PDA

View Full Version : I won't do another factor tree!!!!

justcatie
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
AGHHHHHH. Math. Deep sigh, Math is such a struggle. Not because he doesn't get it, because he was told over and over in PS it was what he had the most trouble with. I won't even go into spelling and how they convinced him he couldn't ever learn to spell, even though they wouldn't give him a full dyslexia DX because his reading comprehension is through the roof.

I just signed up for the free 3 month trial for ALEKS...he really seems to like it, hasn't even tried to refuse to do it and he's doing well so far. I just can't seem to convince him he does know how to do it, even with the PROOF right in front of him.

How long did it take to undo the damage of what the ps did? Because I REALLY want him to at least tolerate doing Math someday.

dbmamaz
01-13-2011, 11:14 AM
Which one are you homeschooling? because spending some time doing livign math instead of curriculum is a good way to get past math phobias. I generally only recommend it for kids in grade school myself, but others try it later. I dont remember if I've sent you to their website or not - its http://www.livingmath.net/Home/tabid/250/language/en-US/Default.aspx The idea is basically to spend time learning to enjoy math using math story books as a way to deschool math without totally not doing ANY math, and then get back to curriculum later when they've forgotten that they used to hate math

Sam
01-13-2011, 12:22 PM
I don't have any advice cause I'm going through the same thing. Everyday is a struggle as we try to undo what the schools have "taught" her. Just know you're not alone!

wild_destiny
01-13-2011, 12:40 PM
Cara, that is one top of the line math link! Thanks for sharing it!

hockeymom
01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
That is a great link, Cara. I'll definitely be getting some great ideas there. I've decided to put the worksheets away on Fridays and play math games instead and this will help tons--thanks for posting it!

Dutchbabiesx2
01-13-2011, 12:54 PM
We are in therapy to undo PS !!!! My son is also great reader, thinks he has poor math skills, has bad memory so struggles trying to spell . . I so hear you! We just started HS in October, I have my 7 year old home who was not traumatized by PS but was not challenged (in 1 month he mastered 2 math levels, he can't read so that holds him back a little!).

So- for my 8 year old AND 7 year old, we are doing Singapore math. I liked it because they were in the middle of a book/level, so when I got it we started doing a few of the 'easy' pages and I'd say see how cool this is, we will just do a few pages and then skip a couple . . that got his confidence up. They have a lot of word problems so we discuss the language and being married to an engineer, we both like that!

But the memory problems!, he had no tools in his head to move numbers around. I spent every week trying to give him physical tools that he could mimic in his mind to move numbers around, he was so much better at subtraction than addition. We played games, their favorite was when I put out a while bunch of numbers on the floor, then I turned on music and wrote a number on the board- 12- then they had to match up numbers that made 12! I had them call out the numbers as they put them in a bucket. When he would get even the slightest frustrated I switched gears to a game, dice game, dominoes for multiplication and division (this he loves).

It is so hard to pull the 'not good enough' crap out of their head, no matter how much you love on them and tell them how good they are doing, those adults who crushed their spirits did damage that will take a long time to undo- it sucks!

For Spelling, we use Spelling City, he likes the games and we don't do a lot of other media, so he will take it where he can get it. Just yesterday I mixed spelling with a fun math game, then once he spelled it right I had him to the infinity walk (http://www.infinitywalk.org/index.htm)as he spelled it out loud then had him write it in the air, after that he took the on-line spelling test and fir the first time passed 100% (I knew he would).

I will check out ALEKS and see what that is about. His therapist suggested we have him write on a paper all the things he is good at (he needs to write it) and on a smaller section on the page the things he wants to be better at and when he gets frustrated, make it very matter of fact that he is good at things.

good luck, I feel your pain!

dbmamaz
01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
I forgot to ask - what does a factor tree have to do with any of this? Did your son say this, or have you been doing them with him, or what?

lynne
01-13-2011, 01:17 PM
My 9 yo son had a bit of a math phobia too. We're using Math-u-see and it moves at a great pace. He loves it because he gets almost everything right the first time. We are definitely going to stick with it.

We also use spellingcity. Love it!

I'm sorry you are struggling though. I hope you find something that works soon.

justcatie
01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
I forgot to ask - what does a factor tree have to do with any of this? Did your son say this, or have you been doing them with him, or what?

That is what hung us up last week. Factor trees. And that's Colin's quote, he really DOES NOT like factor trees.

Thanks for the link, I can't wait to read it (we're leaving on a photo walk for his blog right after I finish this)...I think I might be able to find something that works for Colin eventually!

justcatie
01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks for the ideas guys. Spelling city looks fab! I can see that he does know this stuff, he's just had it drilled in his head he isn't any good at it...:(

justcatie
01-13-2011, 03:46 PM
I am now more than convinced that his aversion to math is not because he can't do it. We've been doing ALEKS since Monday, and honestly, he's done the problems IN HIS HEAD. No calculator, no scrap paper, nothing. I am ASTONISHED that it's really THAT easy to get through his math lesson...he's still giving us the I can't do math, I hate it speech, but he IS doing it, and not trying to avoid it. Progress. :) I don't care if he ever LOVES it, because few people love math but I would like him to believe that he is capable of doing it and stop being down on himself.

lynne
01-13-2011, 03:58 PM
That is awesome Catie! Thanks for the update:).

hockeymom
01-13-2011, 04:17 PM
That's great news! It's bound to sink in for him eventually. Keep up the great (patient!) work, mama! :)

InstinctiveMom
01-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Have you seen ViHart's math doodle videos on Youtube? We spent quite a while watching and re-watching them (she talks really fast!) and playing with some of the concepts.
Binary Trees (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4MSN6IImpI)
Stars (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfJzrmS9UfY&feature=channel)
Infinity Elephants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5Z709J2eo&feature=channel)
Snakes & Graphs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK5Z709J2eo&feature=channel)
Her website is www.vihart.com and she has other cool stuff there as well.
~h