PDA

View Full Version : How long is your day?

Miguel'smom
10-13-2016, 09:04 PM
We're switching from FLVS to Easy Peasy High school. One of the reason is that it takes my son ALL day (9-9) for one assignment regularly. So when we switch to EP do I finish our day based on time (5 hrs.) or based on completing assignments? I'm worried that if I have a set time he'll just sit there and not do anything all day. I don't want to spend all day doing work if I go by number of assignments. How long does your child takes a day for work?

JenWrites
10-13-2016, 10:36 PM
I give my eighth grader a list on a whiteboard of all the stuff she has to do on her own and usually give her some sort of timeline. Some days she can take her time, as long as everything is finished before she goes to bed. Other days we have plans, so I'll tell her she has to have her stuff done before we leave or whatever.

I generally like to avoid punishments, but if we're having an issue, I will tell her that if her phone is preventing her from getting her assignments done, then I'll need to hold onto it until she's finished. Sometimes I have to tell her no Skyping with her friends until something is done.

But in general, she likes the autonomy of working at her own pace and the comfort of mostly knowing what to expect.

Edited because I failed to answer the titular question: It takes her anywhere from 2-5 hours (cumulative) to get all her stuff done, depending on how heavy a day it is. Some of our days are lighter because of her extracurriculars, so those days might only take her 2 hours, spread out. Days we don't have to be anywhere are used for regularly planned stuff and make-ups, and those can take much longer. But again, she takes a lot of breaks. She might do her literature and poetry reading, then eat lunch and watch an episode of Smallville for an hour. Then do her math and copywork, followed by a break to play a game online with her friends. And on and on it goes. As long as she is finishing her stuff and not phoning it in, I'm okay with her setting her own pace.

alexsmom
10-13-2016, 10:49 PM
Im not sure switching to easy peasy is a good idea for your sons transcript... did you see the course descriptions?

Heres the quote:

Note: As always, this course supports a literal interpretation of the Bible that the earth was created in six days. I bring this up with the students and make notes in the curriculum about it as it comes up. I also included links to Answers in Genesis and 4th Day Alliance.

I know you were interested in your sons transcript from previous threads... not sure this is the direction you want to go in.

muddylilly
10-13-2016, 11:02 PM
Well, besides the point that Alexsmom made regarding the content of the source you are choosing...Easy Peasy...I have a more basic point to make.

If your signature is accurate, you have a 13 year old son doing 10th grade work and it is taking him a very long time. Maybe you are trying to accelerate him when you needn't? See how he does with age appropriate 8th grade work maybe?

And, yeah, Easy Peasy....
"Notes: I believe in a literal six-day creation of the world by our holy, loving, almighty, creative God. This will be discussed in the beginning of the course to give the framework for how evolution will be approached. Natural selection is taught as it corresponds with Biblical truth but not beyond that. Students will gain some understanding of secular evolutionary thought and come away strengthened in their faith. Many of the materials mention millions of years, and I can’t get away from that, but the students will not be required to take any of that as fact. There is no test on evolution; instead, students finish that chapter by presenting their beliefs about creation and evolution."

Not a program I would trust to secularize themselves. KWIM?

Good luck.

inmom
10-14-2016, 08:09 AM
First, I also agree with others that Easy Peasy is definitely not secular.

More importantly, I think the issue you are having with your son is not dependent upon the curriculum you are using. Unless there are major learning issues, it shouldn't take a 13 yo 12 hours to complete one assignment. It sounds like he either has procrastination issues or is just being defiant. I get it--my kids would be at times as well. But not to that extent.

To answer your original question, when my kids were 13, on average they would do schoolwork about 4-5 hours per day on a 5 day week.

Miguel'smom
10-14-2016, 11:19 AM
He's 14 now and in tenth grade. We plan to just use the literature part and US history for now. Math we're sticking to FLVS and science we haven't figured out yet. We're using Easy Peasy because it is free. I don't have the money for fancy new curriculum. I'm hoping if we get away from the computer things will speed up.

Currently he's getting A's-B's but we have discovered he doesn't understand when he asked a question. He can't figure out exactly what's being asked. He'll throw all the information he has about the subject at a person to answer a question. So he gets stuck on how to answer the question. He types only a paragraph a half hour and writes even slower. Then it also takes forever for him to think of the responses.

So we're starting 2 30 min hand written prompts and a new touch typing program. Hopefully he'll be able to catch up by the time he has to take the ACT. We don't know how to address his particular issue of understanding what is being asked but speeding up the time it takes to get things on to paper will help.

alexsmom
10-14-2016, 11:28 AM
What if you let him be an 8th grade middle schooler with those expectations? He might not be developmentally ready for the work of a 16yr old. If you ask him a question ,and he cant come up with a response, that means hes not internalizing the information. Slow down. Rethink what youre doing ,for his sake.

And there are plenty of free secular resources that have some rigor to them. No reason to go with a lackluster religious program just because its free.

Khan / Kahn (however its spelled) is a free, reputable source for online math education, and can be at whatever level he is at.
For english and writing, think about where he is, find something according to that. Same with sciences.

Miguel'smom
10-14-2016, 02:16 PM
I'm not holding him to a high standard. It's not about that. He can't parse out what a question is asking. So he throws everything he knows at it. The fact is he can't write a simple essay in a day. He's legally in 10th grade and if held "back" may loose his scholarship. It's not about the grade he's in I'd expect more from a Third grader. My nephew who is in first grade completes more work daily than he does. My son would struggle with trying to understand what they're asking also.

If you were to say:
Tom, and Sue went to the store. Then Jan went to the store. Who went last? He'd say Tom, Sue and then Jan. When the answer is Jan went last.

Because he doesn't understand questions he can't expand on his answers making his days trying to do his work long. I'm furious and sad we didn't discover this sooner. I'm really not giving him tons of work. His current work load is suppose to take him 15 hr a week. However 1 assignment takes him forever.

I can't find free secular curriculum that is offline. We are going to use daily grams but I want him to get away from the computer. So we can monitor his comprehension and writing ability.

alexsmom
10-14-2016, 08:30 PM
Im just trying to understand where you are coming from.
Tell me if Im correct, please.
Your son, age 14, is currently doing a free Florida Virtual Academy (a public charter school) with 10th grade work. You are switching to Easy Peasy, which is an unregulated, unaccredited home school curriculum.
Your son is unable to provide comprehension related answers, and is struggling 12 hours a day to complete one single of the several assignments given by FLVA.

Is that right?

If you are switching to something unaccredited, what scholarship money are you speaking of?

Im just trying to understand.

Miguel'smom
10-14-2016, 09:16 PM
Right but he's already registered as a traditional home schooler not through FLVA.

He's home schooled currently doing 10th grade flvs through the home school option. So he's not required to do end of the year tests or anything the FLVA is required. He just gets his grades from the teachers and that's it.When we do the portfolio review at the end of the year says he's promoted to x grade. I was using Flvs so I didn't have to "prove " my curriculum when he graduates. However that doesn't matter at this point.

If he continues home schooling through senior year he's eligible for Florida bright futures scholarship. So he's traditionally home schooled through the county.

He is having trouble with comprehending questions and completing the work Flvs gives even with 12 hr days. Today one assignment only took 4 hrs. The weird thing is he's getting A's and B's on the stuff he turns in. Except for US History.

His comprehension issue came to our attention because the math teacher asked if he was being effected by hurricane Mathew. He went into telling her all about hurricanes and how we were going to get hit. We weren't we are on the opposite coast.

Miguel'smom
10-15-2016, 09:23 AM
We got a prompt book from 5 and bellow. We're going to get Easy grams: ultimate series grade 10 $14, Life of Fred Chemistry $30, A People's History of the United States $15, and EP American lit. $7 (to kill a mocking bird) total $66.

That's what I'm thinking right now for the remainder of the year. He use to love life of Fred math so hopefully that will come across in Science. A people's history of United States if right up his alley but it'll have to be tempered with documentaries and other stuff. Daily grams he did well at when he was real young. I really cant find anything other then EP american lit that is cheap. So we'll stick with that for now and see how it goes.

LAR
10-15-2016, 10:09 AM
First, here's the Bright Futures award chart with eligibility requirements: SAT/ACT scores and volunteer hours (obviously meeting graduation requirements as well). I haven't read the fine print but will do that once we hit high school. However, I've yet to hear of a family having difficulty obtaining the scholarship if test scores and volunteer hours meet minimum requirements. It seems to be one of the easier scholarships to receive. Perhaps you can call Bright Futures to discuss and alleviate your concerns. 1-888-827- 2004

http://www.floridastudentfinancialaid.org/ssfad/PDF/BFEligibilityAwardChart.pdf

Our daughter is 13 1/2, an 8th grader, but is enrolled in classes for high school credits as well. She's taken classes through FLVS flex program (designed for homeschool students) and the suggested minutes/hours of work time are listed on each section. We've found that it takes less time to complete the work than the suggested time frame; other homeschool friends have similar experiences. Since FLVS is free, I'd recommend that you speak with a counselor who can help you determine the best path for your son and identify appropriate level courses. Your son is definitely in the wrong classes if it's taking a full day to complete one FLVS assignment. The counselors have been most helpful to us. Give them a try.

As to your original question, our day is much longer this year - 6 to 7 hours. Our daughter is taking: Physics (Clover Creek); ASL II (CurrClick); Algebra II (Mr D Math); Human Geography (Sterling Academy) and Psychology (Sterling Academy). The Sterling classes are very challenging for her so we are moving at a slower pace. However, the content is excellent; she especially likes psychology.

Good luck! I hope you find curriculum that suit your son's needs.

Miguel'smom
10-17-2016, 04:16 PM
My husband is going to call bright future. My son got a call from a former teacher that wants my son to switch to his class instead of dropping the course. We are going to talk to him about our concerns and see what his ideas are.

farrarwilliams
10-17-2016, 05:32 PM
Life of Fred science is not secular, just FYI. Not sure what problems there are in the chemistry. If free/cheap is the priority, the CK-12 texts are excellent options.

Do you need to do grammar still? What's your grammar philosophy? I think the focus in 10th grade should strongly be writing skills, not grammar. So think about whether a slapdash prompt book is enough - it absolutely could be if you're supporting it right. There are some good trade pb essay books - Lively Art of Writing is one, though it's woefully old-fashioned... let me think about what might be better if you're interested.

People's History is a great book and there are some good supporting materials for it. I wouldn't consider it complete for a US history high school survey, just because it's so biased. I would pair it with a more traditional text and/or some other materials.

Here's a thought... does your library have that service where you can stream the Great Courses for free? What about doing some Coursera or EdX courses? EdX has some great high school specific offerings (and it's free). Just trying to open up your options.

I think you're smart to go out on your own and get away from the virtual academy and Easy Peasy.

It's a balancing act with the time. On the one hand, there is something of a set body of knowledge you need to cover to call a class "geometry" or "US history" (though I suppose you can always call it "Topics in US History" on the transcript if you need to). On the other hand, kids can only do what they can do.

Are you concerned about his difficulties answering those questions and understanding how to answer them? I think I'd be concerned about a kid that age not being able to process that sort of thing after the first couple of times struggling. I'm assuming it's not always such a straightforward mistake. But being able to distill the question and then come up with a succinct answer is absolutely an essential critical thinking skill for this age. And it's probably worth stopping what you're doing to back up and figure out how to teach it.

Miguel'smom
10-17-2016, 06:49 PM
We think his asd is getting in the way of understanding simple questions. Which is a concern. He's definitely regressed. The grammar is a way to make sure he has his writing skills on level without a lot of writing a long with two 30 min prompt response. I'll check if my library has great courses but I kind of want to do stuff offline.

We talked to his teacher and his teacher wants him to get an iep or 504 right away. He actually seemed upset my son didnt have it last year because of his asd/add. Then we'll extend his school year so he'll finish US history class next May. He wants us to inform the other teachers we'really going after extended time/school year. So he'll only have 1-2 assignments a week per class. He's sure he can teach Miguel the material as he's worked with him before. There's a lot of critical thinking and his ability to understand the question is an issue.

If this doesn't work then there's no harm in dropping the classes like planned but he wants the iep/504 in place for the Sat/Act and college. I feel weird having him in advance classes but have an iep/504. However the teacher assures us that he's capable of the work just needs more time to collect and organize his thoughts.

We don't want him to be labeled or iep but his teacher thinks it is time. We've avoided it long enough I guess. He'll need it for college.

farrarwilliams
10-17-2016, 07:35 PM
The IEP is a must. I hope the process goes smoothly for you. There's really nothing wrong with labels when you're using them to milk the system to get what you need - not letting the system define you.

LKnomad
11-22-2016, 02:17 AM
We think his asd is getting in the way of understanding simple questions. Which is a concern. He's definitely regressed. The grammar is a way to make sure he has his writing skills on level without a lot of writing a long with two 30 min prompt response. I'll check if my library has great courses but I kind of want to do stuff offline.

If this doesn't work then there's no harm in dropping the classes like planned but he wants the iep/504 in place for the Sat/Act and college. I feel weird having him in advance classes but have an iep/504. However the teacher assures us that he's capable of the work just needs more time to collect and organize his thoughts.

We don't want him to be labeled or iep but his teacher thinks it is time. We've avoided it long enough I guess. He'll need it for college.

Just wandered in after a long absence, and found this post. Miguel'smom you are describing cohesion and memory issues with auditory processing. My 14 year old also cannot remember from the beginning to the end of a complex sentence what the speaker is talking about. As part of is IEP triennial testing they did an auditory processing test that looked at the ability to hold auditory information in his head and manipulate what he was hearing. What you described up post, was exactly the problem they found. We have had to do significant changes in how he learns to accommodate quite a few issues including auditory processing and dysgraphia (writing). He has significant problems with getting information from his brain to his hands. But he understand everything.

My younger son will also have accommodations for the ACT/SAT and all AP or subject tests. We are in the process of setting that up now. Remember, intelligence has nothing to do with needing accommodations. It is about evening the playing fields to make sure your child has time to process information that other students can processes easily, because they do not have any kind of disability. My kid also needs breaks because of attentional issues as well as a smaller setting due to distractions. These are necessary for his success.

My older son had an IEP since he was 4 and graduated top of his class and is now in college. The IEP stayed all through school. The younger one has an IEP now for high school with our charter and will need accommodations so that he has a fair chance at the same opportunities as his typical peers do. Accommodations make things fair. Smart and advanced have nothing to do with it.