PDA

View Full Version : Are you watching the Olympics?

alexsmom
08-09-2016, 04:38 PM
Im nosy.

inmom
08-09-2016, 05:28 PM
Mostly swimming. We have a local kid who swam a leg of the men's relay preliminary. However, his spot in the final was filled by Michael Phelps. The kids still gets a gold medal, just doesn't get to stand on the podium. Three of the four who swam the prelim were replaced by other swimmers for the final. Not sure how all the works, but must be part of the rules.

alexsmom
08-09-2016, 05:40 PM
Whaaaat? So the team puts up swimmers to qualify, then others to do the actual final swimming?

inmom
08-09-2016, 05:43 PM
Yup. Pretty much.

Happydays525
08-09-2016, 06:45 PM
My daughter and I wanted to catch some of the gymnastics but haven't due to being too busy!

quabbin
08-09-2016, 07:01 PM
Not interested.

aselvarial
08-09-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm not that old, but the Olympics used to be less commercial. Or, it was commercial but they hid it better. Plus, after several years of one failure or another at host cities, I'm kinda ignoring them until it starts being less overtly crooked.

Partly because I live in a city where it's been done already (20 year anniversary woo-hoo) and nearly EVERY venue, building, park, etc was built to be used for something else once the Olympics was over, I get so upset seeing all these olympic venues just...decomposing at various recent host cities. I truly think to win a bid, a potential city should have to submit plans on how they plan to build the venues, WHERE they plan to do them, how they plan to fund them, and how they plan to reuse them when it is over. If they don't have plans for how to re-use the buildings when it is over, then they won't build them well.

ejsmom
08-09-2016, 09:12 PM
DS is a fencer and very much following that. We have watched bits and pieces of other things now and then waiting or watching for fencing bouts. Now that DS is competing in tournaments, he is fascinated by competitions, and watching the athletes/competitors composure and what they do before (and after) they perform. DS had many issues to overcome over the years, and we worked really hard instilling good sportsmanship and he watches for that, as well as admires good grace when a competitor loses (or wins.)

Mariam
08-10-2016, 10:44 AM
We really like watching the Olympics, but NBC has made it difficult to watch full events. Since we cut the cord to cable, the Olympics is the one event that we have not been able to see fully. Every two years I keep thinking that they will get their act together and broadcast it over the internet and I am let down.

TFZ
08-10-2016, 12:22 PM
Yessssssss! I watch it ALL! This is the only time we ever have the tv going all day long.

muddylilly
08-10-2016, 12:50 PM
Yep we watch most things.....it's on several channels with different sports, so how can you not?

Fencing is WAAAAAAY cool! DS says rowing is boring, and we all decided the women's Judo looks like a girl slap fight. We want a cage match! LOL!!!

You know, I have to say that as a young kid, watching the Olympics, I learned more about geography and national flags than I did in school. Probably because I was interested. We have a bit of a competition going on here. "Name That Flag!" :)

CrazyGooseLady
08-10-2016, 03:07 PM
Nope. Can not stand commercials. Watched when I was a kid, but the things that I want to watch, field hockey, shooting sports, kayaking....are not really shown. We do not have cable.

alumalarkey
08-11-2016, 08:27 AM
We've had it on in the background often. We're all really following swimming since Phelps is from here, but the gymnastics are cool to watch. I just love the girl's team this year...but I find myself wanting to feed them.

Luv2HS
08-12-2016, 03:55 AM
Hi InMom,

We, too, watch a lot of swimming. It's not part of the rules. It's purely a coaching decision. They were initially not going to run Michael Phelps because he didn't even have a time for a 100free (they have to jump in the pool at some point during the week and clock a time). He really, really wanted to swim it and I guess they let him. What a swim. That relay was a lot of fun to watch. The kids were so excited to watch Nathan Adrian bring it home:). Can you tell they swim?? lol

Luv2HS
08-12-2016, 03:55 AM
CGL: DVR! We have commercial-free Olympics:)

alwayssmile
08-12-2016, 03:10 PM
I'm totally obsessed with everything! I love watching all the sports that I normally ignore. My parents don't want to watch most events (Kids and I are at their house for 2 months), so I'm rather thankful that military has been able to live steam a lot for free this year. Very few commercials compared to TV when steaming!

muddylilly
08-16-2016, 11:27 PM
WATCH: 2012 gold medalist diver belly flops, scores zero at Rio Olympics - CBSSports.com (http://www.cbssports.com/olympics/news/watch-gold-medalist-diver-belly-flops-scores-zero-at-rio-olympics/)

Just in case you missed it!! LOL!!!

Marmalade
08-17-2016, 01:54 PM
We really like watching the Olympics, but NBC has made it difficult to watch full events. Since we cut the cord to cable, the Olympics is the one event that we have not been able to see fully. Every two years I keep thinking that they will get their act together and broadcast it over the internet and I am let down.

This! NBC is really making it hard for me to enjoy it! It seems like they only want to focus on the super stars (Michael Phelps, Simone Biles) and while I think those athletes definitely deserve tons of accolades the rest of the athletes are also fantastic (Seeing as how they are OLYMPIC FREAKING ATHLETES, for cripes sake!).

I think part of the problem also might be social media. They expect the outcome of events to be posted all over social media the second it happens so they go live to major events (again, Michael Phelps) and just show clips of other sports between. It's really annoying. I think I'm done watching.

TFZ
08-17-2016, 02:26 PM
Ugh yes! The spoilers are the WORST.
I love watching Usain Bolt.