PDA

View Full Version : Back to Time4Learning...

callie
01-07-2011, 02:13 PM
We are back to using Time4Learning for math again. We have been using LOF since the beginning of the year, and I just don't think it is working for Hunter. He loves to read the book, but then he can't seem to do any follow-up problems I present to him. I would like to get halfway through the Honors Algebra before we break for summer. So far he doesn't have any complaints because it does not have the cartoon characters. I think I will start having him work on the Language Arts next week. We have writing and vocab, but haven't found anything to review nouns, adjectives, etc. I am also going to use their Social Studies to bridge the gap between the Civil War and War World I. Not that he is happy about that because he just wants to learn about the wars. I'll be using the Intellego Unit Study for WWI. Thanks again Cara for posting the link to the Currclick sale.

I love being able to switch curriculum in the middle of the year if it is not working. And I am not stressing over it at all, like I have in the past.

schwartzkari
01-07-2011, 02:45 PM
I signed my daughter up for time4learning about 2 weeks ago and she loves it. Right now we are "unschooling" because we are moving and pretty much everything is in boxes. I really like the math section on T4L. Previously we used Kumon workbooks and they taught the basics but my daughter thought they were really boring. She loves the little movies and games online. We are going to try Math-U-See in March and I'm pretty sure we'll keep using T4L for supplements.

dbmamaz
01-07-2011, 02:50 PM
I'm sort of unschooling with T4L - i tell my son he has to do it, but dont tell him what to do. I do need to get more focus eventually.

Math curriculum has been the biggest struggle with us! My older has used ALEKs, LOF, a few books from the library, and now Singapore. THe younger has used singapore, T4L, and living math books. I think singapore works best for ME to some extent.

Topsy
01-07-2011, 03:58 PM
We have really loved the Time4Learning math. My son is in his final year with it this year - - using the Honors Algebra course (which is kicking MY butt trying to keep up with him!! they aren't kidding when they call it "honors" algebra! how did I survive quadratic equations in high school??) I can also highly recommend the 7th grade social studies, which is a VERY comprehensive coverage of American History. Hope it keeps working for you!

MarkInMD
01-07-2011, 04:25 PM
I love being able to switch curriculum in the middle of the year if it is not working.

For sure. I also like being able to find the curriculum that suits their learning style rather than be a slave to the way a PS teaches the entire class/group. A lot.

elkhollow
01-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Thumbs up from me, too, about having the flexibility to switch things around. We are doing Sonlight (secularized) for the second half of second grade and substituting books we like for ones we don't. Yea, homeschooling! Life is too short to suffer through the wrong curriculum or books.

Home-schoolMomma
01-09-2011, 10:01 PM
I am so glad we found what we like because it is sooooo agervating to waiste time & money on wrong curriculum.We use Time4Learning too! I really like how relaxed we can be with it :)
Only thing we suppliment with is library books and some freebie (http://www.learninggamesforkids.com) sites ;-)

Batgirl
01-11-2011, 07:50 PM
Here's to Time4Learning. I've finally found something I don't have to fight my son to get him to do.

Batgirl
01-14-2011, 10:46 PM
I just wanted to comment: I sat down to do some FIAR, science & history read-alouds to the kids, when Batman said, "Mom, I don't want to homeschool. I want to go upstairs and do some Time4Learning." He likes something, at any rate. If T4L ever loses it's luster, at least I know that anything else we do will need to be as fun and interactive as possible. He is not a book learner. (In sharp consrast to Robin, who would be read to all day long if he could.)