PDA

View Full Version : Spritz cookie help!

alexsmom
12-13-2016, 04:09 PM
I bought the OXO cookie press over the weekend as a present for myself, and today I tried it out with the "oxo kitchen tested" recipe.

DS4 was supervising as I was attempting to make pinterest perfect xmas tree cookies... and his comment "its only a bush, mommy" pretty much sums up the result.

Are there special, fool proof recipes out there? Is there a certain side of the disk to face out? Is there a perfect temperature of dough, press, and cookie sheet?

Any help is appreciated!

dbsam
12-13-2016, 06:21 PM
I haven't made them in years, but I always chilled the dough and kept it in the fridge between batches.
I also chill the baking sheet. It may not be necessary but it seems like a warm sheet causes the cookies to spread out a bit.

I have two presses...and one was useless so it could be the press. Neither of mine were Oxo brand.

aselvarial
12-13-2016, 11:43 PM
Chill the dough. It's much harder to push the dough through, so you CAN chill it after they are pressed out and before they cook. I've done both and while pre-chilled was a little clearer, it was much more of a pain to push the dough through so I usually just chill afterwards.

In general, if you don't want cookies to spread, chill the dough.