PDA

View Full Version : Starting new grade in January?

hockeymom
12-28-2010, 04:12 PM
For those of you that start your new year or grade in January, I'm curious about how you decided to go that route, especially if your kids were in ps before starting homeschooling. I know there are a few of you out there--do tell! :)

InstinctiveMom
12-28-2010, 05:20 PM
My boys are continuing the same grade level right now; otherwise, they'd be behind. I'm hoping to make up the other half of the school year over the next couple of years so that we will start a new grade in January, but we are in no rush to do so. We're starting 'Year 2' of homeschooling in January, and the boys are in 2nd and 3rd grade. They'll begin 3rd and 4th grade in the summer (beginning of July, maybe).

The 'grade level' doesn't matter to me so much as mastering the material covered. For example, my 3rd grader is reading on a 5th grade level, so his reading comp and narration are higher than his handwriting, which is still at 2nd grade level. My 2nd grader is at 2nd in math, but at 3rd or 4th in science... so 'grade level' is more a guideline for us than a true barometer of what or how they're doing. I am using the 'What your X grader need to know' books as a reference this year, but that's just to make sure we're covering AT LEAST that. We're covering much more, so I am content.
~h

hockeymom
12-28-2010, 05:28 PM
Aha, that makes sense. I've always wondered...Thanks! :)

(BTW: I noticed that LBB must have just had a birthday! Happy birthday to him!)

InstinctiveMom
12-31-2010, 02:30 AM
He did :), and thanks!! He's very grown-up now, at 9. I have a month's worth of blogging to catch up on, lol. Once we get back into school again, we'll be home more and I can catch up.

I'm sure there are other ways of delineating grade levels... if I find a way that works for us, I'll change what we're doing now. I try to be open-minded about stuff like that.
~h

hockeymom
12-31-2010, 05:36 AM
Yeah, we've found that grade levels sort of lose any meaning when homeschooling. My DS never quite knows how to answer when people ask him what grade he's in; he just skips over it and tells them he's homeschooled. His spelling is about the only thing "on level" but I hesitate to just start saying he's now in grade 3 because that's the work he's doing, even though in my mind that's how I think of it. I guess it doesn't matter unless he goes back to ps.

Sam
12-31-2010, 10:57 AM
''grade level is more a guideline for us than a true barometer of what or how they're doing''

Exactly. DD is "in" Grade 3, but her levels in actual work is all over the place. She's in Grade 1 for French, Grade 2 for reading comprehension (yet Grade 4/5 for actual reading level), end of Grade 2/beginning of Grade 3 for Math, Grade 4 for History and so on. So when asked, she'll say she's in Grade 3 because that's what her age says, but she knows she works at all different levels.

We homeschool year round, but won't change grades at a certain time. We will go by mastery. We've just started HSing (7 wks in), but doing it like this has already cause a lot less frustrations than she had in PS. She's actually working at HER level (whether higher or lower) rather than the whole grade's level

Miguels mommy
12-31-2010, 11:07 PM
We go by his birthday which happens to be in June. He repeated 3rd this year because we moved states and that is what grade 8 year olds are in around here. We decided to hold him "back" because of how old he looks and strangers seem to expect him to act older. Educationally he's all over.

Teri
01-01-2011, 10:23 AM
I don't pay too much attention to the grade. If I am looking for material, I look for the level I think that we need.
It just so happens that I am looking for Libby right now because MBTP is not working well for her. I am considering Verticy's 4th grade (she would be 3rd grade in ps).

ejwaibel
01-02-2011, 09:06 AM
During the younger years, we ignored grade level too, however we did end our school year in December and start a new one every January strictly for record-keeping purposes. It worked better to start a new year in January when I was working as an accountant.
Now that ds is almost in high school, we still school year around, however his school year starts in the traditional month of August in order to make his transcript easier to build.

mamatoherroo
01-02-2011, 09:49 PM
We start our new grade in Jan/Feb, because we were previously in public school. I pulled my daughter out of PS half way through 1st grade (at the Christmas break). Because she was terribly bored in PS, and we had already worked through most of 1st grade work, when we started our homeschool in January, I decided to start her in 2nd grade instead of continuing in 1st grade. As it turned out, January/February is a great time to start a new school year. We try to stay about a half a year ahead of public school, sometimes it is a little more and sometimes it is a little less. We school year 'round, no 3 month summer break. We realy like how it works for us.
Linda
Iíll take education for 100..
Someone who was completely against home education before they were completely for home education might be called this.
What is an accidental homeschooler (http://www.time4learning.com/homeschool/accidental-homeschooling.shtml)?
Correct!