PDA

View Full Version : malware warnings

Mariam
09-27-2016, 12:13 PM
All of a sudden every link I click on receives a malware warning. This is fairly new and it appears that others are having that problem too. Now I can click through the warning to take me to the site.

This appears to stem from the SHS thread only. I wonder if this is related to the robot issues from earlier.

alexsmom
09-27-2016, 03:09 PM
I think the first one was the BraveWriter link... I contacted BW, they double and triple checked everything, said their technical people said it was coming from our site.

Aandwsmom
09-27-2016, 06:39 PM
Weird. I will make sure Topsy sees this! Thanks everyone for letting us know!

Topsy
09-27-2016, 07:28 PM
Thanks so much for letting us know! I'll pass this along to support.

aselvarial
09-27-2016, 10:19 PM
I got it too. From the Crash Course history link this morning.

TFZ
09-29-2016, 12:05 AM
Me too - trying to click the .gov sites from the election thread.

crazyme
09-30-2016, 01:28 AM
Glad to know I'm not the only one!

Topsy
09-30-2016, 08:37 AM
Thanks, all! Tech support is making this issue their highest priority today to get to the bottom of.

Mariam
09-30-2016, 10:23 AM
Yeah! It is really starting to bug me.

artemis74
10-02-2016, 03:48 PM
I just got it when I tried to click on the Feynman papers:(

muddylilly
10-04-2016, 03:35 PM
Red screen is still going on..... :)

ETA: doesn't happen in groups though. only in main forum..... hmmm....

inmom
10-04-2016, 04:34 PM
I usually just end up cutting and pasting anymore into a new browser to avoid the malware warnings.

Topsy
10-05-2016, 07:16 AM
Thanks so much for letting me know, ladies. I will bump this again with our tech support to see if we can get to the bottom of it.

farrarwilliams
10-08-2016, 07:13 PM
I just noticed it for the first time.

Scary red screen of death! I don't understand what's happening... there are hackers using linking off the site? What's actually happening there?

Topsy
10-09-2016, 08:49 AM
I just noticed it for the first time.

Scary red screen of death! I don't understand what's happening... there are hackers using linking off the site? What's actually happening there?

I still don't think tech support has completely figured it out yet. There are CONSTANT attacks on the server, (thus the security software that creates the robot issue for some people and situations) but so far our security software has seemed to be over-protective instead of under-protective, so I just don't have an answer on why clicking on third-party links sometimes gives you a malware warning. It's still an open ticket with them, though, so I'll definitely let them know that we're continuing to have issues and hopefully they'll have the issue tackled soon.

Thanks for continuing to report, everyone!!!

groovymom2000
10-11-2016, 08:30 PM
Just got it this evening when I clicked on a post and started to read-there were no links in the post(not that i could see initially). I was taken to the big red scary screen, I clicked "ignore", then was switched to the Spelling city(?) site, then to a google malware warning page. No time to really read any of the messages.

ETA-It only happened once. When I went back to the post to actually read it, nothing happened. FWIW-I clicked on the post through the 'last post" heading on the left of the forum subject. In this case it was in the Curriculum forum.

Topsy
10-11-2016, 09:15 PM
Just got it this evening when I clicked on a post and started to read-there were no links in the post(not that i could see initially). I was taken to the big red scary screen, I clicked "ignore", then was switched to the Spelling city(?) site, then to a google malware warning page. No time to really read any of the messages.

ETA-It only happened once. When I went back to the post to actually read it, nothing happened. FWIW-I clicked on the post through the 'last post" heading on the left of the forum subject. In this case it was in the Curriculum forum.

Thanks so much for the great explanation of exactly what happened when you experienced this error tonight. Passing all your info right onto tech support!

Topsy
10-12-2016, 11:19 AM
Just an update. The issue is caused because of an attempted hack on the site. Our security software caught the hack and kept it from invading, but the hack itself has triggered Google's malware warning system that many of you are seeing. It's kind of like a surge protector. It protects - - but once it has been triggered, you have issues with the strip itself until you "reset." None of the links you are trying to click through are dangerous, but Google sees them that way until we get the "all clear" from them, which is a lengthier process than you might think. :P My advice is just until you get the "all clear" from us, to copy and paste links into a new tab or window rather than clicking them directly from within the site. My true hope is that we'll have this all behind us by end of week. I'll definitely post a site-wide notice when we're all good. Sorry again for all the trouble everyone!

Able Kinetic
11-17-2016, 02:51 AM
Hello,

Any updates from Google or any other to the "The site ahead contains malware" issue?

Thanks,

Able

Topsy
11-17-2016, 08:12 AM
Still working on it. The tech support team we use has had a critical issue with another site that they've had to work on for the last week (site was completely down), so we got bumped down the list a bit, but they are definitely back on the job and hope to have some good news for us by end of week.