PDA

View Full Version : What is for breakfast?

alexsmom
01-24-2017, 06:50 PM
A few months ago, I gave up on cooking hearty, wholesome breakfasts for my boys (and myself). It was just too much work, too much mess, and not enough protein. I didnt want to give them sugar cereals, either, so I started buying Jimmy Dean Sausage/egg/cheese croissants. 75 seconds in the microwave and its done. So now, several months later.... I am getting a bit tired of them.
And am I a slacker? Do I lose my Donna card (not that I had one, the state of my house attests to that) for not producing a well-balanced hearty meal?
What do other people do? Am I in the realm of typical with my breakfast habits?
Im so curious, and wouldnt mind expanding my easy with protein repertoire, either.

aselvarial
01-24-2017, 07:31 PM
I do a number of things. We make up a HUGE batch of belgian waffles every few weeks and freeze them. Tech LOVES freezer waffles. $4 for the Krusteaz box (though I try to buy them when Publix has them b1g1) and they make up around 2-3 dozen waffles. MUCH cheaper than Eggo (and they stay warm for much longer for some reason). Pop them out of the freezer and right into the toaster. For me? I make up a sort of breakfast casserole, with scrambled eggs, tater tots, cheese, ham (or sausage or bacon, whichever I have on hand). The extra large silicone cupcake pan is great for this. it makes six and I freeze them. Pop them in the oven for 45 minutes or so on 350-400 and breakfast is ready without me doing more than popping it in the oven. I also REALLY love frozen biscuits (either Pillbsury or Mary B's biscuits). Buy the extra large sausage patties, and 20 minutes in the oven for the biscuits and 1 minute in the microwave for the sausage and boom. Breakfast. No muss no fuss. Yes, yes, I can make my own biscuits and freeze them, but a 20 pack of Mary B's is $4. $4 is well worth the time it would take for me to make the biscuits, roll them out, cut them, and clean up the mess. We also have oatmeal but I'm the only one who eats it, and cold cereal for when Tech wakes up early and wants food and I want to sleep

Deli76
01-24-2017, 08:34 PM
A popular morning food here is a fried egg sandwich, toaster and a fried egg. Sometimes a potato and egg bfast taco. The taco is either home made or I go down the street to the mexican restaurant. Sometimes pancakes. Dd likes bagels and cream cheese. Dh and ds will eat almost anything you put in front of him in in the am. I like to grab a handful of fruit in the morning. Breakfast really changed once I found out about my diabetes and allergies. I miss the bacon and sausage. :( And I am so not giving up my potato n egg breakfast tacos with tons of hot sauce! NO WAY! LOL!

farrarwilliams
01-25-2017, 04:43 PM
All of the above. Depends on the day. We do usually have something, it's rarely skipped altogether. But we'll go through phases. Cereal for awhile, bagels and cream cheese for awhile, eggs getting cooked (it's one of the few things both the kids can cook easily), me making hot oatmeal with lots of fruit, everyone grabbing granola bars, kids tearing into their leftovers from Chipotle... could be anything.

ChildoftheMoon
01-25-2017, 07:11 PM
A combo of the choices above, except we do not own a microwave or buy cereal. Some days it is catch what you can, but we always have these things on hand: homemade bread, fruit (peanut butter on apple slices is very popular these days), oatmeal with nuts, waffles, smoothies, sandwiches, whip up a batch of scones, eggs, fish on rice, beans on rice. Food prep around here is time consuming no matter how small and simple the meal is (7 kids), but I do have teens who like to cook. We have a batch cooking day twice a week to make things easier the rest of the week. Packaged food never goes very far so we just make most everything. We have been known to eat popcorn, apples, cheese, and olives for breakfast or lunch.

RTB
01-25-2017, 07:50 PM
I usually make a big tray of baked oatmeal or loaf of quick bread on Mondays for people to eat off during the week. That is all the cooking I do - everyone is pretty much on their own around here.

DS is a big breakfast burrito fan. He makes that on his own. He'll also eat the Jimmy Dean egg white sandwich. Sometimes he'll make us all scrambled eggs and turkey bacon. Sometimes he'll eat dinner left overs.

I'm a lazy breakfast eater. I drink coffee until I feel like I'm gonna climb the walls, then I break down and have breakfast :o I usually eat something like a slice of sour dough with nut butter / coconut oil, a boiled egg, a hand full of almonds with an apple, or a bowl of warm berries with flax seed and almond milk, hummus with toasted pita bread.

DD will sometimes have breakfast, sometimes not. Mostly she'll have something that is more like a snack than a meal.

Topsy
01-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Have you heard of "overnight oatmeal"? The peanut butter one has become my obsession. Such a quick fix because you make it prior to bed in a mason jar and it's ready for you in the morning!
Here's the link to the recipe I've been using: Peanut Butter Overnight Oats | Minimalist Baker (http://minimalistbaker.com/peanut-butter-overnight-oats/)

alwayssmile
01-25-2017, 11:02 PM
One of my kids is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, and wheat which pretty much knocks out most breakfast foods. We mostly eat safe cereal in almond milk. If we're getting fancy oatmeal in the Instant Pot. On the weekends we might do pancakes, but we're still trying to find a recipe that we'll all eat.

Oksana
01-26-2017, 01:12 AM
We take our food seriously - no pre-packaged, processed food would do. I do not mind cooking a little bit for breakfast:
- fried eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, eggs benedicts, egg muffins (from our own chickens) - 3-4 times a week;
- bacon, sausages (I custom make them from a pig we buy from a farm every year)- 2-3 times a week;
- I have a recipe for ricotta cheese/whole grain waffles that everybody loves - 1-2 times a week;
- I often make sauteed vegetables (tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, whatever else is in the refrigerator) to go with eggs or meats;
- pancakes. First, we have savory ones, and then I add chocolate chips in the last batch so that everyone can finish with one choc. chip pancake - 1-2 times a week;
- oatmeal - our laziest breakfast - 1-2 times a week;
- fresh berries, apples, grapes, citrus fruits to finish off - every day.

I know, I know - we are a crazy high-maintenance mixture of foodies and nutritional Nazis, but I would not have it otherwise :D

Luv2HS
01-26-2017, 06:36 AM
One of my kids is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, and wheat which pretty much knocks out most breakfast foods. We mostly eat safe cereal in almond milk. If we're getting fancy oatmeal in the Instant Pot. On the weekends we might do pancakes, but we're still trying to find a recipe that we'll all eat.

Egg, dairy & gluten-free pancakes | BBC Good Food (http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2920662/egg-dairy-and-glutenfree-pancakes)
I just looked at the reviews for this. Someone said to add sweetener like vanilla. Someone else said they are good with nutella (is that dairy-free?).
Buckwheat is also a good alternative for flour. And, applesauce is sometimes a good binder instead of eggs. Best luck in cooking to you. I know food restrictions can feel tough sometimes.

Luv2HS
01-26-2017, 06:41 AM
We take our food seriously - no pre-packaged, processed food would do. I do not mind cooking a little bit for breakfast:
- fried eggs, scrambled eggs, omelets, eggs benedicts, egg muffins (from our own chickens) - 3-4 times a week;
- bacon, sausages (I custom make them from a pig we buy from a farm every year)- 2-3 times a week;
- I have a recipe for ricotta cheese/whole grain waffles that everybody loves - 1-2 times a week;
- I often make sauteed vegetables (tomatoes, mushrooms, asparagus, green beans, whatever else is in the refrigerator) to go with eggs or meats;
- pancakes. First, we have savory ones, and then I add chocolate chips in the last batch so that everyone can finish with one choc. chip pancake - 1-2 times a week;
- oatmeal - our laziest breakfast - 1-2 times a week;
- fresh berries, apples, grapes, citrus fruits to finish off - every day.

I know, I know - we are a crazy high-maintenance mixture of foodies and nutritional Nazis, but I would not have it otherwise :D

I dig the term "nutritional Nazis" lol. I was like this for both kids until they were each 3yo. People thought I was certifiable :_laugh:

crunchynerd
01-26-2017, 07:00 PM
We usually either have Cabbage Breakfast (shredded cabbage with some leftover thin-sliced chicken or else freshly cooked crumbled ground turkey, braised under a lid with salt and pepper) or else Oven-scrambled Eggs or Frittata (for frittata, I just add frozen broccoli and sometimes fresh sliced mushrooms and green onions, to the oven-scrambled eggs, and it's really good) and Muffins.

The muffins are an innovation: I figured out how to use peanut butter in place of flour, and can now make blueberry muffins, gingerbread muffins, chocolate muffins, or even savory garlic-and-green-onion muffins, without any flour whatsoever, and they come out great...in fact, with the exact same bread-like (or cake-like) texture of things made with flour! I was amazed when I first discovered this.

It also works for cookies by altering the formula. I have made peanut butter cookies, chocolate chip cookies, and brownies (both fudgy type and cakey type, with shiny crackly surface!) this way.

Wish I had some fame or a degree in something, so I could write a cookbook with all this. I have the Taylor tare-function electronic cooking scale, so I can develop recipes easily, with exact amounts in grams or ounces. But I'm nobody.

Anyway, breakfast at our house is a bit of a production.

aselvarial
01-26-2017, 08:07 PM
can you share the peanut butter in place of flour trick? I have a sister in law with crohns and one with celiac, so alternative ways of cooking are important in DH's family

alexsmom
01-27-2017, 10:28 PM
Alright, so maybe I am slacking a bit. I do love the idea of making stuff in advance and freezing it, then cooking.

Im not up for cooking three meals a day, but mass-producing a breakfast item would work fine. Id probably use the toaster oven to reheat though... on convection setting, pretty much everything takes no more than 20 mins. :p

And I have no waffle iron. :( Cant see buying one right now, though. Maybe I will start a campaign to garage sale hunt for one. :)

Mariam
01-27-2017, 11:14 PM
For DS we make our own waffles. We usually make a quadruple batch, so we have about 60-80 waffles and we freeze them. Then we can just pop one in the toaster in the morning. He will sometimes eat cereal, but he doesn't like milk in it, so it is just snack food.

For myself and DH, during the winter we will make some oatmeal over the weekend and then I can reheat it over the week. My favorite is with dried cranberries and pecans. I also like to make breakfast burritos with eggs, cheese and leftover beans. I am the only one who likes the burritos though, so I don't mass produce them. We will sometimes make quick bread as muffins and then I can heat them in the microwave when I want one. We have done this with cranberry nut bread, as well as lemon or banana bread. They reheat well. We were bake happy over winter break, so I have a freezer full of quick-bread muffins.

Though I will frequently skip breakfast and just have tea to get me through the morning.

TFZ
02-04-2017, 07:48 AM
Mine get yogurt, a piece of fruit, and either fruity oatmeal or a pancake concoction every morning.

Seriously AM you know I don't cook at all. However, I have been making a whole box of pancakes about every other weekend and freezing them. It feeds them one meal and then fills up 2 freezer bags - 48ish pancakes. I'm going to try it with my own flour when my BOGO pancake mix runs out. It's been great. I either throw it in the microwave, cut, and top with margarine and syrup or pop two in the toaster and make a PB or cream cheese sandwich out of it. They're a little stiffer in the toaster. It all started when they started blowing through the big box of waffles every week - which run about $0.40 a waffle for us. The pancakes with mix have been closer to $0.05 per. I booked myself a real live, grown up vacation, so I've been looking for every way to save, lol. A conference for planners. It's going to be epic ;)

alexsmom
02-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Oooh I missed you TFZ!

A planner conference!? Is it in Vegas? :p

For when you get on to making pancakes, I found this recipe that doesnt involve buttermilk...
http://www.rachaelraymag.com/recipe/strawberry-pancakes

It calls for strawberries, but Ive also made it with frozen blueberries and plain... strawberry came from Daniel Tiger.
I get you on the cost thing, too.

Quickbread goes like hotcakes in our house... a batch making two loaves lasts two daya... if I dont make it until after breakfast on the first day. Pumpkin I make from a can, but the lemon I admit comes from a box. We splurge on the fancier box that purports to be less artificial, and it still costs less than one slice from Starbucks.

LAR
02-04-2017, 09:08 PM
Topsy, I'm hooked! Delicious. Your peanut butter, overnight oats is absolutely incredible. We tried it with steel cut and regular old fashioned oats and both were incredible. I like the texture of the steel cut a bit more. Thanks so much for sharing!

TFZ
02-05-2017, 08:18 PM
Aw I miss you too, AM! I joined a declutter group in January that had me cleaning out my whole damn house - as well as trying some new organizational stuff like the pancakes, which has been working out really well. The group was a lot of challenges and posting everything on FB so I have basically been doing that since the holidays. I should have more free time to talk homeschool now that that's over. Haha. Thanks for the recipe. I'll check it out :)

ETA: Oh the conference is in Nashville! I'm so excited. 500 tickets and it sold out in 5 minutes. Pays to be prompt!!! https://www.wildforplanners.com/p/go-wild-planners-conference

alexsmom
02-05-2017, 11:29 PM
I was inspired by Aselvarials muffin-fritattas too... made this
Breakfast Muffin Frittatas Recipe - Food.com (http://www.food.com/recipe/breakfast-muffin-frittatas-495726)
subbing out the can o chilis and not using fat free cheese (what is that anyways?). Tasted great fresh.... if it reheats well from frozen, its going to be my Jimmy Dean replacement. :p

And simple enough even TFZ could make it!

Im going to try making them larger, too... I hope they will cook all the way through without overcooking the outside.

Imma try more fruit and yogurt on the kids... thats about my morning speed.

@TFZ fun Nashville! And fun decluttering! Do you go to each others houses and declutter a room? Do you have declutter room of the week themes?

aselvarial
02-06-2017, 01:10 AM
AM, we bought a countertop grill that has interchangeable plates. It has grill plates, griddle plates, and we bought the waffle plates. Not cheap (i think all told it was $75 or so), but we use it 4-5 times a week so soooooooo worth the cost. Also, those look a LOT like the ones I make! YUM!

alexsmom
02-06-2017, 09:36 AM
I seem to remember looking at those a while back, but now all I see on Amazon is this Black & Decker...
https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-G48TD-Waffle-Griddle/dp/B000063XH7/ref=sr_1_13?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1486391173&sr=1-13&keywords=waffle+maker

I seem to remember one that had panini plates too, I was thinking would be great for making grilled cheese sandwiches for my menfolk.

What brand is yours?

TFZ
02-10-2017, 09:08 AM
Lol, no decluttering each other's houses! It was just an online group - the group leader would post a weekly habit each week, daily challenges, and surprise check-ins. Then we'd all post a pic of our progress. It was fun. Well, as fun as cleaning can be.

I gotta try those egg muffins. I keep telling myself that I will, and I never have. I didn't make the pancakes this week, and breakfast was a pita all week long. One doesn't like oatmeal. The other doesn't like toast. But I want the pink plate. No it's MY turn with the pink plate. 8am blah. Lol. I'll have to make them this week. Get ahead of the game.

alexsmom
02-10-2017, 09:41 AM
The egg muffin frittatas were pretty easy to make, and my boys found them irresistable. (Prolly from too much sausage grease). Cook ground sausage, put in bowl. Cook veggies, put in bowl. Add a dozen eggs and cheese, stir (salt pepper spices too). Bake. Try cooling sufficient quantity that kids and you havent lost appetite for the upcoming meal with hubby. Freeze. Microwave. (Aservarial ovens them.) Eat. Dont be hungry til mid afternoon.
These have helped cure my late morning grumpy rage of hunger. Usually coming back from therapy, Id turn into this grumpy snarling monster until I had some food. Not like I was in danger of wasting away to nothing or anything, and its too early for lunch.

Anyways, Im better off after this poll. :) My family's breakfast habits arent totally far from other homeschoolers, and with the addition of fruit or yogurt, the boys are taken care of. And the egg muffins. :)

muddylilly
02-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Whaaa? I get buried in my duties and you guys have the BEST. POLL. EVER?!?!?! I Loooove talking about making breakfast and Sammiches for the Men folk!! :) LOL!

TFZ
02-16-2017, 08:55 PM
Lol ML

muddylilly
02-17-2017, 12:46 AM
TFZ!!! My favorite daffodil sniffing fox!! :)