PDA

View Full Version : Feedback Needed on Subject-Specific Curriculum

Topsy
11-24-2010, 04:24 PM
I have been working for the last several months preparing a section for our resource page about subject-specific secular curriculum. I'm getting close to being finished...I may even have it up in the next couple of weeks (fingers-crossed). I had no idea it would take me this long, but I really have had to do a LOT of research to make sure things that SAID they were secular really were secular, and all that jazz.

ANYWAY....
The sections I have so far are the basics:

Math
Science
History/Social Studies
Language Arts

What I need now is some input on any other sections of curriculum you would like to see included. Possibilities could include:

Art & Music
Foreign Language
Physical Education
Others??

Obviously, I can't work on this project until 2012, but I really do want to include the areas that are most helpful. Any feedback would be appreciated!! :D

Teri
11-24-2010, 07:09 PM
I have a music history one to recommend. I met Professor Carol last year when I was doing homeschool conferences for MBTP.
She is a professor at SMU in Dallas and decided that she wanted to reach out to the homeschool community. The program is incredibly well done and she traveled all over the world for the video clips. It is really amazing. Recommended for junior high and up.
http://discoveringmusic.net/

Busygoddess
11-24-2010, 07:24 PM
Art & Music, Foreign Language, Home Ec/Life Skills, Logic - or maybe 'Electives' and all of these could be listed in that. Also, a section for multi-subject materials might be helpful to some.

Stella M
11-25-2010, 02:37 AM
9 Note Recorder Method by Penny Gardiner - she's a CM writer and possibly religious - the book isn't and its absolutely fantastic!
Artistic Pursuits - really, really liking these, esp for high school.
Minumus Latin - fantastic latin program for 8-12yrs, from Cambridge University Press I think.
Cambridge Latin.

Oh, I see you were asking for curriculum areas, that'll teach me to read things properly!

Topsy
11-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Yes, there will be plenty of time to add specific curricula, I'm just looking for feedback on the broader areas of curricula you all would like to see covered.

pandahoneybee
11-25-2010, 09:10 AM
Foreign Language gets my vote;) But I figured that most of them are secular? maybe I am wrong about that

Teri
11-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Oh, I see. I misunderstood. :p

Topsy
11-25-2010, 12:14 PM
Foreign Language gets my vote;) But I figured that most of them are secular? maybe I am wrong about that

You would be AMAZED...especially those designed for home schoolers. Secular ones are few and far between in that category!!

farrarwilliams
11-25-2010, 01:37 PM
Sounds like that's a cool resource you're building. Are you going to include all secular curricula, Topsy? Or will you also include curricula that many people "secularize"? Will there be a way for members to contribute reviews?

Stella M
11-25-2010, 04:11 PM
For younger kids - art and music resources.
For highschoolers - economics, foreign language, technology subjects ( food, textile, wood/metal work etc ) and geography.

Actually, geography is a really tricky one, so I'd really like to find resources in this area.

Topsy
11-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Sounds like that's a cool resource you're building. Are you going to include all secular curricula, Topsy? Or will you also include curricula that many people "secularize"? Will there be a way for members to contribute reviews?

Farrar...I'm trying for mostly secular material, because the other stuff is listed so many other places. However, there are a few resources that I know a lot of us "secularize" that I am listing with a caveat attached. At first it will probably be just for resource purposes, but if I can get it going, I've definitely played with the idea of linking it with reviews as well!!

Topsy
11-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Thanks so much for the feedback!! I've got a much better handle on which subjects to focus on now, I think!!

allisonsracquet
11-26-2010, 08:51 AM
MelissainOz...
I saw where you mentioned the Latin program....I am very interested in Minimus Latin. I looked it up online, and was wondering, what books would you suggest we start with? Looks like the teachers guide is expensive! Any other tips or suggestions for teaching with Minimus?

Stella M
11-27-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi - we managed with just the student books ( Minimus and Minimus Secondus ) plus the audio CD's for each book, to help with pronunciation. I don't have a language background ( only 1 year of highschool Latin ) and we managed fine without the teacher's manual. I'd say it's more of an intro to the language, to get the idea of how it works, ( vocab, grammar, structure, relationship to English ) and also to the culture of Roman Britain. We'll be moving on to Cambridge Latin next year but I'm glad we have the Minimus background. I'll be using it with my 6yr old in a few years time.

It takes very little prep time - I read over the lesson the night before we were using it to make sure I had a handle on it. The stories are engaging and are supported by archeological evidence. It has been one of my favourite buys.

I really hope you don't buy it and get disappointed with it now!! I think it's worth the $. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions. HTH.

InstinctiveMom
11-29-2010, 12:34 AM
Topsy, I'd also second the geography and 'life skills' sections. And Foreign Language!!

We're doing Latin this year; I have Ecce Romani for later but right now we're doing 'Learning Latin with Virgil' on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxK6fC2v6c
We've done Lesson 1 over and over and are on Lesson 2 now; the kids LOVE it.
I've gone through Lesson 6, and it's based on The Aeneid.
~h

mommykicksbutt
12-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Try finding a homeschool curriculum for Debate that isn't christian!!!!! I'd love to see some curriculum resources for homeschoolers that are secular for teaching debate!

mommykicksbutt
12-05-2010, 07:03 AM
We're doing Latin this year; I have Ecce Romani for later but right now we're doing 'Learning Latin with Virgil' on YouTube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfxK6fC2v6c
~h

Great resouce for Latin! Thanks for the link

dbmamaz
12-10-2010, 02:38 PM
programming is one i frequently see people asking for curriculum for, and i've seen engineering, too (which i didnt think was really a high school subject, but whatever). I think they could be lumped maybe under technology and engineering? Oh, and what about typing? Is that part of english?

perhaps you need, um, i hate to say this, subfolders - so english could have grammar, writing, spelling, handwriting, etc folder, and extracurriculurs would have art and technology and music and gym and yes, i second the 'all in one' section, since we have many people come in looking for that. Would preschool curriculum need its own area, perhaps?