PDA

View Full Version : Quick Read, Funny Book

muddylilly
10-25-2016, 05:34 PM
Wasting time in the library last week, I came across a book in the hsing section that I wasn't familiar with.

It's called: The Year of Learning Dangerously (Adventures in Homeschooling) by Quinn Cummings.

Not a how to, or instructional in any way. Just lots of out loud chuckling for a homeschooling parent that has been around the block and understands all of "those types" of homeschoolers. ;)

Anyone else read it?

Oksana
10-25-2016, 07:07 PM
I did.
Enjoyed it quite a lot.

farrarwilliams
10-25-2016, 08:36 PM
I read it when it came out. It was cute. She's a good writer.

I didn't love it. I don't think she really *got* some fundamental aspects of homeschooling on a basic level just because they did it for such a short time and with only one kid. And IIRC she basically admits that. But as a little memoir of a year, it's nice. I have suggested it to people who are specifically getting into homeschooling for a set, short time for some reason.

alexsmom
10-25-2016, 11:32 PM
I liked how she touched on the major points and stereotypes... including Park Day With Strangers, and the S word.

And a nice "stereotypes are a real timesaver" humorous view of (radical) unschoolers, WTFers (I guess that was too scary she didnt even bother attending a conference), and xtian fundie homeschoolers.

Her vision of the future of homeschooling is sort of.... hmmmmm... and even coming from southern California as well, I dont see it as being quite so outsourced as she imagines.

And Im having fun still speculating on what religion she has... if shes atheist, or a watered-down-couldnt-be-bothered-agnostic, or some non-fundie liberal xtian.

I even read one of her other books... Notes from the Underwire... I dont recommend that at all. But the homeschooling one was fun and a bunch of giggles. :p

TFZ
10-26-2016, 12:36 PM
Gah not in my overdrive or even in my library system as a hand held paper book. Headed to Amazon.