PDA

View Full Version : If You Could

NotYourName
01-16-2017, 08:26 AM
I read about something "new to me" regarding homeschooling and curriculum all the time. (MiniLuk was my latest discovery.) It got me thinking...

If money was no object, what would you add,incorporate, purchase, etc.

alexsmom
01-16-2017, 09:51 AM
I think Id add a housekeeper and do more educational travelling. Itd be more along how I spend my time than what I would buy.

Since Im with a charter, money really isnt a consideration when deciding on curriculum... and even so, having access to any curriculum I want, Im content with using what works, and doesnt annoy me or DS. Some things I really like - like Bravewriter - feel overpriced.
Maybe its like... if you won the lottery, would you buy a pretentious house and the most expensive cars that you like... or would you keep on with what is working for you?

inmom
01-16-2017, 10:15 AM
I agree with Alexsmom that I would have traveled more with the kids. We typically did one National Park-ish or city (NYC, Toronto, San Fran) trip a year, but we also would have done international if we had the $$$.

Coming at this as a parent of graduated homeschoolers, I would have also done more dual credit. I know in some states it is free or downright minimal for homeschoolers. But here, we got one class per semester half price (usually $300-450) and any extra was full tuition.

Carmaline
01-16-2017, 10:15 AM
I would add Visualize World Geography. It's over $200 and that's a lot to pay right now after Christmas. I would possibly delve into Blue Pearl Academy. If money were no object, I would possibly send my daughter to a school specifically for dyslexia in our area that runs $12,000 a year.

NotYourName
01-16-2017, 10:45 AM
I agree. We never buck with what is working.

We also go through a charter, so curriculum cost isn't an issue for us. I would probably put more towards educational traveling as well. Just imagine all the museums! Historical landmarks!

NotYourName
01-16-2017, 10:46 AM
I'm making a note of that for the future! Mine are only 6 and 2, so that is a ways off! But I always like to prepare ahead!

Mariam
01-16-2017, 11:40 AM
I don't think it is money that hinders homeschooling, it is the thinking about the need for expensive curriculums. I would have not done formal schooling so early. I would have never purchased many of the expensive math curriculums that I tried out.

I plan on taking that money and pouring it into travel. Social justice and cultural understanding is a pretty important value for us, so travel is a way to cover cultural understanding in a meaningful way.

Oksana
01-16-2017, 02:13 PM
Yes, I am all for more educational travel and more enriching experiences in general. Using this curriculum or that does not change much in a big scheme of things.

Riceball_Mommy
01-16-2017, 04:41 PM
I'd probably do a membership to the zoo, and try out some of the more expensive science curricula that comes with all the extra bits. That way if they didn't work out it wouldn't be a huge loss.

Topsy
01-16-2017, 09:14 PM
I definitely would have purchased an RV and done at least a year-long stint of roadschooling.

farrarwilliams
01-16-2017, 11:56 PM
I'm sure this shows my privilege, but there is no curriculum or equipment that I actually think we really need that if money was no object I would need to get. Sure, I might splurge on a few things... MEL Chemistry anyone? But mostly we'd still be doing Brave Writer, still be chugging through Jacob's Algebra, etc.

If anything, not having unlimited funds has probably saved me from making some bad curriculum mistakes a few times because it made me research and be careful about buying.

I would travel more though. And summer programs. I wouldn't have said no to Interlochen for the summer, which ds desperately wanted to try and do. We'd already have paid for the performing arts camp he'll probably do instead and for the much more convenient 4 week session instead of the 3 week one. I'd have let other ds do summer festival auditions for places other than his studio. We'd definitely go abroad every year instead of once every few years.

Luv2HS
01-17-2017, 03:45 AM
I definitely would have purchased an RV and done at least a year-long stint of roadschooling.

Yes! I have a df that did this with her 2 kids. The dad joined at different points when work allowed it. They hit every state except Alaska. Prior to taking off they worked together on the itinerary--some places they hit for NP's, others for museums, and others specifically for some kind of eatery.

aselvarial
01-17-2017, 05:26 PM
I'd do the RV and travel thing. RV because then everyone gets in the same bad at night (tech does HORRIBLE in hotels). As far as curriculum, we don't really use one. And books and other educational stuff pop go on sale ALL the time. Most of the camps for Tech's age right now near us are mostly religious. BUT, I would love to enroll him in a robotics camp.

TFZ
01-18-2017, 08:09 AM
Travel yes - to places where we could experience different cultures in and out of the US as well as roadtripping in a tricked out RV made for Glamping. I would love to sign the kids up for music classes (lessons later), art, be able to travel to nearby museums more often, see concerts - right now kid's orchestra performances and ballet stuff like that, cleaning person def. It would probably also be beneficial for everyone to have a break from each other every so often with a night out with a babysitter and a separate vaca for mom and dad. Not directly homeschool related but would impact the dynamic.

Marmalade
01-20-2017, 07:02 PM

This!!!

crazyme
01-21-2017, 02:53 AM
Money is a huge issue for us--you bet I would love to not have to settle or make do when current reality is that I have to hem and haw over a$20 book and a $75 (on sale) product is a huge splurge.

At the top of the list would be formal assessment of youngest for LDs, more travel and music lessons.

Bham Gal
04-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Constant travel around the world.