PDA

View Full Version : when you have an hour to spare, great video- unschooling

Dutchbabiesx2
11-30-2010, 01:02 PM
http://blog.p2pfoundation.net/the-history-of-alternative-schooling-and-homeschooling/2010/11/16

Astra Taylor, filmmaker, talks about her experience being unschooled and explores learning what inspires you.

I have only listened to about 30 minutes . . I have an 8 year old wanting to experiment in the kitchen, it does require some supervision. Let me know what the rest is like!

dbmamaz
12-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Ok, i finally started this, and it looked familiar. I thought she talked about being unschooled, and then deciding to go to high school to prove it could be done, and then going to a good college, but still questioning if that credential should be needed. But she also talked about her youngest sister, who didnt seem to get as much one-on-one attention from her parents, and so the older kids tried to teach her because she seemed to be floundering - and still was rather aimless, living with their brother.

It reminded me of one of my favorite articles about NOT being an unschooler - that great unschoolers are usually very entrepreneurial kids who are self-directed - and for those of us who are less self-directed, its not a great way to maximize our potential.