PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Go! .... Go Away, or yippie yay! ?

alexsmom
08-13-2016, 06:54 PM
I hear bad press about PokemonGo... people driving off cliffs, people getting shot as mistaken for intruders.... etc.

But everyone I know who actually plays it (all gaming adults) enjoy it. These include a lumberjack from Canada (Lives in Prince George... isnt that where one of our SHSers lives?), a college student at Uni of Tenn, and a Michigan dad of two kids who told me "Because of it, we have gotten out more in the last two weeks than we had all the last two years." He takes his kids to parks and hiking... where they all play.

Its also a huge change for me to see kids OUTSIDE, walking around. Yah they have their phones out, but they arent just sitting on their butts!
At our park today, though, I saw a homemade sign telling people that our park wasnt a Pokemon hub. Clearly, some neighbor is opposed to it.

My understanding of the game is that you hunt and find these pokemons, then to make them hatch you have to walk (or run or ride a bike) a certain distance (I think one distance is 10KM) to make them hatch. And multiple people get together for training their pokemons and taking over other teams pokemon bases.

Whats everyone else's experience with it? Would you let your kids play? Does it horrify you that kids are out of the house? Do you play it?

Mariam
08-13-2016, 08:10 PM
I don't know how to vote.

I am holding off on using it because we had so many summer activities, I wanted to use it when they all end and I need to bribe DS to go outside.

TFZ
08-13-2016, 08:27 PM
How fun. Life gaming. DS is oblivious. I'm not into it, but I was just past the cutoff for Pokemon. I have a couple cousins that are playing without kids. Whatever geeks you out is fine with me.

Deli76
08-13-2016, 10:05 PM
Pokemon was a big thing when ds was like 5. All I heard about was Pokemon! I thought it was over and done with years ago. So when the app came out, first it was hubby...ugh....then it was dd. Surprisingly ds has not gotten into it. But now I have dd and hubby asking me to drive around...sloooowly...so they can "catch them all"!!! :rolleyes: But ds does help them with whos stronger than who when it comes to pokemon. Ds was telling me he read something about nerds (not meant to be mean, but a compliment, we are all nerds in one way or another in this house), finally getting out and finding dates. Oh geez. I do like that people are getting out more with this app and game. They are staring at their phones and not really the scenery, but they are out. We have an obesity problem in the U.S. . If this gets people moving, then so be it. Enjoy!!!

alexsmom
08-14-2016, 07:29 PM
My hubby pointed out to me that even when the app isnt running, it is monitoring the phone's location (for tallying of distance traveled, ostensibly). So the company knows the stores you go into, how long it takes to get from point A to B, what your routine is as far as location goes.
Which is a little creepy, I admit.

inmom
08-14-2016, 08:57 PM
I can't read the paper without seeing several articles lately about people who trespass while playing, cause accidents while playing, start fights....

DH says it's a good way to ruin an outside experience. Get out and SEE the world, listen to birds, smell the flowers. (I'm the grump who voted to ban!)

MNDad
08-14-2016, 09:09 PM
To each his/her own. Not in any way my thing; but I'm not a gamer. I suppose it does get people out of doors, which is good. But the idea of experiencing the environment through the lens of the world of fantastical beings strikes me as odd.

muddylilly
08-14-2016, 10:40 PM
"But the idea of experiencing the environment through the lens of the world of fantastical beings strikes me as odd." LOL!!! MNDAD, that's kind of how I feel about Facebook ;)

Yeah, the whole thing is a bit odd....and the big brother, creepy factor that AM mentioned....no thanks.

IEF
08-15-2016, 12:26 PM
My hubby pointed out to me that even when the app isnt running, it is monitoring the phone's location (for tallying of distance traveled, ostensibly). So the company knows the stores you go into, how long it takes to get from point A to B, what your routine is as far as location goes.
Which is a little creepy, I admit.

Roy Schestowitz posted some very disturbing articles about this on my Diaspora* yesterday. There's no way I can dig them all up, but here are a few concerns anyway:

https://pod.orkz.net/posts/3216007

https://pod.orkz.net/posts/3216019

Older:

Pokemon Go Is A "Malware" And "Hackers' Dream", Security Experts Say (http://fossbytes.com/pokemon-go-malware-massive-security-risk/)

Oliver Stone: Pokemon Go Is a ‘New Level of Invasion’ | Variety (http://variety.com/2016/film/news/oliver-stone-pokemon-go-data-1201819636/)

HTH

MNDad
08-16-2016, 05:52 AM
"But the idea of experiencing the environment through the lens of the world of fantastical beings strikes me as odd." LOL!!! MNDAD, that's kind of how I feel about Facebook ;)

ML: Facebook as a world of fantastical beings... I can see that!

Katrah
08-16-2016, 08:09 AM
I love games, even video games, and while I've heard of PokemonGo I knew nothing about what it was, thank you Alexsmom for your description. And if indeed that is how it's played there's no way I'd be letting my kids play it, and that's an odd thing for me to say. The concept of having your attention glued to your phone/tablet while walking around or worse is horrible at best. I smell a lawsuit in the near future for the makers of this game. My kids are spacey enough when it comes to watching out for traffic and such without the added assistance of an app that requires their attention while they cross the street. :confused:

alexsmom
08-16-2016, 09:54 AM
So I asked for clarification on how its played, if youre looking at the screen all the time or not....
The phone goes in your pocket, and if you are out and about and come up on a pokemon, it vibrates to alert you. And you can capture it, then go on your way...

The first version had a *tracker* thing where you could look at the screen and track down the pokemon. That went away with the first update.

If you need to walk certain distance to make your Pokemon hatch, you keep phone in your pocket again. So you walk somewhere interesting (like a hike) because it is more fun than walking around the block to get your distances.
And while you're out, you might find more pokemons. ;)

So no, you arent out on a hike, staring at your screen.

skrink
08-16-2016, 09:58 AM
We don't have iPhones so we're out of the loop anyway, but the privacy issues + yet another reason to be glue to a screen instead of living life make me very happy dd has no interest!

Tltorrez
08-16-2016, 10:08 AM
I play. My 13-year old and I go out a few evenings a week to walk. We spend time together. I even hatched a 10km egg. Better than a Fitbit for motivation. Also our favorite Pokestop is at the library and the librarians are thrilled; they've definitely seen a spike in people using the library.

Regarding the posts about tracking -- this app does not run in the background. It cannot track distance unless the app is on. Believe me, I wish it did.

RTB
08-16-2016, 10:27 AM
There are a ton of people looking (hunting ? - idk what word you use) for Pokemon at the park dd practices soccer. The people out are so friendly to one another - everyone is chatting. I overhear them helping one another or engaging in small talk. Though it is not my thing, imo people connecting over something not hate or fear based is a good thing.

Riceball_Mommy
08-16-2016, 11:46 AM
I like it. It has to be on in order to track your distance to hatch the eggs. So I'll turn it on and turn the phone upside down for battery saver mode and go for a walk, or when I'm out shopping. If a Pokemon pops up it vibrates and then I can decide to stop to try to catch it or just ignore it because I'm doing something else. Or if I toss my phone in my bag upside down it will track the distance for the egg but I don't have to worry about being distracted by it vibrating. A lot of the problems remind me of the the articles that came out when texting got big. A girl walked into an open manhole while texing, we still have to warn people not to text and drive. It seems pretty obvious to most people that when you are driving that's what you should be doing but some people still need that reminder. Don't eat soup, don't apply make up, don't hold the phone to your ear, don't text, don't search for a cd in the back seat. There are many warning built into the game. Don't trespass, be aware of your surroundings, there's even a new warning that pops up if it thinks you are moving too fast. It tells you not to play and drive and then you click the "I'm a passenger" button to go back to the game. The game has plenty of warnings built in so I think they're going to be safe from lawsuits. At this point it's your own fault if you do some of these things.

They're working on letting locations opt out, and I think they should also allow locations to opt in. Some business love it, we have this collection of stores, The Avenue, and many of the businesses there love the game. They are getting more customers, they set out lures to bring in even more people, the library system has fully embraced it too. They hold a Pokemon crawl on Fridays now, they set off lures or host games in the branches that are gyms. My husband has gotten back into walking on his lunch breaks now, and my daughter and I have taken to walking around the block in the evening sometimes because of the game. It makes a good excuse to get out of the house. We made a special trip to our favorite bakery to get Pokemon cupcakes, and got a discount that day because of the game.

alexsmom
08-16-2016, 01:02 PM
Thanks RBM, I knew someone here could explain it better than I did 2nd hand!

Its a relief to know its not tracking you while the game is off. :)

crazyme
08-21-2016, 02:35 AM
We don't have IPhones or anything like that, so we don't have the option, but we probably wouldn't play anyhow.

Part of my husband's forest is a Poke Stop and he isn't happy about it. But he get's grumpy about selfies in the wilderness, too...

alexsmom
08-21-2016, 08:50 AM
We don't have IPhones or anything like that, so we don't have the option, but we probably wouldn't play anyhow.

Part of my husband's forest is a Poke Stop and he isn't happy about it. But he get's grumpy about selfies in the wilderness, too...

Has the Pokestop brought more people in? Advocates of the gsme say it gets people out and about, instead of sitting at home.

crazyme
08-21-2016, 11:45 AM
Has the Pokestop brought more people in? Advocates of the gsme say it gets people out and about, instead of sitting at home.

I don't know. The place is already a destination by itself--the "I'm going to save up and go one day" kind of one. And it's summer, when visitation is already high, so I don't know if they will be able to really tell in the end. Theyare hhaving special walks/talks on the theme, so the attendance at those might give an indication. I'm sure your statement is what the big boss was thinking of. My husband, the grump, thinks the place has value ofits own and ddoesn't need "gimmicks."

alexsmom
08-21-2016, 01:21 PM
Im having so much fun imagining a Pokestop in OR now... On the edge of Crater Lake ("I hear theres a pokegym on wizards hat!") or somewhere along the Columbia River Gorge. Both seem to be places with steep drop-offs. :p

crazyme
08-21-2016, 05:45 PM
Maybe worse? The coast. I guess the upshot is that the "events" are up at the visitor center, and not down on the slippery, wave-spraying rocks!

I love thinking about pokemons hanging out on the top of wizard island! We were in Yosemite a couple weeks ago and my youngest swears he heard that there was a Poke-something on top of Half Dome! :eek: