PDA

View Full Version : Uniforms for your homeschool?

schwartzkari
12-11-2010, 08:03 PM
My daughter just wrapped up a semester of art classes at a local studio and I ended up chatting with another homeschooling mother who required her daughter to wear a uniform Monday-Friday. She said she saved alot of money not buying other clothes for her daughter and also that it kept strangers from asking the usual questions like "hey, why aren't you in school?"

Myself, the thought of uniforms for our homeschool has never crossed my mind. I was just wondering what other homeschoolers opinions were on uniforms? Does anyone here have their children wear them?

Shoe
12-11-2010, 08:21 PM
The only reason I considered an (optional) uniform for our homeschool is that my daughter is obsessed with Japanese anime and was really interested in being able to wear a Japanese school uniform. It kind of defeats the purpose of "individuality" which I see as key in home education.

Unless you consider pajamas on a regular basis as a uniform? Then both my kids and I are definitely into wearing uniforms! :D

Berta
12-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Same here, our normal school dress is pajamas. There are many days my DH gets home for dinner and we are all still in our jammies.

Baberry
12-11-2010, 08:53 PM
We normally do uniforms at the beginning of the year to get them into the homeschooling vibe. It just makes it easier and the kids dig it. If they didn't like it, I guess I wouldn't do it. For them, when they put the 'uniform' on they know its time to get down to business. My kiddos did this for about a month and now the 'need' to wear the uniform is gone. My son still wears his shorts because it easy for him. Honestly, it cuts about 10 minutes off their dressing time.

In the end, do what works for you and your family.

Kell
12-11-2010, 10:31 PM
Honestly, half the time my 5 year old hits the school room in his underwear. I suppose we could call that a uniform.

InstinctiveMom
12-11-2010, 11:19 PM
LOL - count us among the 'pajamas are our uniforms' group.
My boys had uniforms at their school, and yes - it DID save money - but I can't see any reason for it in homeschool. Like Shoe said, it defeats the individuality that homeschooling encourages. On the other hand, whatever works for your family is cool :)
~h

schwartzkari
12-11-2010, 11:36 PM
I gotta say, I really admired the mother's organization. She seemed to know what she was doing and was really cool to talk to.
Our uniforms around here are also pajamas, LOL! I do enjoy the whole aspect of individuality in homeschool. :)

dbmamaz
12-12-2010, 01:10 AM
I was assuming this was going to be another post about humorous home schooler t-shirts, as in, we should all wear the same silly home school t-shirts and say we have a uniform! I've never even KNOWN anyone who went to a school that had uniforms. I mean, i've seen them once in a while . . . but not MET anyone. It would never, ever have occurred to me. And organized is NOT one of my strengths.

Shoe
12-12-2010, 01:21 AM
I was assuming this was going to be another post about humorous home schooler t-shirts, as in, we should all wear the same silly home school t-shirts and say we have a uniform! I've never even KNOWN anyone who went to a school that had uniforms. I mean, i've seen them once in a while . . . but not MET anyone. It would never, ever have occurred to me. And organized is NOT one of my strengths.

Back when I was a kid, I wore a uniform to school in Scotland. School uniforms were pretty standard, whether public school or private school there. In fact, even for the few months I was homeschooled (during a teachers' strike) we wore our uniforms. There are advantages in a general school setting-it puts everyone on a level playing field and takes away part of that "I'm better than you" mentality, but I don't see any advantage in home education. We're trying to encourage, not stifle, our kids' individuality.

Pefa
12-12-2010, 06:25 AM
Wow. Well. B1 & BOO don't own too many clothes so I suppose they have a uniform of sorts and it includes many holes and patches.

Chacun a son goute and all that, but I can think of so many ways to handle those concerns that don't include uniforms. The only folks I know who dictate what their kids wear on a daily basis tend to be the religious fundamentalists. OT: Semantically, if it's only one kid wearing it is it really uniform? Or is it a dress code?

mommykicksbutt
12-12-2010, 06:52 AM
Yeah, uniform, hum... We start the day with me in my robe and sonny in pj pants and a t-shirt but by the end of the school day we are both dressed in jeans and shirts. Since this occurs almost every day I'd say that's uniform enough for us.

outskirtsofbs
12-12-2010, 08:25 AM
Yes, we're definitely in our "uniform" every day---Jeans and T-shirts!--I could see how they would help in PS though.

dottieanna29
12-12-2010, 08:47 AM
Glad to see so many here consider pajamas their "uniform" since we are also firmly in that camp - except youngest dd who usually wears just a pull-up/underwear.:D One of the other boards I go to the responses would lean heavily toward the absolutely shocked that we stay in pj's as it contributes to laziness and not taking school seriously (and some even harsher condemnation). :rolleyes: Comfy works for us.

My oldest went to Catholic school for K to 2nd grade and had to wear uniforms. I found it more complicated having to make sure all the correct pieces were clean every day, making sure we had the exact right socks, only one choice for shoes, etc. She loved funky tights and socks but they weren't allowed (not even varying shades of blue).:p I didn't find it saved us any money shopping for clothes since she needed dance stuff for afterschool, clothes to wear on weekends or when socializing after school. Plus, those uniforms were expensive. She was young so grandparents used to buy her all kinds of cute clothes that she then couldn't wear to school.

I do see the benefit of uniforms in equalizing things (although there were still some competitiveness - the plaid skirts were considered "better" than the jumpers) but from a parenting point of view they were a PITA.

ercswf
12-12-2010, 08:56 AM
While we require my children to get up and get dressed every single day by a reasonable time. (must be ready to go at 7am) We do not have uniforms unless you count supper hero capes and sometimes a mask or two as part of a uniform. Speaking of which for the last month my older son (8) has come to the table in his homemade wizard set up. All in all my kids only have 5 pants, and 6 shirts, 7 pair undies, and 8 pair socks each. Getting dressed is a simple task requiring little thought.

jettyspagetti
12-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Honestly, half the time my 5 year old hits the school room in his underwear. I suppose we could call that a uniform.

Lol, this is pretty much what went through my head when I started reading this thread. My daughter is opposed to clothing other than underwear before 10am or so. Its one battle I don't have the strength to fight.

dbmamaz
12-12-2010, 10:01 AM
While we require my children to get up and get dressed every single day by a reasonable time. (must be ready to go at 7am)
Wow! My husband and I dont even hit the shower until 8:15! Actually, I prefer being up at 7, but since i'm the only morning person, i cave in to peer pressure - since the option would be going to bed before the 7 yo and never seeing my husband.

Riceball_Mommy
12-12-2010, 10:36 AM
I've been trying to get us start earlier, so we've been doing school in our pajamas. I'll usually shower and get dressed after we finish school, and my daughter may or may not get dressed for the day (she takes a bath at night most of the time). I find that she focuses better if we start right after breakfast, getting dressed would take too much time.

Misti
12-12-2010, 10:38 AM
I was intrigued by the subject of this conversation, too.

I have worn school uniforms (Catholic schools in the early 1960s) and I have no objection to them, but they're so unusual around here that we might be asked about doing a play or getting ready for Halloween. Which, come to think of it, since we have one child at home, kind ups the "individuality" factor. At that point he would look way different than the more modern uniform wearers in the their t-shirts and jeans. But we're actually pajama-uniform wearers, too. ;)

Mrs. Weasley's Wand
12-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Even when I was a teacher I found the idea of school uniforms appalling. I can't even handle the Flylady's "wear lace-up shoes everyday" rule. My rule is clothes must be worn when service people are scheduled to arrive at the house. Please cover your butt, somehow, at other times. They tend to choose to do that by employing costumes, underwear, or a kilt. Seldom do they go for more than one of the three at a time. Using the Flylady's methods I have trained myself to put my keys in the same spot and do an underwear check before we leave the house. I may not agree with everything the Flylady wants me to do, but I'm going to have to concede on the keys and everyone should be fully dressed in public points.

Teri
12-12-2010, 01:38 PM
No uniforms here. It has never even crossed my mind. We are always dressed, but what we are dressed in can vary widely from blue jeans to a princess dress.

A lot of the public schools here wear uniforms, so they are very common to see when we are out and about, but I think a homeschooler IN a uniform would generate more questions than it would answer. :p

farrarwilliams
12-12-2010, 03:59 PM
I've heard of this, but I never really believed it. I see the point of uniforms in schools (though I don't know that I support them) but not so much with homeschool. I could see it for fun. Or to help get kids into the swing of the year. The idea that it saves money on costs is just strange to me. It seems to me that how much money you have to spend is how much you have to spend. If a kid doesn't care, then spend it on cheap, simple, comfortable clothes and leave it at that. If s/he does care, spend it as creatively as possible and let gifts be clothes too or the kid can spend their own money on clothing. Why should a uniform be cheaper than T-shirts of different colors? Or pants that were on sale? That makes no sense to me unless you buy fewer clothes or do laundry more.

dottieanna29
12-12-2010, 05:26 PM
The idea that it saves money on costs is just strange to me. It seems to me that how much money you have to spend is how much you have to spend. If a kid doesn't care, then spend it on cheap, simple, comfortable clothes and leave it at that. If s/he does care, spend it as creatively as possible and let gifts be clothes too or the kid can spend their own money on clothing. Why should a uniform be cheaper than T-shirts of different colors? Or pants that were on sale? That makes no sense to me unless you buy fewer clothes or do laundry more.

I don't really understand this either. When we were buying uniforms they were expensive - the jumpers, skirts and skorts were $35 to $40 a piece; blouses and polo shirts were $20 to $25 a piece. I could buy a weeks worth of basic clothes for my kids far cheaper than that. We had enough pieces for dd to wear something different everyday (she was young enough that things got messy/dirty fast) plus one day was gym uniform. Even with once a week or less frequent washing the hems were falling by the end of the year, collars were getting worn, etc. That doesn't even take into consideration out-growing things fast.

dbmamaz
12-12-2010, 05:36 PM
I guess it could spend money if you were buying your kids expensive brand-name clothing and they insisted on new clothes all the time to match the trends in school? But i always bought my kids crap on clearance or thrift stores . . . occasionally something a little nicer - like pants in size slim you cant find cheap or used. Even my daughter was never a clothes hound. I still remember seeing a leather jacket for a baby which was several hundred dollars . . . crazy.

MarkInMD
12-12-2010, 05:45 PM
No uniforms here. Just require some clothing you could wear in public.

I have yet to hear the question, "Shouldn't you be in school?" when we're out during regular school hours (which admittedly isn't often). I kind of can't wait for someone to ask.

StartingOver
12-12-2010, 06:17 PM
My kids preferred school uniform is nothing. I have to crop most pictures above the waist, because they rarely wear anything. I am thrilled if they put on underwear when unexpected guests show up.

Yeah I don't see uniforms in our future, I just hope they want clothes before they are 20 LOL.

All my friends from here that are also on facebook laugh at the pictures of the kids. And just must comment when they are actually dressed !!!

ercswf
12-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Wow! My husband and I dont even hit the shower until 8:15! Actually, I prefer being up at 7, but since i'm the only morning person, i cave in to peer pressure - since the option would be going to bed before the 7 yo and never seeing my husband

My husband is up and out of the house by 7:30 on his late days, and he does not get home till well after 10pm (some days he surprises us for dinner). If we did not get up early we would not see him. Also I have an 9month old that thinks it's a game to be up before the birds sing, and a nephew that I watch who is dropped off about 7:30. If my kids had it their way they would be in bed all day long and never get dressed.

schwartzkari
12-12-2010, 09:18 PM
No uniforms here. It has never even crossed my mind. We are always dressed, but what we are dressed in can vary widely from blue jeans to a princess dress.

A lot of the public schools here wear uniforms, so they are very common to see when we are out and about, but I think a homeschooler IN a uniform would generate more questions than it would answer. :p

LOL Teri, I actually asked the woman if her daughter went to private school because she was in a uniform. The art class was a majority of homeschoolers with 3 or 4 kids who attended public school.

Stella M
12-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Uniforms ? No. They seem vaguely fascist to me.

Miguels mommy
12-13-2010, 02:52 AM
Getting dressed is usually an event that takes a good 2 hours for us. So I may talk to DH about uniforms.

allisonsracquet
12-13-2010, 07:38 AM
My son gets up early, and gets dressed (thank goodness without a fight)...although when he goes through a spurt where he is melting down I do make him where collared shirts and get a haircut...2 things he is not fond of. I do this to remind him that he is a gentleman (and as you can imagine, I haven't had to do it in over a year, because it was effective). He prefers sports shorts and t-shirts and that is what he wears everyday.
Because I am new to homeschooling, it was ME that I found needed a homeschool uniform. I do have to leave the house (my oldest is in high school) and neighbors often come by (we live in FL and older people seem to drop by frequently). I have found some cute things that look nice, but feel like pajamas...and I do refer to it as my homeschool uniform :)

Kell
12-13-2010, 08:47 AM
I must say, I do feel better now, knowing there are other underwear homeschoolers out there!

StartingOver
12-13-2010, 11:21 AM
Sorry for multiple posts, but I had to respond to this, as I was beginning to think I was the only person on earth who had to do this! Now that my dd is 6.5, I have to crop them at the neck. Not that she has anything even beginning to resemble breasts, and personally I think it's fine, but I can't put pictures of her topless on facebook at her age. Whenever I'm taking pics of the baby and DD1 tries to get in I always have to tell her that I'm sorry, but she can't get in the pic unless she puts some clothes on. It makes her *so* mad. lol However, I can't have all the pics of the baby with DD1 in them wearing nothing but undies. She only wears those because once she turned 5 we made a rule that she at least has to wear underwear. The total nudity was a little much for DH by that point.

Hey it is hot in South Texas, I wear as little as possible most of the year. Unless we go out into public of course, then we must all wear clothes. ;-)

Stephany
12-13-2010, 11:42 AM
We are a pajama type family ourselves. Maybe I should sew us matching pajamas. LOL

Berta
12-13-2010, 02:45 PM
No uniforms here. Just require some clothing you could wear in public.

I have yet to hear the question, "Shouldn't you be in school?" when we're out during regular school hours (which admittedly isn't often). I kind of can't wait for someone to ask.

I just got this last week! Its been pretty cold here so I take my daughters to the mall to walk. We stopped at Auntie Annes to get a pretzel and the woman behind the counter said to me "Shouldn't THAT ONE be in school?" She was pointing to my 15 yr old daughter. I have been asked before but never in such a rude way, and never referring to my daughter as "that one". I normally do not mind answering that we homeschool. This time, I was ready with a come back. I said "YES, todays class is to learn how to deal with rude people. Thank you for being the perfect study subject. "

I am not one to think of comebacks on the spot, I keep a few in the back of my mind for dealing with rude people.

Ok, back on subject :)

dbmamaz
12-13-2010, 04:52 PM
I normally do not mind answering that we homeschool. This time, I was ready with a come back. I said "YES, todays class is to learn how to deal with rude people. Thank you for being the perfect study subject.
Awesome! I cant imagine having the gall!

schwartzkari
12-13-2010, 08:51 PM
LMAO! Um, yeah, that's my 6.5yo....still. When the heck do they become modest?

LOL, my daughter is headed toward 7 also and I was wondering the same thing!

schwartzkari
12-13-2010, 08:56 PM
I just got this last week! Its been pretty cold here so I take my daughters to the mall to walk. We stopped at Auntie Annes to get a pretzel and the woman behind the counter said to me "Shouldn't THAT ONE be in school?" She was pointing to my 15 yr old daughter. I have been asked before but never in such a rude way, and never referring to my daughter as "that one". I normally do not mind answering that we homeschool. This time, I was ready with a come back. I said "YES, todays class is to learn how to deal with rude people. Thank you for being the perfect study subject. "

I am not one to think of comebacks on the spot, I keep a few in the back of my mind for dealing with rude people.

Ok, back on subject :)

Some people! I'm not good with comebacks on the spot either but I think you put the pretzel lady in her place! LMAO!

dbmamaz
12-13-2010, 08:57 PM
When I lived on a commune, clothing was optional most places, but no one ever wore bathing suits . . .until they reached double digits, or right before then. And since kids never stayed (but occasionally did return later), i never saw what age they were willing to take the suits off again. However, my current 7 yo has been closing his door to change clothes since before his birthday. The other two were later.

StartingOver
12-13-2010, 10:17 PM
LOL, my daughter is headed toward 7 also and I was wondering the same thing!

Judging from my older kids somewhere around 8- 10, or when some evidence of puberty shows itself.

Stella M
12-14-2010, 04:02 PM
We had underwear homeschoolers too, until the girls were about 8 or 9. Ds is more modest and insists on 'proper clothes', even on a 40 degree day!

Seriously though...uniforms for children disturb me. Adults have some choice about taking jobs which require uniforms. Children having to wear uniforms for school or homeschool! do not. (Unless they request it, of course, as a dress up kind of thing or because they want to join an organisation like scouts that has uniform and they are perfectly willing. Even then, I don't think its a completely free choice. ) Uniforms are part of creating a compulsory school identity - valuing the group identity over the individual - I hate uniforms.

Dutchbabiesx2
12-14-2010, 10:49 PM
thank you all for this post and the replies, I don't feel so bad about the PJ's! my youngest is more sensory defensive on clothes and shoes, so I buy a lot of 'cozy pants', my older one is so thin I buy girl's leggings for PJ's and now let him wear them out, I've been ok with that for about a year, even yoga pants are great. We travel a lot and those are great for travel, warm and flexible.
But I still do a little dictating on clothes when we are out more than a quick grocery shopping. I basically lay out clothes and they put them on, maybe when they are 40 and still requiring that I can look back on what I would have done differently.

Busygoddess
12-15-2010, 01:40 AM
When I was in school, our district started talking about requiring uniforms for the public schools. I was livid, and quite vocal about my feelings. I had no problems telling the school that uniforms were a waste of money & one that not all families could afford without financial strain, a way to stamp out individuality, and an infringement on our freedoms. Of course, this was coming from a 16 year old who was responsible for buying most of her own clothes & didn't want to waste money on school uniforms. My mom pretty much only bought me the dressy stuff she wanted me to wear to family get-togethers & holidays. If she wanted me to wear it, she had to spend the money on it. My paycheck was paying for gas for my car, my school supplies, my everyday clothes, my work clothes, lunch, and my personal stuff like cigarettes, movies, books, etc. Trying to pay for school uniforms on top of the rest of what I paying for, was not going to happen.
However, school uniforms do help prevent some of the bullying for being 'the poor students' or students getting jumped for their leather jackets or expensive shoes. So, they can serve a purpose. Some schools do take it too far, though. At the Jr High my nieces attended, each grade has different colors. So, you can't wear them again the next year, even if they still fit & are in good condition. Basically, I'm rather ambivalent about uniforms in public schools.

I don't see any logic to requiring uniforms, on an everyday basis, for homeschoolers, though. I've heard of some who have their kids wear matching clothes or the same colors when they go on field trips. That, I can kind of understand. On a daily basis, when they're at home or the regular classes/activities they attend, I just don't see the point in uniforms. In my mind, that kills one of the big benefits I see in homeschooling - the encouragement of their individuality.

BrendaE
02-08-2011, 03:12 PM
heheh last year when I was doing HS .. the kids (then 6 and 12) wore their harry potter robes during school hours.. LOL I didnt ask them to do it though.!

sdvance
02-08-2011, 03:28 PM
My kids wore uniforms when they went to a private school. They hated it! I liked it, since the choice was easy. Khakis and polo...you get to pick the color of your polo. Not too hard.

Now, it's whatever goes. If I would have taken first day of homeschooling pics, it would have been my sons sitting at the computer in their underwear and daughter in pj's.

bcnlvr
02-08-2011, 03:53 PM
My motto: "I don't care what you wear as long as you get your work done."

dbmamaz
02-08-2011, 04:13 PM
I make them get dressed cuz we always have some sort of PE - either go to martail arts class, or walk the dog. Neither is willing to go in public in pjs. I dont really want them to, either, but if someone made a big deal of it, i'd let them. But they will refuse to go out of the house (except maybe the back yard for a few minutes) unless dressed.

ItBeganInCamp4
02-08-2011, 10:06 PM
We wear PJs plenty, but I've also had my fair share of working with little princesses/lady bugs/butterflies in the their dress up clothes

MrsLOLcat
02-08-2011, 11:24 PM
My idea of a uniform is something M1 can wear in the car while we go drop M2 off and pick her up from school. The first snow day we had, a few weeks ago, where I insisted on some sort of school structure during the day, I'll be damned if M2 didn't get up and put on her private school uniform for homeschool. I told her she didn't have to wear it, and she looked at me and said, "But... I want to."

Ooooookay. Uniform it was!

Batgirl
02-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Ahh, no. I insist on underwear, but that's about it. It honestly never occurred to me to try uniforms. I do support the idea in public schools though, for the reason Shoe mentioned.

CyndiLJ
02-09-2011, 02:43 AM
We live in rural Western Colorado, where temps are COLD...and it seems for all 5 of our kids the "uniform" is shorts and a TShirt no matter what time of year, or if Mom is wearing a turtleneck!

Depending upon the day, it can be a Mickey Mouse hat with ears, a Kazakh vest, or a Nerf belt, fully loaded.

Love, love, love homeschooling!

And yes, I am thinking about some goofy, smart aleck T shirts for all of us!

Cindy

missourimom
02-09-2011, 09:40 AM
It never crossed my mind but I guess I can see how it might help if you had a bunch of kids for easy hand me downs since shirts like polos are pretty gender neutral & tend to last longer than tshirts. Maybe if you had multiples the same age so sharing didn't cause fights?? I just don't see it being a benefit for us.

I do ask my kids to get dressed directly before or after breakfast. Now, this may mean sweatpants & a tshirt, but going through those physical motions of "getting ready" make a difference for us. The days we're feeling lazy & had a pajama day (once every few months) we're lucky to complete art & reading. But that keeps those pajama days special around here. (Whooo, Mom let us stay in our jammies ALL day!!) lol

naturegirl7
02-09-2011, 10:56 AM
We usually learn at the breakfast table in our PJs - does that count? LOL

Sam
02-09-2011, 04:03 PM
We don't do uniforms though I do have DD get dressed every day. She seems to have a pj mentality... if she's wearing pjs her brain says lazy time! If she's wearing clothes, her brain is actually open to doing school work. I on the otherhand have always (I was/am a SAHM) stayed in my pjs unless leaving the house. DD's used to this though so it doesn't dawn on here that "how come I have to get dressed and you don't". I also dress the baby everyday whether we're going out or not.

Now, if I had the money to buy them, DD would looooove uniform clothes! She does have a uniform style jumper/dress and a few uniformish polo tops and she loves them. Rather than the fancy stuff, she gravitates to the uniformish clothes at stores.

dbmamaz
02-09-2011, 04:12 PM
Hah, my kids . . . Raven wants only sweatpants and striped t-shirts (no collars) and he chews up his sleeves. Orion likes overalls . . . i got him a pair for xmas or b-day last year, dont remember. Often with a red turtleneck . . . .yeah, not exactly fashion conscous.

ercswf
02-09-2011, 05:08 PM
My older son LOVES Polo and oxford shirts. His favorite pants are Dark washes Jeans and Khakis. My younger son wears Red, as much read as he can as often as he can and if I would let him he would wear PJ pants(soft flannel ones) all day and night. I do make my younger son change pants before we leave the house.

Stella M
02-09-2011, 05:15 PM
I had one friend who tried homeschooling but then quit, partly because she just couldn't get her head around "all those kids running around with long hair, no shoes, and in their pj's all day". So hard to learn when you're comfortable!

TamaraNC
02-10-2011, 05:29 PM
The kids received their new aikido uniforms yesterday. Apparently, they're going to be our HS uniforms as well. Can't get them out of them!

bovinekitti
04-17-2011, 06:05 PM
We're going to try the uniforms... after all the headaches about clothes we go through daily - sometimes multiple times a day. With 4 girls and 1 son, there's always an issue, and it really runs the gamut. Up until now I only insisted the kids matched when going to larger cities/public places - primarily for safety and visual organization...ie: I can spot them out of the corner of my eye. And, they can find each other in the crowd.
However, it seems like it would make laundry time WAY easier.... so we've ordered some items so that they all know what to wear each day, don't need to spend the time picking clothes out the day before. No haggles on who wants to wear what (2 of my daughters are the same size so I often have to buy doubles of everything anyway). No issues for my son insisting on wearing only red (but dear, I have to wash them eventually)...or my youngest 2 year old, wanting to wear her sister's clothes that are 2 sizes too big...or some other off-season item that is completely innapropriate (winter hat with earflaps in summer?!... yeah, ok, fun... but do I have to keep track of that on every outing, and everytime it gets taken off and dropped while in the car...screaming to get it since she's strapped in the carseat? - uh, no thanks...the novelty for this sort of thing wears off.)
So, in a few days we'll try the uniform. And we'll see if it streamlines the morning process, the household responsibilities... and refocuses energies.

MoonSprite
04-17-2011, 10:32 PM
I grew up wearing a uniform every day (Catholic School).

In the last state we lived, many of the public schools - and pretty much every charter school - were even implementing uniforms (very basic kinds.)

The only time we did it (because, giggle, yeah, we did...) was when oldest dd was about 12 or 13 and she *really* wanted to. She thought the plaid skirts/skorts that you could get at French Toast were SO cute. But it wasn't a "rule" or something she HAD to do or anything.

Oh - and in general - we are in the PJs club too. :)

lilypoo
04-18-2011, 02:55 AM
I bought my 6yo two khaki uniform bottoms (shorts and a skort) and two uniform polos (light blue plus pink--usually pink is not an "allowed" color locally) from Old Navy because I'm a photographer and I wanted some sample images of a child in a "uniform" for one of my portfolios. LOL She loves wearing the outfits though and has suggested we make it the "uniform" for her brothers and sister as well. It wouldn't go over well with my oldest kids but the little brother might go for it. Personally I do like to have everyone get dressed in the AM because as soneone else mentioned, there's a "PJ-mentality" thing that happens around here when we're in "loungewear."

lakshmi
04-18-2011, 03:20 AM
Well, it is almost unanimous.. the hs uniform is PAJAMAS!!! Depends on where and when, but we mostly use pajamas. I thought of having t-shirts made with the name of our school on it, but didn't.

ESNQueen
04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Hmm, I never even considered a uniform but actually, it sounds like it might be a good idea for us! Maybe not a uniform, but yes, a dress code sounds like maybe a good idea... I don't see it as squelching creativity or individuality at all, really. DD is young enough I have to approve her wardrobe anyway - my dollars, my veto power. We spend a ridiculous amount of time trying to get DD dressed in the morning (she likes to mix patterns and it gives me a headache) so a standard shirt-and-khaki's might not be a bad idea. You've given me food for thought...

Around here, if I let the day go along in our pajamas, nothing gets done. It's like a green light to be lazy. I know it works for some, but not us! :)

rumbledolly
04-18-2011, 06:23 PM
Well, it is almost unanimous.. the hs uniform is PAJAMAS!!! Depends on where and when, but we mostly use pajamas. I thought of having t-shirts made with the name of our school on it, but didn't.

A life without pj's is almost like a life without sunshine! Could be our new HS motto!

We've thought about t-shirts with our school name on it as a sort of joke. I was going to make a big deal and do awards night and of course my DD was going to win all the awards though I did think of a few for make believe people just to throw her off...hehehe!

I have to say though the idea of uniforms would mean less laundry and less general public looks when we're out and about. Though I never do anything half way so we'd have to have name tags, envelopes for lunch money, fundraisers, parent teacher conferences.............................

Ariadne
04-18-2011, 09:11 PM
Yeah, pajamas is the homeschool uniform. The only one here who gets dressed is my 12yo son. I'm lucky to get anything on my 6yo as he prefers to school in his underwear, lol.

When I'm really feeling formal or festive, I put on my white robe instead of the blue one. :P

Satori
04-25-2011, 11:42 AM
Chiming in late, but since this thread was already bumped up...

My daughter is a pajama wearer. She only wears super soft, loose clothes, so that means pajamas. Sometimes I have to crop above the waist, as she doesn't like to wear pants. I am buying her soft, loose clothes today, so hopefully she'll wearing something other than pajamas during the day.

schwartzkari
04-25-2011, 09:54 PM
omgoodness, did I really post this thread back in December? LOL.

It looks like pajamas win! :) I own more pajama pants than I do regular pants....

Satori
04-26-2011, 12:27 PM
Have you tried Hanna Andersson dresses? They really are softer and thicker than many brands. My dd, who has some sensory issues and also doesn't like to wear clothes, will wear Hanna dresses without complaint. Our only problem is that she won't wear any of the ones with seams in the wrong places, so most of their styles are a no go.

Yep, we totally love Hanna Andersson! That's been our only sources of underwear and socks that my daughter will tolerate. We buy all their play dresses. (She has to wear something when she leaves the house.) I am wondering if my daughter has sensory issues. She is always super picky about her clothes. I did find some loose, soft clothes yesterday (not as expensive as Hanna) that she loved and is wearing now.

Eileen
04-28-2011, 08:09 AM
It never occurred to me to put a uniform on my kid, but I guess whatever works for a family is the best thing. I can't see letting my daughter stay in pajamas, simply because the longer I let her stay in them, the harder it will be to get her dressed and out of the house. Better to just do it right off the bat, then we're ready to leave at a moment's notice.

I will say, I wore a uniform all through high school (Catholic school) and I absolutely loved it. I loved not having to think about what to wear (not a morning person, or particularly interested in fashion) and I loved that it was much harder to tell if someone had money or not. It was a bit of an equalizer, and my school (in Baltimore City) had a wide range of economic situations. It was just a kilt, blouse and tights with penny loafers or oxfords, and I found it very comfortable. People still found ways to be individuals, and I think there's so much more to that than what you wear. I'm not saying it's for everyone, but it worked for me.

PetVet
08-17-2011, 12:24 PM
Totally against uniforms here. In fact, it was one of the reasons that I started HSing earlier then I had originally planned to - our local public school was thinking about implementing a uniform policy. I wouldn't have gone along with it, but wasn't sure if I was up for (yet another!) fight with the administration.

Excerpt from an article I forwarded to our local PS board:

"Employers want adaptable workers adept at creative and critical thinking, good decision-making and effective problem-solving. ...students need to adapt, not conform. Students need to learn to dress appropriately based on context. Dress codes do not facilitate this learning. Instead, dress codes teach students that conformity and obedience to authority are most important. Individuality is suppressed." - Scott Key, Ph.D., Fresno Pacific University School of Education

When we do things out of the house, we dress for the weather, the occasion, etc., but during our at home hours, pyjamas/workout clothes/loungewear are definately appropriate choices! :)

jessica14
08-17-2011, 12:51 PM
Totally against uniforms here. In fact, it was one of the reasons that I started HSing earlier then I had originally planned to - our local public school was thinking about implementing a uniform policy. I wouldn't have gone along with it, but wasn't sure if I was up for (yet another!) fight with the administration. :)

I agree with this. We had one implemented about three years ago. I opted out,but we put DD in one just so she wouldn't feel out of place. Well, that didn't last long. Now almost no one wears one but I think it is still official policy. Just one of the really misguided things the district chose to do. So glad we are hsing! And I may just have some days we hs in pj's!

coloradoalice
08-17-2011, 03:59 PM
While we require my children to get up and get dressed every single day by a reasonable time. (must be ready to go at 7am)

That's impressive. We're not even out of bed at 7am!

. Please cover your butt, somehow, at other times.

This sounds like my house.

"YES, todays class is to learn how to deal with rude people. Thank you for being the perfect study subject. "

So awesome!!

We are pajama people most of the time, with robes and sweaters on top in the winter.

jazz
08-17-2011, 08:45 PM
I've never done uniforms, but I do tend to buy a bunch of whatever the kids are happy to wear for each season. IE-a bunch of the same shirt but in different colors. Right now, DS has I think 5 pairs of identical jean shorts and 3-4 tan ones. It's just easier for both of us to streamline dressing in the summer when he doesn't care what he's wearing, as long as it doesn't slow him down in crafting chaos! DD likes to have more choice, but her clothes tend to be similar to one another as well once I find a particular dress she likes, buying 3 in different patterns, etc. I tend to limit clothing changes to once in the morning and one change later if needed to minimize the endless-changes-all-day phenomenon. We also all only have about 10 changes worth of clothes for each season, to streamline choices about what to wear.

Staysee34
08-17-2011, 09:10 PM
My girls were required to wear uniforms for PS and although it saved morning struggles, not to mention money, I didn't really care for it. As for our homeschool dress code, I don't have one. The only thing I want them to do is change clothes. Whether it be a fresh pair of pj's or what have you makes no difference. It's just going through the motions to help set up our day.

Busygoddess
08-19-2011, 10:19 AM
There's a difference between a dress code & required uniforms. I think too many people miss the difference & see them as the same thing.

Every school I ever attended had a dress code - no midriff shirts, no skirts that show off your butt cheeks, pants must cover your underwear, no wearing drug paraphenalia, no hooded sweatshirts, no hats, no coats/jackets in class. Yeah, most of that is common sense, but unfortunately some people don't have common sense & would go to school dressed like Julia Roberts in the beginning of Pretty Woman if the rules didn't forbid it.

Required uniforms are different. Uniforms are very strict, all you are allowed to wear are pants like this, shirts like this, skirts like this, socks like this, and these are the only colors you can wear.

For the most part, dress codes are flexible enough to still allow plenty of individuality & self-expression, while making sure that all students are dressed appropriately. I see nothing wrong with most dress codes. If the parents aren't going to do their job and make sure their daughters don't leave the house looking like they should be working the street corner or make sure their sons' pants cover their boxers, then the schools have every right to put rules in place regarding what is & is not appropriate to wear. School is a place to learn, to further academic acheivement, not to look at someone's underwear. How can a boy be expected to focus on his schoolwork if the girl next to him is wearing a skirt so short it disappears when she sits down?

Now, when they try to go too far with dress codes, I'm all for fighting. We staged a walk-out when the administration at one of my high schools tried to take too much control with the dress code. The new dress code included things like what color hair we could have, what hairstyles we could have, no shirts with prints (had to be just plain, solid color shirts), no decorations on any clothes, no jewelry at all, no piercings or tattoos, etc. We fought. Our walk-out actually blocked traffic on a main street.

The dress codes that most schools have, though, aren't bad. In fact, many of them are similar to many workplace dress codes. You wouldn't go into the office dressed in a mini skirt & halter top, so why should girls be allowed to wear that to school?

JennyD
08-19-2011, 11:43 PM
In a thousand million years it would not occur to me to buy school uniform clothing. However, I make everyone get out of their pjs and into regular clothes before breakfast in large part because they only have two pairs of pajamas each so I would prefer that they not spill milk on them.

My older boys (6 and 3) do sometimes want to wear matching clothes, which they can generally assemble from their very limited and unimaginative (on my part) wardrobe. Unfortunately, sometimes one -- usually the older one, oddly enough -- wants to 'match' and the other one doesn't, which does not make for a terribly relaxing start to the day, but I doubt uniforms would entirely solve that problem.

CatInTheSun
08-20-2011, 12:05 AM
Only rule is "no pants, no service" at the breakfast table. Since they eat breakfast at 9:30a and are up before 6am we do a lot of homeschooling with them just in a t-shirt and underwear (their summer sleepwear). (They eat fruit and a cup of milk when they first get up; even with windows totally darkened the youngest is up at 5:15am...sigh)

Whatever gets decimal multiplication out of the way before my second cup of coffee works for me! :D PJs work in the winter.

Hmmm, maybe we should have this year's "school pictures" done in their PJs? Use it to make little ID cards for our "academy". LOL

Stella M
08-20-2011, 12:37 AM
My little style maven has been seduced by the winter tracksuit she was required to wear to the ps last week and the week before. She says it's so warm and cosy :) It's sad; I loathe uniforms, so much so that I would never work anywhere that required a uniform. Unless it's for OH&S, I find uniforms somewhat facist. Still, her choice, and she does look warm!

Melyssa
08-20-2011, 02:29 AM
I just think it's weird. LOL But whatever floats her boat.

pnctink
08-20-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm glad this thread was revived! I would have never thought of using uniforms for homeschool either, but we're a pj family. Actually, we all have more sets of pjs than actual clothes. (It all started when I learned to sew pants made from old t-shirts.) Anyhow, I wore a school uniform from grades 1-8, and then had a dress code in 9 and 10. I went to public school in 11th and 12th, and we had a very small dress code there. Like almost non-existant. I don't think the uniform ended the barrier between rich and poor because the poorer kids had yellowing shirts and their uniforms were usually too small. Their parents couldn't afford new ones every year. I've never been a fan of uniforms, but it could be because they were polyester and itched like crazy come June. :)

ItoLina
08-20-2011, 05:46 PM
I never thought about this. I really don't think I would do the uniform thing, but I do have a rule that we are all dressed and ready for the day before we start school. It just makes me feel like we are ready to go. It has also become a signal to my son that it is time for school to start once his clothes are on.

lakshmi
08-21-2011, 02:00 AM
HEY ADMINS.... time for a Secular Homeschooling Uniform shirt, that looks like a pajama top (or maybe IS a pajama top!)

Or Better yet, go full on to Pajamas!!! Green with the magnifying glass and the bugs! Yes yes yes !!!

Do it!

Eileen
08-21-2011, 08:52 AM
Melissa, did your dd decide against school after all? If so, I missed it.

mommykicksbutt
08-22-2011, 05:41 AM
Having grown up in a military family, joined the military, and married someone who is career military, uniforms are the norm that I see and don't bother me. Even my mother wore a uniform when she worked, she was a chef. Many occupations require a uniform, I don't think it's any big deal but each family should do what works for them for homeschooling.

When sonny went to private school they had a rather loose uniform policy. It was easy, inexpensive, and made for a hassle free morning. For the boys it was chino pants or shorts, and a polo shirt. That's it. The uniform pieces didn't have to be from any particular manufacture, I bough them at Target and Walmart or got hand-me downs from parents of the older kids at the school. The polo shirts could be in any solid color. The chinos could be black, blue or khaki. The shirts were not required to be tucked in nor were belts required on the pants (unless they were too big) When we pulled sonny from school to homeschool him he wanted to continue to wear the chino pants and shorts and the polo shirts. Honestly that's about all he had in his wardrobe then too because it was a good fit for any occasion. Even today, he'll still put on khakis and a polo shirt when we go out as a family, that's what his father wears when not in his military or doctor's uniform. Otherwise, just around the house and hanging with his friends he is now comfortable with jeans and a t-shirt (my preferred uniform :) ).

Although we still start the school day in PJ's and transistion to street clothes later in the day.

Dutchbabiesx2
08-22-2011, 12:26 PM
our current uniform . . . . I'm on-board for a T-shirt,
maybe we need a competition of design from the SHS kids!!! then Topsy can get a little profit from the sales . . .

Eileen
08-23-2011, 04:54 PM
I would never think of having a uniform for homeschooling, but I am not anti-uniform for school in general. I wore a uniform all through high school and found it extremely freeing. I loved not having to think of what to wear, or feel bad if other girls had nicer clothes (we didn't have much money), and we looked pretty cute in them too (plaid kilts and Oxford shirts). People still found ways to express their individuality. I never felt oppressed by the uniform at all.

Stella M
08-23-2011, 04:59 PM
I felt very oppressed by mine. It was so ugly. It was a polyester tea coloured blouse with a brown skirt. We looked like tea bags.

Eileen, no, she's still going. The last few weeks were just enrichment/orientation. Year 7 - school proper - starts for us in late January. Her uniform is a shocker too, though not as ugly as mine was.

crunchynerd
09-03-2011, 09:13 AM
So glad someone posted this! I think uniforms are great because so long as they are practical and comfortable, and the idea of not having an exploding closet and exploding laundry pile is GREAT.

So far, I don't have a good solution, though, between the consequences of looking like a parochial school girl (people assume, understandably, that she is one, and that we probably are church-goers, which we aren't), and the consequences of trying to use jeans and tops as a daily 'uniform' as I do. It works for me, which is good, because much as I love dresses and skirts, wearing Men's 11 WW workboots under them in winter because women's boots don't fit me, is not a reasonable option.

But I have now seen, that after having had to hitch them up for the last 5 months, my daughter is getting too big and tall for her jeans. They fit her just right, for what, a month? After all that hassle finding any that were decently comfortable for her? Jeans don't have much give, and with girls' jeans being so inappropriately form-fitting and embellished in fashion ideas that are not consistent with childhood innocence, I am beginning to think they aren't the solution for her, that they have been for me. Only boys' jeans have room to move in, and hang on while still having a little room for growth, but they fit her funny (as they do me) because there's too much room in front, not enough room in back, unless they are way too big, and besides, the whole point of this is not to stigmatize her socially, which wearing obviously male clothing, does.

So it's back to the drawing board. She likes the blouse and uniform skort we found, but white blouses without some type of jumper over them just aren't practical for her, and she can't handle a jumper or anything with a turtleneck. So scratch that.

Sweatpants under shirts and dresses in winter, with dresses/tights and pants/shirts in fall and Spring, shorts and skirts in summer....now we're back to a full typical wardrobe of a lotta lotta pieces, and any pants that aren't stretchy somehow, don't fit for long. Erg. Still no answers except, "we need to get rid of most of her clothes, and make sure she has only a few basic pieces, all of which go with each other and can be arranged in various combinations for the weather, and all of it needs to be low-maintenance for stains."

Any success stories on this issue are appreciated.

SueEllen Grieves-Curl
09-03-2011, 08:46 PM
ok that is just funny. Half the time my kids are still in their pj's till after they have done their paperwork for the day.

anywaybecause
09-03-2011, 09:56 PM
SueEllen, I was just about to post: No uniforms for us, unless you count pjs!

SabrinaT
09-04-2011, 08:57 PM
The only reason I considered an (optional) uniform for our homeschool is that my daughter is obsessed with Japanese anime and was really interested in being able to wear a Japanese school uniform. It kind of defeats the purpose of "individuality" which I see as key in home education.

Unless you consider pajamas on a regular basis as a uniform? Then both my kids and I are definitely into wearing uniforms! :D

Shoe, want me to send your daughter one. Let her know they are really long, the girls wear them the appropriate length until they get about 500 feet from their door. Then they roll them up until they arrive at school. She might also find it interesting that most Japanese kids wear one uniform to school then change into their actual school "uniform" once they get there. Then change back into their traveling uniform to go home. They also have a PE uniform, as well as a sports day uniform. Not all schools are that way in Japan, but most of the ones I have seen are. Its vert interesting...

Crabby Lioness
09-06-2011, 01:18 PM
I love school uniforms -- for other people's children. Why? Because those children feel so oppressed by their uniforms they insist their parents buy them really colorful, decorative, expensive clothes to wear on the weekends to express themselves. And because they hardly ever wear them, by the time they are outgrown they end up at the thrift store with hardly any wear on them where I buy them for these $30-$50 items for under $5 each. Some years my girls don't own a pair of pants without bling on them. That's our school uniform! :grin:

CatInTheSun
09-07-2011, 12:24 AM
This morning the kids were doing jigsaw puzzles with their dad. When the school bus drove by, I heard my 8yo dd telling her sister conspiratorially, "If you went to school you would have gotten up and had breakfast already and had to leave your family for the whole day. [pause] And those kids are all wearing PANTS!" The last was in such a dramatic tone. :D It's been so hot here, the kids have been sleeping in sleeveless T-shirts and panties. I'm lucky to get them to put pants on by lunch. So apparently that's our official homeschool uniform! Ha!

Shoe
09-07-2011, 09:22 AM
This morning the kids were doing jigsaw puzzles with their dad. When the school bus drove by, I heard my 8yo dd telling her sister conspiratorially, "If you went to school you would have gotten up and had breakfast already and had to leave your family for the whole day. [pause] And those kids are all wearing PANTS!" The last was in such a dramatic tone. :D It's been so hot here, the kids have been sleeping in sleeveless T-shirts and panties. I'm lucky to get them to put pants on by lunch. So apparently that's our official homeschool uniform! Ha!
LOL. We've been in similar attire recently-just too hot and humid to wear anything else.