PDA

View Full Version : Current Events and prejudice

HobbitinaHobbitHole
02-03-2017, 01:21 PM
Ok, I think I need to make a separate unit on prejudice and nationalism. We are doing chronological world history at the moment, and so far I am winging it, as it comes up, but I think I need an entire unit, and as long as I am doing this, I think I am going to make a US one as well.

The problem is, I have a smart but not-at-all socially aware 6th grader for whom social studies is not a special interest and I don't know how to construct this in a developmentally appropriate way.

Does anyone know if there is anything out there already that is geared to a visually oriented, not especially emotionally mature middle schooler that does not over simplify to the point of uselessness?

crazyme
02-03-2017, 03:14 PM
Have you looked at what PBSlearningmedia has? I get monthly emails from them and it seems like they had something like this recently. I unfortunately don't have the time right now to look for it right now, but peruse their website--I believe they have lesson plans for many of their videos.

Mariam
02-03-2017, 08:33 PM
I agree, PBS LearningMedia has some great resources. Also BrainPop handles some of the more difficult issues with a short, appropriate video and some lessons.

HobbitinaHobbitHole
02-06-2017, 10:34 AM
Thanks!