PDA

View Full Version : The perfect saucepan?

alexsmom
11-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Our kitchen is in dire need of a new one, and the options out there (on amazon, for example) are overwhelming.

I need a non-stick, dishwasher safe, non-scratchable 2quart pan. I hate when the edges are super hot and scorch the outside of the sauce, and the inside is uncooked.
I want something I can use a metal whisk in, without worrying about scratching it.
A few years ago I bought a Calphalon 1.5qt stainless steel saucepan because I love my similar skillet, but there is no love with this pan.

Has anyone tried the ceramic pots and pans? Any with nonstick surfaces that dont offgas or scratch off?

I need help, my old cheapie Revereware that was DHs before we met is on its last leg, all bent out of shape and lid doesnt fit on it anymore.

TIA!

NZ_Mama
11-25-2016, 03:41 PM
Not dishwasher safe, but we use all cast iron now, apart from a couple of stainless steel pots for cooking things like pasta. I would not go back to using non-stick coated pans as I just love our cast iron. Never scratches. Once you have it well seasoned, nothing sticks (not even egg), and its easy to clean with just a rinse off under water and then make sure you dry it out properly (we put ours on a hot element for a little while or in the oven if it has been on and is still warm). Since ours have been well seasoned, we only need to bother putting oil or something in after cleaning (to keep up the seasoning) if we have cooked something tomato based, which seems to take the seasoning off a bit.

crunchynerd
11-25-2016, 07:57 PM
I am also a lover of cast iron although mine are all antique, and thus might be trickier to keep seasoned than the new ones (anyone here have experience with both? Can you recommend?) because of being worn too smooth , from what I read. Nothing heats as evenly as cast iron, and it is the best nonstick EXCEPT when the seasoning isn't healthy, then watch out. One thing you can't do with cast iron is deglaze a pan. That takes the seasoning off in a few short sessions. I have a large stainless deep frypan I keep around only because it's my only one that large, but I hate how it burns in the middle and is raw around the edges. Just doesn't distribute heat evenly. But I can deglaze it.

Following this in case anyone knows of a solution to wanting even heating, large surface area, plus deglazing ability (Without hurting seasoning as it does with cast iron). Or, if you can deglaze in modern cast iron, tell me... I will go get some as soon as I can.

alexsmom
11-25-2016, 08:47 PM
@crunchy - My stainless 12" calaphon skillet (#1382) is my go-to for most dinner/meat cooking. And deglazing. I love its glass lid, its dishwasherability, and how I can put it (with lid) in the oven too.
I think this is it:
http://m.jcpenney.com/calphalon-tri-ply-12-stainless-steel-everyday-pan/prod.jump

However, its the same 3-ply saucepan (model 142) which I hate for its unevenness.

@NZMama - Dishwasher is a big thing for me, it may be the main reason my cast iron skillet isnt my go-to. Cast iron saved me yesterday, after a disasterous cooking attempt involving frozen bacon and the above-mentioned Caphalon.
Is your cast iron enamel-clad?

TFZ
11-26-2016, 08:01 AM
I had a ceramic pot that was neither non-stick nor non-scratch even though it claimed to be. With my limited experience in the kitchen, I thought it was my fault, but I don't think so anymore. I have a set of Rachel Ray pots and pans now and I love them. They are non-stick and whisk safe. The only time I ever burn stuff is when I have to bring the milk to a boil when making mac and cheese. Like, one second it's not even bubbling then the next second it's burned and spilling out. GAH! Anyway, I'd recommend those. I got them last year the day after Christmas on Amazon for between 50% and 70% off. This (https://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-14-Piece-Nonstick-Cookware/dp/B00URO56D0/ref=as_li_ss_tl?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1480165170&sr=1-2&keywords=rachel+ray+pots+and+pans+set&linkCode=ll1&tag=some0de-20&linkId=35cf451497903959a9e5a6d67ee95bbc)is the set I got, but in green. We can be cooking twins.

Oh and I never hand wash anything unless the dishwasher is broken. Which is more than I'd like to remember right now. But these hold up well in there, too.

alexsmom
11-26-2016, 10:22 AM
Hmmmm I see the green, its pretty! I would probably go for blue, though. We would be cooking sisters, boiling or frying our eggs in similar but different colored pots. ;)

I see there is a reasonably priced sauce-pan / steamer....
https://www.amazon.com/Rachael-Ray-17647-Nonstick-Gradient/dp/B01DTF0V1U/ref=pd_sim_79_1?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=D9297GMY1DD2VRX8ATSW

Maybe I will try it, and if I like it, can get the whole set at the end of December.
There is controversy over whether those pots are dishwasher safe or not, though. Imma goe with Some Random Lady's opinion though, and disregard the manufacturer guidelines.
(I also wash all my clothes together, ignoring all care instructions and sorting wisdom from the elders.)
(When I got my cast iron, I decided it looked sturdy enough to survive the dishwasher. Well. Ill just say it gets hand washed now... but nothing sticks to it, so its easy peasy.)

TFZ
11-26-2016, 01:12 PM
Lol I also wash all of our clothes together and messed my cast iron up in the dish. I am the worst cooking sister you could ask for. Unless you are looking for someone to make you look good lololol

dragonfly
11-26-2016, 01:23 PM
If I could afford it, I'd get a set of Le Creuset, like this saucepan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXSJTGI/ref=psdc_289827_t1_B01AH1ZIOE?th=1

My mom had a set, and I don't remember any sticking issues, but it was a long time ago. Based on the reviews, people seem to like them.

They are expensive, though.

alexsmom
11-26-2016, 01:48 PM
If I could afford it, I'd get a set of Le Creuset, like this saucepan: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXSJTGI/ref=psdc_289827_t1_B01AH1ZIOE?th=1

My mom had a set, and I don't remember any sticking issues, but it was a long time ago. Based on the reviews, people seem to like them.

They are expensive, though.

They look darling, and there is even a Le Creuset outlet locally. But $200 for the saucepan alone is way out of my budget, even for something I would use daily.
I was looking at the Tramontina saucepan, the same idea as LeCreuset, but only $50, and made in China out of dubious materials and mixed reviews. Do I trust an enamel glaze to be lead and heavy metal free, if it comes from there?
https://www.amazon.com/Tramontina-Enameled-Covered-2-5-Quart-Gradated/dp/B009HBJV44/ref=pd_bxgy_79_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=NK8NY6SRBJWDH49N94SF

The RR stuff with spray on coating was done in Thailand, are they any better than China, or just smaller scale so incidents of industrial lying dont have quite the reputation as they do in China? (Is the non-stick coating applied in "less regulated" countries to avoid US environmental and health laws?)

And then is the spray-on nonstick paranoia the same as the no-plastics paranoia, and the no-China paranoia?

I just want to be able to make cheese sauces without it burning or sticking to the pot.

NZ_Mama
11-26-2016, 06:41 PM
We have cheap (in USA, thankfully we bought there and shipped back to to NZ, its 4 to 5 times the price here!) Lodge non-enameled and love it. I do all other dishes in the dishwasher but don't mind washing up the cast iron, perhaps because it does not need a whole elaborate sink of water and washing liquid, I just give it a quick go with the dish brush under a running tap. My only 'issue' with the large pieces we have is that they are too heavy for me to hold in one hand, which means DH has to wash them (so not that much of an issue for me in the end!).

NZ_Mama
11-26-2016, 06:59 PM
The RR stuff with spray on coating was done in Thailand, are they any better than China, or just smaller scale so incidents of industrial lying dont have quite the reputation as they do in China? (Is the non-stick coating applied in "less regulated" countries to avoid US environmental and health laws?)

And then is the spray-on nonstick paranoia the same as the no-plastics paranoia, and the no-China paranoia?

I just want to be able to make cheese sauces without it burning or sticking to the pot.

There are always lots of things to consider, and it makes buying difficult, but its great that you think about it. Beyond the what is in the enamel, enameling is a pretty horrible process for the environment.

Teflon and other non-stick coatings are bad for your health if you end up eating bits of them or inhaling stuff from them, but you can use them safely. Pretty much like most chemicals, use it safely and its ok. Just make sure you replace anything if the coating gets scratched or starts or flake, and don't leave a pan heating with nothing in it because then you will heat the coating not oil or food and it could cause something to volatilize from the coating or damage it and cause it to flake.

Yes environmental regulations in all of Asia are pretty lax compared to elsewhere. Although China is aiming to get better, and scientists there are working hard on manufacturing and environmental issues. However, you guys could have similar issues down the track with Trump wanting to bring all the manufacturing back to the USA and at the same time get rid of or drastically change any regulation (EPA and climate agreements).

farrarwilliams
11-29-2016, 11:17 PM
I love my Tramontina. I wouldn't spring for the good stuff (aka the All Clad) and this was rated close behind. It's mainly sold at Wal-Mart, but don't let that discourage you. It's really good. Heats very evenly.

I don't believe in "non-stick" - that stuff is always bad. And you can't use metal in it.

alexsmom
11-30-2016, 11:13 AM
Farrar, do you put your Tramontina in the dishwasher? I asked on Amazon, only response was that I should see hand washing as a form of exercize.

Fear of scratching the surface of a "non-stick" is a big consideration for me. My serving spoons are metal, itd be nice to not be paranoid that Im going to ruin the pot by scooping food out a little too vigorously. (And Im in a house full of non-cooking boys.)
I have a rubber / silicone / synthetic-mystery-material whisk, but whisking really seems to be more effective with the metal ones.

farrarwilliams
11-30-2016, 07:21 PM
No. I don't. I'm thinking it would be fine for the cooking surface but that it would tarnish the exterior.

If that's really the most important element to you, I'm thinking enameled cast iron is the way to go. You can totally put that stuff in the dishwasher. And it doesn't scratch too easily, though it can scratch. But if it does - it's not unsafe the way nonstick surfaces can become.

muddylilly
12-01-2016, 02:13 PM
Have you looked at Bialetti? https://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Ceramic-Anodized-Nonstick-Cookware/dp/B016MFS102 I have some of their stuff....a few fry pans.....I use it A LOT, for over a year now and I'm not gentle! I use metal utensils occasionally too. No scratches!

I do love my cast iron, but they are heavy, and not great for things with acid....think tomato.

I use a little spray, occasionally a fried egg might stick a little, but I don't think "non-stick" is actually always a sure fire name. Omelettes are easy and scrambled eggs are great in this pan! Everything always washes out easily.

Thinking about buying more to add to my set. DH killed my smallest saucepan (farberware, almost burned the house down!) and now I need to replace.

Pretty too. :)