PDA

View Full Version : Feedback needed: Popular Science mag vs. How it Works Mag?

Snoopy
03-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Hi all,

I'm wondering if any of you subscribe to either Popular Science Magazine or How it Works Magazine and what you think of their value for "unschooling" reading for an 8 year-old boy. Also How it Works is a British publication and they want $80 for a US subscription. If anyone knows of any way to get it cheaper, I would be interested in learning about it! Right now I'm using the RSS feed for myself but it'd be nice to leave the magazine laying around the house in hopes that Noah will pick it up and learn something without me teaching it to him :)

I can get Popular Science for $22 via QSP.com

Thanks!

camaro
03-25-2010, 09:45 AM
I can't answer your question really, but since PopSci is mentioned I thought I'd point out that they just put up their entire collection on their web site as a searchable archive. Even the old ads are there. It makes for some interesting browsing.

Free Popular Science Archive (http://www.popsci.com/announcements/article/2010-03/new-browse-137-years-popsci-archive-free)

Snoopy
03-25-2010, 12:57 PM
Hey, that's so cool! Thanks, David! I went to my library to check if they had that magazine and they have Popular Mechanics but not Popular Science. Poop.

crstarlette
03-25-2010, 04:21 PM
I don't know anything about either of those magazines, but I can say my 8 yr. old son loves Dig Magazine from www.cricketmag.com So, in case the other two don't work out, or you want more, or whatever.

Snoopy
03-25-2010, 09:40 PM
I don't know anything about either of those magazines, but I can say my 8 yr. old son loves Dig Magazine from www.cricketmag.com So, in case the other two don't work out, or you want more, or whatever.

I didn't know about this mag and it sounds like something that he would really like because his 2 favorite subjects (we just had a writing activity about this today!) are history and science, which this magazine seems to be blending very well. Thanks for the referral! I'll have him look through the online sample issue and gauge his interest.

AND, I signed up for Cricket Mag's email list and they sent me a $5 coupon. I also entered the "win a 1 year subscription" sweepstakes just in case... lol

For those of you interested in Popular Science mag, it's actually cheaper to order it through their website than through QSP. Right now they have a 1 year subscription for $14 (QSP's is $15). I usually use QSP because it's cheaper and my daughter's school gets a cut.

MikeHigginbottom
03-26-2010, 05:10 AM
Also How it Works is a British publication and they want $80 for a US subscription. If anyone knows of any way to get it cheaper, I would be interested in learning about it.

I had a quick look to see if I could get it for you over here and ship it across to you but it would work out more expensive than their $80 I'm afraid.

Snoopy
03-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Awwwww that's so sweet of you, Mike! No worries, i'll just stick with the mags over here. Maybe another library in my county has a subscription because I could have sworn that I read a couple of issues before. I'll check out the county library computerized system (I use it all the time for books but never think to check it for magazines!). Have a great day! We're off to the museum of
minerals.

LJean
03-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Magazines.. that hadn't crossed my mind. An interesting resource! Thanks for posting the question!

BPier12
05-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Coming late to this, but our son has had a subscription to Pop Sci for a couple of years now and he devours it every month. He has taught me quite a few things because he really likes to talk about the articles. When he was younger, he had a subscription to Ask magazine from Cricket publishing that he really loved and now we have moved on to Muse. They are both great magazines. Check around the end of year holidays for special deals on Pop Sci. I've renewed his subscription for as low as $11.00 for the entire year.

Teri
05-01-2010, 08:22 PM
My kids love Popular Science. They also get Kids Discover, Ranger Rick and ZooBooks (each kids gets a different subscription). I have my parents give them to them every year as gifts.
Caroline (my daughter that loves her Chinese school and all things about culture) loves Top Secret Adventures (http://shop.highlights.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=16151&catalogId=17603&categoryId=241891&productId=690725). They LOVE to get mail.

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 08:29 PM
Caroline (my daughter that loves her Chinese school and all things about culture) loves Top Secret Adventures (http://shop.highlights.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=16151&catalogId=17603&categoryId=241891&productId=690725).

Thanks for posting this, Teri, I just checked out the link and it sounds very interesting! I might just have to order one to see for myself. Noah just got the latest edition of the LEGO Club Magazine in the mail today and he was all giddy. He loves getting mail as well. I was thinking about joining a postcard exchange that I saw posted somewhere. I wonder if Topsy would let us organize our own postcard exchange here? I could volunteer to run it if anyone was interested.

Teri
05-01-2010, 08:32 PM
We would do it! We did one once before and the kids really enjoyed it. We hung up a big map in our school room and put the postcards up with string running to where they were mailed from. The kids still talk about them.

Snoopy
05-01-2010, 08:35 PM
We would do it! We did one once before and the kids really enjoyed it. We hung up a big map in our school room and put the postcards up with string running to where they were mailed from. The kids still talk about them.

What a great idea... I even have a big map of the US somewhere that I could use for the US postcards! I need to get a big map of the world too.

Melyssa
05-02-2010, 04:08 AM
My daughter loves Top Secret Adventures (also Which Way USA), and postcards! We've done lots of postcard trading so we're always up for more.