PDA

View Full Version : Looking for "Christian but Secular" members!

Topsy
12-10-2010, 02:06 PM
You know who you are!! You might even be afraid to admit it on a secular site like this one, for fear of backlash or flaming. (no worries...most of us have snuffed out our flamethrowers around here) ;) But I totally understand the idea of having faith but not necessarily needing it to apply to the homechooling arena.

I'm planning on writing an article about those who consider themselves Christian, but prefer to use secular homeschooling materials. I'd love to do a quick email interview of you, if you would be willing. You can stay COMPLETELY anonymous if you choose. And I promise it would be quick and painless...no more than four or five questions to answer.

To participate, just PM me (Topsy) or email me ([email protected]) with the subject line: Christian but Secular, and I will send you out an easy survey to fill out. Thanks in advance for your help!! :)

StartingOver
12-10-2010, 02:28 PM
I would really hope that anyone here wouldn't fear backlash, for any reason. Everyone is pretty helpful, and I haven't seen any negativity at all. I know I wouldn't be here long if the group started that crud, it is one of the many reasons I don't spend much time on other boards !!

farrarwilliams
12-10-2010, 02:51 PM
I think there are a number of people who have seen how... aggressive the atheist community has been becoming over the last few years and might be afraid to stir the pot so to speak. But I agree, Jana, this forum is pretty nice to all religious views. :)

Wilma
12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Well, I think anyone who has read my posts over time knows that I fall into that camp, and I am not afraid to say it here. I'm not afraid of a bunch of homeschooling moms and dad! I've never been flamed, although I'm sure some people wonder what I am doing here. (it's nice and peaceful and helpful) Topsy, feel free to get in touch with me. I'll pm you also.

Berta
12-10-2010, 09:12 PM
I am Christian (SShhhh....I am actually an Ordained Minister for the last 18 yrs) and up until a few months ago I was using mostly secular curriculum with my youngest daughter. I joined the secular groups (this one and one for my state) because I am NOT a denim skirt wearing, bun headed, "my" religion is right homeschooler. I really do not get along well with those type of moms and found myself butting heads more often than I cared. I was blacklisted at my local homeschool group because as a Minister I perform gay Civil Union ceremonies. I also refused to sign a statement of faith, because even if I do believe it, I don't feel I need to sign something to prove my faith to anyone.

That said, my children are taught about both creation and evolution. I have a few scientists in my family and although I do believe in God and Jesus, I also believe in evolution. I know, its contradictory. I chose a secular science curriculum for my younger daughter because I want her to learn about earth, Darwin etc... I really do not believe in the "young earth" theory and I don't think for one second that Adam and Eve played with dinosaurs.

I just purchased my younger daughters curriculum for next year and they are all from the same religious company. I did this because I like the WAY the subjects are taught. We went through two different secular math programs before finding this new one, and I am really impressed with the progress my daughter is making. I also like that it represents traditional family roles that mirror our family life. I will still teach her about evolution, but it will be her choice what she decides to believe.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but if so you are welcome to ask more questions.

Topsy
12-10-2010, 09:15 PM
I would really hope that anyone here wouldn't fear backlash, for any reason. Everyone is pretty helpful, and I haven't seen any negativity at all. I know I wouldn't be here long if the group started that crud, it is one of the many reasons I don't spend much time on other boards !!

I was JUST bragging about the site to a friend today for that very reason. It's the least flame-y community I've ever been privileged to be a part of. LOVE you group of folks!!!! :)

Domestic_Engineer
12-11-2010, 10:45 AM
I qualify! I'm new here. Just joined last night. Feel free to ask me anything you want. So excited to hang out here!

StartingOver
12-11-2010, 11:28 AM
I am Christian (SShhhh....I am actually an Ordained Minister for the last 18 yrs) and up until a few months ago I was using mostly secular curriculum with my youngest daughter. I joined the secular groups (this one and one for my state) because I am NOT a denim skirt wearing, bun headed, "my" religion is right homeschooler. I really do not get along well with those type of moms and found myself butting heads more often than I cared. I was blacklisted at my local homeschool group because as a Minister I perform gay Civil Union ceremonies. I also refused to sign a statement of faith, because even if I do believe it, I don't feel I need to sign something to prove my faith to anyone.

That said, my children are taught about both creation and evolution. I have a few scientists in my family and although I do believe in God and Jesus, I also believe in evolution. I know, its contradictory. I chose a secular science curriculum for my younger daughter because I want her to learn about earth, Darwin etc... I really do not believe in the "young earth" theory and I don't think for one second that Adam and Eve played with dinosaurs.

I just purchased my younger daughters curriculum for next year and they are all from the same religious company. I did this because I like the WAY the subjects are taught. We went through two different secular math programs before finding this new one, and I am really impressed with the progress my daughter is making. I also like that it represents traditional family roles that mirror our family life. I will still teach her about evolution, but it will be her choice what she decides to believe.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for, but if so you are welcome to ask more questions.

I love it !!!! My best friend is a Chaplain at a local homeless shelter here. He sounds a ton like you. And love me, even if I am a non believer ! He calls me his Heathen Buddy LOL.

StartingOver
12-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I was JUST bragging about the site to a friend today for that very reason. It's the least flame-y community I've ever been privileged to be a part of. LOVE you group of folks!!!! :)
I think most of us have felt uncomfortable in other groups both online and in real life. I know I have, so when I came here I decided to act as I always do.

Extending Grace. Tolerance of Others. And Helping All I Can !

wild_destiny
12-11-2010, 12:57 PM
The tolerance and respectfulness on this site really is impressive. Probably the only religious view NOT found on here is the "my religion and ONLY my religion is right and equally right for everyone". That really seems to be the only group not found (thankfully). I love that people can make light-hearted religious jokes without stepping on toes or offending others, because generally most of the people on here are just trying to be decent, kind people regardless of their personal beliefs.

elkhollow
12-12-2010, 10:48 PM
Yes, yes! I have even recommended this site to Christian friends of mine who fall into this category (Christian but using secular materials and not really fitting in with the my religion is the only true religion camp). I have pretty much stopped going to any other sites because I just don't have time for all the petty sniping. Here I have found advice, support, and even friendship. Just thought I'd add that. I can't participate in your survey, though, Topsy, since I have officially withdrawn from the Christian category and am now proudly an "Other." LOL

mommykicksbutt
12-13-2010, 12:04 PM
The tolerance and respectfulness on this site really is impressive. Probably the only religious view NOT found on here is the "my religion and ONLY my religion is right and equally right for everyone". That really seems to be the only group not found (thankfully). I love that people can make light-hearted religious jokes without stepping on toes or offending others, because generally most of the people on here are just trying to be decent, kind people regardless of their personal beliefs.

WHAT!?! Not everyone here believes in the Flying Spaghetti Monster in all his/her noodlely goodness?!!! I thought we all got our revelations via his/her tasty holy meatballs. Gee, I thought this was what was right and equally right for everyone here! Dang. All should repent with the pastafarian ritual... taste his saucy goodness by consuming a big bowl of ziti with tomato sauce! Lettuce spray... RaMen.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. I love this sight, it's so non-judgemental of all believe systems and non believers. We all have a common connection, our kids and their education without someone else's "world view" infiltrating into the curriculum. Just give us the facts and let us decide on the fiction (aka, the world is only 6,000 y.o.).

Domestic_Engineer
12-13-2010, 12:16 PM
Can't say I really fit in the Christian category either anymore, depends on your definition. I really don't want to be anything like them if it involves judgement and such. We haven't gone to an institutional church since my older boys were 5 and 4, they're 16 and 15 now. We have done Home Church all this time. Which, if you talk with any Christian, is a sin. I have been told many times i should come back to church and stop playing around. Okay, here goes confession time! I used to wear dresses all the time, had really long hair (which I braided and kept up all the time), we had a vasectomy fixed so we could have more children, I was the perfect, obedient wife with perfect obedient children. One day I woke up! Now, I wear pants all the time (as tight as I can stand cause my husband thinks I'm hot), we had another vasectomy(five was enough, time to just enjoy them), I still have long hair (cause my husband thinks I'm hot)and I dye it now and wear it down. I'm still the perfect wife (just ask my husband) but only cause I absolutely adore my husband (not cause it's a command from anyone), my children; they're children and I like them like that! My boys call me their free thinking, hippie mom! That makes me laugh! I could go on and on cause there is so much in my heart these days!!! So much joy, so much peace, so much freedom.

Wilma
12-13-2010, 12:46 PM
Can't say I really fit in the Christian category either anymore, depends on your definition. I really don't want to be anything like them if it involves judgement and such. We haven't gone to an institutional church since my older boys were 5 and 4, they're 16 and 15 now. We have done Home Church all this time. Which, if you talk with any Christian, is a sin. I have been told many times i should come back to church and stop playing around. Okay, here goes confession time! I used to wear dresses all the time, had really long hair (which I braided and kept up all the time), we had a vasectomy fixed so we could have more children, I was the perfect, obedient wife with perfect obedient children. One day I woke up! Now, I wear pants all the time (as tight as I can stand cause my husband thinks I'm hot), we had another vasectomy(five was enough, time to just enjoy them), I still have long hair (cause my husband thinks I'm hot)and I dye it now and wear it down. I'm still the perfect wife (just ask my husband) but only cause I absolutely adore my husband (not cause it's a command from anyone), my children; they're children and I like them like that! My boys call me their free thinking, hippie mom! That makes me laugh! I could go on and on cause there is so much in my heart these days!!! So much joy, so much peace, so much freedom.

Oh dear. You definitely were in the legalistic Christianity! Although I know plenty of non-legalistic Christians who home church because they are tired of the BS in churches. Welcome to the darkside! There are plenty of Christians like you and me out there. I promise. And many of them homeschool. They are just timid about coming out.

wild_destiny
12-13-2010, 03:22 PM
Mommykicksbutt--you always crack me up! Count me in on your pastafarian ritual! ;)

And Jodi--what a beautiful bunch of sentiments! Way to go, You! Your husband is a lucky man. :)

Topsy
12-16-2010, 09:43 PM
I want to thank each of you who helped me out with the "Christian but Secular" survey. I really enjoyed reading your responses and am looking forwarding to shaping an article out of what I've learned. You guys/gals are terrific!! Keep an eye out for the upcoming article next week!

AprilKatz
12-21-2010, 01:08 PM
I've been following you on Facebook, and just registered on the website today. We are Lutherans/Episcopalians, and I buy mostly secular curriculum.

As for the evolution/creation thing .. our explanation is "Scientists discovered the pattern God used for creation (which they call evolution), but they didn't give Him credit, and a lot of people are really hacked off about that." I don't believe in the young earth theory. The things that happened in the "six days" and the different "eras" pretty much match up ... and geez .. what is the problem?

Great article, btw!