PDA

View Full Version : your experiences with one child at school, others at home ?

Stella M
11-29-2010, 03:14 AM
My 11yr old dd is thinking about going to highschool ( Year 7 ) in 2012. We are getting all the info she needs now b/c the applications have to be in first few months of next year. She wants to have more in-area friends and also more dance/sport.

I'm ok with her trying it out ( though I'm not looking forward to dealing with school ) but I'm wondering how its going to work with one child in school and the other two homeschooling, especially as the 11yr old is the 13yr old's main companion atm ?

Any hints on how to make it work, pitfalls, benefits ? Thanks.

Pefa
11-29-2010, 07:00 AM
My experience was that it wasn't a big deal. It was clear why the child had chosen to go to school so it wasn't like they were either being punished or given special treatment.

Good luck.

Shoe
11-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I had my youngest in school and my oldest homeschooled last year, and it wasn't a big deal in any way. This year both are at home, though my youngest is still talking about going back to public school next year. I didn't find any problems with it at all.

allisonsracquet
11-29-2010, 12:14 PM
My daughter (14) attends a private school, and my son is in sixth grade and homeschooled (12). I definitely plan on homeschooling him through 8th grade if not longer. My daughter loves her school and in particular, the music programs. It really is not an issue that one is homeschooled in our home. Where we live, if they were both in school, they would be in different schools, so really it is much more convenient that he is homeschooled! I have noticed that because we homeschool, the 14 year old's curriculum is often enhanced by our library trips, and by our attitude that learning doesn't end at school- I really love her school, and because it is private, the curriculum does not center around state testing, so it is very nice! I also use some of her old books for schooling my son which is really nice!

Stephany
11-29-2010, 12:34 PM
My fifteen-year-old wanted to go back to school this year but the others (6,9,17) are still home. We haven't had many issues because of it. My boys want nothing to do with school. They do miss her on occasion and it limits our ability to be quite as free-wheeling as we once were. We can't travel outside of the school schedule and that sort of thing. It hasn't been too awful, though.