PDA

View Full Version : Survey on Social Justice: What are your kids currently passionate about?

Topsy
02-27-2017, 01:30 PM
Next month at SHS we'll be kicking off some content about integration of social justice education into our homeschooling. As a lead in, I'd love to know what issues your kids currently feel passionate about.

Wealth distribution?
Refugees?
LGBTQ rights?
Racism?
Homelessness?
Gender equality?
Access to health care?
Reproductive rights?
Other?

Respond to this survey by sharing the age of your kid(s) and the issues that have recently ignited a spirit of activism for them.

inmom
02-27-2017, 02:14 PM
Oh my, where do I start??

For my 20 year old daughter, in order of importance is

LGBTQ rights
Gender equality
Access to health care
Reproductive rights
Other - CIVIL RIGHTS
Refugees
Homelessness

She came out as lesbian at age 16, so that issue has been at the top of the list for quite some time. However, she feels passionately about all the ones listed above. She's been fairly outspoken about them, but I must admit that the new Trump administration has her fired up even more. She was one of the half million women who went to DC for the Women's March in January.

My son (19) is not as socially active, but he does feel relatively passionate about

Other - CIVIL RIGHTS
Refugees
Homelessnes

At one point this past fall, white supremacist posters were put up all over his campus. He was shocked, appalled, and discouraged. He knows that his university is overall conservative (tough for a liberal kid), but he didn't think THAT would go on. He's also in a major (computer science) that has many international students enrolled. Many of them are nervous about their status going forward. They question whether, if they go home for summer break, will they be allowed back into the country to continue their education. So again, the new presidential administration has got him fired up even more than usual.

b_light
02-27-2017, 05:03 PM
I asked my son (10) about these issues. He is highly passionate about ALL of the ones you mentioned except reproductive rights.

In addition to what is mentioned, he is also passionate about:
•animal rights
•environmental protection (these 2 have been the most consistent *extreme* passions of his)
•immigration/travel ban & safety for minorities

The recent events that got him interested in immigration and safety for minorities were words he read on a mute news program at my parents' house saying that Donald Trump wanted to rid the country of Muslims and his hateful speech about Mexicans during his campaign.

farrarwilliams
02-27-2017, 06:10 PM
Mushroom feels VERY strongly about DC voting rights. He's in favor of statehood.

BalletBoy feels strongly about social justice issues across the board. He volunteers at a soup kitchen now. He feels strongly about Black Lives Matter and anti-discrimination causes.

Mariam
02-27-2017, 07:31 PM
For DS9, he is most passionate about environmental issues. He is concerned also concerned with poverty and access to health care, but our projects always focus on science and the environment.