PDA

View Full Version : How Crafty is your Homeschool?

alexsmom
02-17-2017, 07:08 PM
I think Ive finally gotten over my fretting about ruining my boys social lives by not attending weekly park days, so my current sense of homeschooling inferiority is about crafting. Thanks DK and Usborne for having craft activities for every single topic of learning! Native Americans - build a totem pole! Ancient Egypt - mummify a small mammal! Moon study - build a working model space shuttle!
Im going to admit that I never did any of those. I say its because my son was really bad at them, but maybe he was so bad at them because he didnt have them continually presented as part of our schoolday?
And then there are the blogs with their picture perfect kids who always have new crafts and art projects. Do they have any wall space left after their current projects are displayed?
What are real-life homeschoolers crafty situations like? I tried imagining a range of options to choose from.

farrarwilliams
02-17-2017, 08:08 PM
Our amount of crafty has changed over the years. And the context has changed a lot. When the kids were little, lots of crafting. Bloggers and ideas from us. But now they're in middle school. Much less though still a little.

On the other hand though, my kids do a lot of interesting projects for themselves. Ds is a member of a makerspace and he's always doing crazy stuff that's a little crafty. Other ds has sudden urges to sew and make. And they do DI and end up making a million things with that.

So... we're still kind of crafty. But it's changed over the years.

I feel compelled to add that I loathe cut and paste crafts like those Evan-Moor History pockets. Gag. Cut here, paste here is *not* crafty.

NZ_Mama
02-17-2017, 10:26 PM
I really dislike crafting with kids as an adult. I hate things where I have to sit around for a long time and I feel like I am making an inefficient use of my time, and I really really don't like mess (minimalist, perfectionist with obsessive organizing and cleaning tendencies). So we very rarely do crafting at home, I put never because one or two projects per unit study was even too much for us. They do art or other projects if it is something they can set up, do, and clean up on their own. Otherwise I outsource their crafting and they do it elsewhere at extracurricular activities!

Mariam
02-17-2017, 11:22 PM
We do the Home Depot craft most months. Besides that we will do a project from a topic we are working on and we do crafts to make gifts for grandma during the various holidays. We make our own birthday cards, valentine's cards and the like.

Oksana
02-18-2017, 01:30 AM
It's just not us. Except, I picked up knitting in the last two years, but I do it for myself, not with the kids.

DD8's CP mostly affects both of her hands, so she can't do anything crafty. When she was younger, she would happily watch me cut-and-glue a kitty/owl/tree for her. Nowadays, making things for her/instead of her just does not make sense, and it adds to her frustration and unhappiness, so I stopped. Plus, I am not an artsy type anyway.

DD7&DD5 would do things by themselves when and if they want to. I buy lots of crafty projects for them, or I sign them up for an outsourced class, but I stopped including crafts into our homeschooling.

Luv2HS
02-18-2017, 05:07 AM
I feel compelled to add that I loathe cut and paste crafts like those Evan-Moor History pockets. Gag. Cut here, paste here is *not* crafty.

OMG, Farrar, I loved those! So did the kids. You would've needed a bucket at our house because you would've been moved to puke:_laugh::_laugh:! But, you know there have been things some hs love that have made me gag. We all have our likes and dislikes:).

inmom
02-18-2017, 08:14 AM
Crafting was never for us either. I join the "Not-Crafty" camp!

TFZ
02-18-2017, 08:39 AM
I tried, but do was either not into it or just flat out started refusing. He's checked out some kids craft books from the library and picked his own projects. I picked the unit study one because he does like his "paperwork" days. Where he makes his own projects up. So most of our crafts happen at the library, kids museum art room, and Michaels.

RTB
02-18-2017, 09:16 AM
We tried, but crafting is not high on our list around here. DD is the only one who will occasionally take a class (right now a pottery class), but it is not high on her list.

alexsmom
02-18-2017, 09:35 AM
Im feeling so much better that Im not way under the curve of craftiness. :)

Thanks Miriam for reminding me about those Home Depot crafts!

And for us not doing crafts, my older loved doing cut and paste History Pockets and pre-printed lap books.

And if even TFZ, highly energetic and former schoolteacher that she is, doesnt continuously do them, maybe its okay that I dont, either. :)

(One of my goals for my baby, coming up on his official K year, is to do more crafts, as most crafts involve the same skills he works on in OT. We will see how that goes, though.)

Mariam
02-18-2017, 12:34 PM
Im feeling so much better that Im not way under the curve of craftiness. :)

Thanks Miriam for reminding me about those Home Depot crafts!

And the Home Depot (and Lowe's if you have one nearby) are free!

alexsmom
02-18-2017, 12:52 PM
Lowes has free ones too!? There are probably a dozen Lowes and Home Depots within 10 miles.
Our local Overpriced Teachers Supply store has free crafts every Saturday... I bet if I took DS4 there itd relieve my guilt about not doing holiday crafts. :p
Plus, FREE and I dont have to clean up the mess. :) Just have to actually go do it.

Mariam
02-18-2017, 01:09 PM
Yes! Check out Lowes website though. They require that you sign up. Home Depot asks that you sign up, but at least where we live, they don't turn kids away. I have never done the Lowes one before because we are about 100 miles away from the closest one. I keep wanting to schedule our trips to the city to correspond with their events, but it never happens.

That is awesome about the teacher supply too. I would take advantage of all of the free crafts. Our local arts and history museum does a monthly free craft for kids and the library has them regularly too. One of the Habitat for Humanity thrift stores has a monthly craft from recycled parts. They take things that they have and make them into a new craft. That is free too, but more limited as to the number of kids. The local science museum has monthly programs with science experiments and frequently a craft type thing to go with it. The events are free, but you need to pay for admission to the museum or be a member.

I think if you look around, you could probably fill your weekend with free/low-cost craft stuff and never have a glue stick in the house.

TFZ
02-18-2017, 01:37 PM
I need to check those Lowes/HD out with DS. If DH was ever home on a weekend. Working all weekend every weekend. 8:30a-9p today. Yesterday DS told me he wants to build a boat. I was like, oh yeah well I'm not sure we have the right tools for that. He was all, "Hammer, nails, saw, drill. What else?" Uhhhh IDK!I don't want to build a boat!

They have a lot of free or low cost classes at our craft stores in the summertime, too. We did Michaels last year. There was another one. Not Hobby Lobby. I can't remember the store. They advertised in the local family mag. I'm all about outsourcing crafts. Our OT issues have pretty much disappeared since we got the kids a big dome climber for Christmas. All the sudden he's like like a climbing, hanging, swinging little monkey. Spending two weeks in gymnastics camp really toughened him up, too. It's been pretty incredible. DH and I are like, welp I guess we don't have to worry about that anymore.

muddylilly
02-18-2017, 07:41 PM
Yep, my boys did a few crafty glue-type of projects at home when they were small. Then it was outsourced to Parks and Rec-type classes.

BUT....I suppose if Home Depot classes count, then helping to build woodsheds, animal housing and fencing count as well!! Who knew how crafty my boys were? ;)

IEF
02-18-2017, 08:00 PM
I was crafty the first time around.

This time around I'm too old and tired so I just toss the Caboose Baby a pack of construction paper and a case of scotch tape, read a novel or two aloud, and amazing things happen.

farrarwilliams
02-19-2017, 04:58 PM
I definitely don't feel like everyone needs to be crafty... but I do occasionally see people posting about how their kids are so creative and they can't stand it - they hate the mess, they hate being crafty, they hate planning crafty things, they refuse to do any curriculum with anything crafty in it. They say, oh, I know my kid would love it, but no way. And, honestly, that makes me sad. I don't think it's a hardship (and it doesn't have to be expensive - especially if you have a creative reuse facility nearby) to have a shelf of materials and a messy space for it.

alexsmom
02-19-2017, 09:41 PM
Apparently Lowes just ended their Saturday craft program.
Lowes Build & Grow (http://www.lowesbuildandgrow.com)

Home Depot is still at it, though.
Free Weekly Workshops & Home Improvement Workshopat The Home Depot (http://workshops.homedepot.com/workshops/kids-workshops)
Looks like they want registration.

Ive heard it said that a reason girls often dont have as much trouble learning to (physically) write is that theyve developed their fine motor skills already through preschool aged play and more of an interest in handcrafts.
My oldest wasnt eager to write, and was lousy at crafts... but I wonder if doing more crafts wouldve strengthened his fine motor skills and made writing (and crafting) better? The exercizes my baby does for OT are directly translatable to writing and fine motor endurance. Cutting out hearts for Valentines Day cards is a lot more "useful" than having him practice cutting wavy lines through paper. KWIM?

Im going to try doing more crafts (outsourced whenever possible!), but Im tremendously relieved that Im not the only one who doesnt do them very often. :) :)

aselvarial
02-20-2017, 06:49 PM
I LOVE to craft! Tech, on the other hand, isn't interested unless it involves a hammer and nails. Or, perhaps, the color blue. His snowman got blue eyes, and a blue hat, but I didn't have blue glitter glue so he was done. His "initial art" was blue. Only blue. If it can't be blue, and nails and a hammer aren't involved, he isn't interested. We tried to do an marble maze, but he had to have it EXACTLY like the pic. When I told him I wanted him to free build it, he lost his mind and refused to do it. Tech is TOTALLY only interested in things that have a precise set of directions to end up EXACTLY like the pic. That isn't crafting for me. So, needless to say, we rarely do crafts for school. It's not worth the headache to get him to almost do it.

NZ_Mama
02-22-2017, 03:31 AM
I definitely don't feel like everyone needs to be crafty... but I do occasionally see people posting about how their kids are so creative and they can't stand it - they hate the mess, they hate being crafty, they hate planning crafty things, they refuse to do any curriculum with anything crafty in it. They say, oh, I know my kid would love it, but no way. And, honestly, that makes me sad. I don't think it's a hardship (and it doesn't have to be expensive - especially if you have a creative reuse facility nearby) to have a shelf of materials and a messy space for it.

I guess it depends on the person as to whether it is a hardship? I know for myself, mess is just one thing that really is not good for my mental health. It really affects my happiness and my ability to do anything else. For example, I can't go to sleep if my bedroom is messy, I can't do work if any part of my house I can see from my office is messy, and having mess around just makes me a really irritated and grumpy person to be around. But I know that is not the most 'fun' type of parent to have for a child, so they have a playroom with all their toys in that they can keep as messy as they like. As long as I can shut the door on it, they can leave stuff out as long as they like, all over the floor. They do have a well-stocked shelf of art/craft materials, they just are not allowed to get them out whenever they like because the 3 year old has a long standing coloring obsession. She will color anything (herself, walls, appliances, etc.) with any material she can get her hands on, at every opportunity within seconds of you not supervising her. Permanent markers etc have to be locked away, and art/crafts tend to only happen on days when I can supervise somewhat if they are set up inside, or on days that its nice enough to send them outside. If she colors all over the deck and paving at least it eventually comes off. But otherwise I outsource and they do many crafts at the local museums and art galleries, and the 8 year old attends an art class. For crafts that the 8 year old comes up with that she really wants to try, we keep a list and then have a craft day when I can be fully present (i.e. no work) and we attack a lot at once. That way it is easier for me to deal with the mess as its all at once and all tidied up on that day. So I am always going to be a parent that says I hate mess and hate doing crafty things with children, but I would rather prioritize my mental health to be a happy parent over what they might get from more crafting.

aselvarial
02-24-2017, 04:50 AM
NZ_Mama, three things saved my sanity. Washable crayons/washable markers, MR Clean Magic Eraser, and a GIANT drop cloth whenever anything having to do with glitter was made. I know it isn't eco-friendly, but OMG, glitter is insane! Or, insist that anything with glitter be done OUTSIDE.

Mariam
02-24-2017, 10:21 AM
NZ_Mama, three things saved my sanity. Washable crayons/washable markers, MR Clean Magic Eraser, and a GIANT drop cloth whenever anything having to do with glitter was made. I know it isn't eco-friendly, but OMG, glitter is insane! Or, insist that anything with glitter be done OUTSIDE.

I've got two words for you: glitter glue

Because glitter is the herpes of the craft world.

inmom
02-24-2017, 11:22 AM
Because glitter is the herpes of the craft world.

Voted Best Quote of the Month! :D: