PDA

View Full Version : Hello from the PacNW!

Firefly_Mom
03-25-2010, 02:41 PM
First off, I'd like to thank Topsy for inviting me to join...again. She'd originally invited me a long time ago (in a galaxy far, far away), but I didn't join then. Now I'm really glad I did, and I think this is a fantastic resource - especially for those families who don't have any/many secular hsing families around them. I would have LOVED to have a place like this during our first 5 years of hsing, when we lived in a very conservative area of California (it's not all liberal! LOL). For the last 3 years we've been extremely fortunate to live in an area of Oregon with a lot of secular hsers, so we no longer have people look at us like we have two heads or something, just because we're secular :D

Just out of curiousity, are there any other families on here that are homeschooling middle school/high school aged kids? Our son is heading into high school next year (gasp!) and I'm trying really very hard to let go of my control issues and let him unschool his way through it, as that is definitely the way that he learns best.

Topsy
03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
Couldn't be more thrilled that you are here, gal. Since we updated the site, the groups are growing ever so slowly, so be sure to pop over to the Groups page and join the "homeschooling high school" group. You will find a few others in your same dinghy, including me, of course, who are hesitantly admitting that our babies have been invaded by alien teenage dna and are facing the dilemmas of homeschooling this weird age group! ;) Anyway, I hope you drop in often and grace us with your Browncoat presence!!

Topsy

dbmamaz
03-25-2010, 11:51 PM
I have a boy who will be 14 in 8 days . . . he finished 7th grade in public school last year and we homeschooled this year . . . we dont unschool (he really needs to be scheduled), but i'm still struggling to figure out whats the best use of our time. I guess I'll join that group . . . soon . . .

Snoopy
03-26-2010, 12:28 AM
Wait, aren't you the lady who does all the field trips and blogs about them? You sure you didn't join the old incarnation of this group? You look familiar...

Welcome, at any rate :) I don't have a homeschooled teen but one of my local group members does. She's 15 and calls her an autodidacts and does all her own stuff. It seems to be working well for her but I always have found the girls (at least in my family) more self-motivated than the boys. I have 4 teens at home who go to p.s. and am having a lot of issues with my oldest son (15) right now as a matter of fact, over his apathy (my word of the week) and lack of self-motivation. I have to keep on telling myself that this too shall pass... if we both survive it. I've been dreading the teen years since he was born (he's my oldest bio kid) and they don't disappoint, unfortunately. But maybe by expecting the worst, I am engendering it? All I know is that I can't wait for all of them to have gone through it and be mature and productive members of society! "weird age group" for sure... lol.

Firefly_Mom
03-27-2010, 01:22 AM
Hello to all, and nice to "meet" you! (Well, I already know Topsy ;) Nathalie, I do always blog about field trips. In fact, Topsy challenged me to what became a rather heated "field trip war" last year. I'm not sure who was the winner of that one, but she had snake wrangling, so I'm willing to concede defeat!

Snoopy
03-27-2010, 01:38 AM
OMZ, it WAS you! Do you know how improbable it is that I recognized you? I'm the WORST at remembering faces and names and I've never even met you. But I remember being a little (ok - a lot!) jealous of all the cool locations to have for field trips in your area. It's gorgeous over there. Sigh. Florida, not so much and really not like the photos on the postcards. Although today we went to Blue Spring State Park and it was 80 degrees, the spring water was clear like nothing you've ever seen and we saw manatees, a snake, an alligator, lots of big fish and a cat. lol. And we went to the Museum of Minerals too.

I think I could give you a run for your money when it comes to field trips, lol. I love being out and about with Noah. But you take much better photos than I do. I also remember being impressed by your son although now I can't remember why specifically, but I do have your blog bookmarked somewhere and I have to move it to my Google Reader since I've gotten with the times somewhat since then and discovered RSS feeds :)

Alright I'm babbling now so i think it's time for bed. Talk to you soon.

Firefly_Mom
03-30-2010, 03:57 PM
It's not that I take better photos - it's that I take A LOT of photos, and end up with a handful of good ones ;) And feel free to throw your hat into our "field trip war" ring - the more the merrier!

Snoopy
03-30-2010, 06:12 PM
I actually started Noah on his own blog a couple of weeks ago, as a way for him to practice his writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar all at once instead of doing worksheets... so far, it's working! He doesn't like the writing part so much but we are discussing how to make a story interesting and reviewing grammatical concepts he learned with First Language Lessons so far, and everytime he's enjoying the writing of it a little more. His dad and grandma leave him comments and he gets a kick out of that ;) He blogs about the field trips that we take as well as our "adventuring" moments (nature observing, etc.).

CroppinMom
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Firefly_Mom,

Welcome to the site! It is so great to see new faces that are actively participating. Do you have a link to your blog? I'd love to have a look at your field trip war.

Topsy
03-30-2010, 08:49 PM
CroppinMom - - ((answering for FM)) her blog address is in her forum signature. Here are links to our previous field trip war battle to the death...

Pack of Hungry Snails (http://packofhungrysnails.blogspot.com/search/label/field%20trip)
vs
Topsy-Techie (http://en.wordpress.com/tag/field-trips-homeschool/)

btw...I'll go ahead and give you the spoiler and tell you that Firefly Mom won. She ALWAYS wins when it comes to field trips.

Firefly_Mom
03-30-2010, 10:25 PM
Snoopy - that's so cool that your son has his own blog (and that his dad and grandma leave comments!) My son has no interest in the whole blogging thing - though his friends think they're famous when they see pix of themselves on my blog :D

Croppin Mom - what Topsy said :D

Topsy - surely you jest! I've already stated that you one due to the snake wrangling. Although I would do it in a heartbeat, Cody would scream like a girl! And just think of the posts you can write if R-T and Bear hook up *snort*

Snoopy
03-31-2010, 12:29 AM
Snake wrangling? OK, I'm out. I could do cat wrangling, I'm good at that. Kind of like that cat herders commercial from a few years back. LOL.

CroppinMom
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
Oh! You mean your blog link is right there in your signature? Sort of like right where I have mine? Why would I think to look there? Ugh - Sorry gang! I plead brain fuzz from week under the influence of heavy meds due to a bout of the flu.

Off to read up on snake wrangling - that sounds like fun to me but that might just be the medication talking!

Firefly_Mom
03-31-2010, 03:30 PM
Snoopy - Oh, they don't all involve snakes! I think it was Topsy's version of a "Hail Mary" ;)

CroppinMom - Not to worry! We call them "blonde moments" in our house! LOL