikiwimom
01-17-2011, 02:51 AM
I totally agree with the others who have home schooled on the road or from a hotel. We've done it too! When we relocated from NZ, we were in temporary housing in a hotel for nearly two months. It was really rough being in a small place with 4 children but we managed. We brought along those things that we felt we could work on while in transition (math, phonics, music, etc.) and just went for it. We used our afternoons to explore our new city and scope out the local library. We walked everywhere. In retrospect, it was a pretty pleasant and productive time:)

Good Luck!