PDA

View Full Version : Candy Savers or Binge eaters?

alexsmom
10-31-2016, 01:47 PM
Do your kids spend a couple days gorging on their halloween / easter loot, or moderate themselves over time?
Do you think it mirrors part of their personality about saving or immediate gratification?

Im just being nosy!

muddylilly
10-31-2016, 02:12 PM
Hoarders here! I don't know where they get that personality trait though..*shrug*....DH and I are definitely bingers when it comes to candy :) We are hoarders when it comes to other, more adult, resources....like money....hmmmm

I think they are hiding their candy from us! LOL!!!

There must be some ridiculous study out there that links such things to personality...

Good poll!

Mariam
10-31-2016, 03:07 PM
In general it is binge and we are over it. DS is so picky about his candy, we sort out what he doesn't like. DH and I will take a couple of things, if there is anything we like and the rest goes out the door. I usually take the rest to school for the college students. I put in a couple of public places and it is gone within a few days.

fastweedpuller
10-31-2016, 03:32 PM
Bingers, but like in ML's family...it's the parents. The kid will eat it until it's gone but self-regluates pretty well, like over a month or more.

But because the kid complains about us stealing her candy, the hubs bought a stash just for us, or rather, to keep the kid appeased when we eat all of hers.

RTB
10-31-2016, 06:55 PM
Mine binge eat it.

Riceball_Mommy
10-31-2016, 08:38 PM
We have candy in the house often so Halloween will just cover us until the Christmas candy starts or until I have to throw it out because it's getting old.

aselvarial
10-31-2016, 09:26 PM
We've thrown out candy every year because Tech forgets about it. We do limit him to a little bit at a time, but mostly, he winds up limiting himself.

farrarwilliams
10-31-2016, 11:11 PM
Minor binge for a few days. hoard for another couple of weeks after. I encourage the binge, but not too much.

They think trading is the best part.

crazyme
11-01-2016, 12:45 AM
I still have candy from last Halloween. They binge for a few days, then I help them regulate themselves, then they forget.

SusanC
11-01-2016, 04:55 PM
They hoard, I binge = ugly combination. I had them count out their 20 favorite pieces., I kept a few and am pitching the rest. In week or two I will start pressuring them to finish it off. For me, this is really the beginning of the holiday unhealthy eating time.

Mariam
11-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Has anyone ever tried this with their extra candy?

Halloween Candy for Heroes! — A Great Use of Your Extra Halloween Candy
Halloween Candy for Heroes - A Great Use of Your Extra Halloween Candy (http://www.bradaronson.com/donate-halloween-candy/)

alwayssmile
11-02-2016, 01:27 AM
We let ours pig out on candy last night after they were done. None of them asked for a single piece today!

Confession: I actually go through their candy every year and pick out things that don't look like Halloween candy. I then save those for Christmas stockings.

Mariam
11-02-2016, 12:28 PM
After sifting through DS' candy on Halloween, there are somethings that just should be banned. One person, gave out the goodie bags that you can't see inside of. When we opened it, it was her business card and candy canes. I am sure they are from last year.

alegre
11-02-2016, 04:30 PM
Not sure if it's a good idea or not (nutritionally, psychologically, economically), but we buy candy from our kids. Usually they sell us 2/3 or so of their candy and just keep their favorites. I use their bought candy to fill our next piņata.