PDA

View Full Version : Electric Can Opener

inmom
07-05-2016, 08:46 PM
OK, all you foodies. I need some recommendations. My can opener, which I received as a wedding present 26 (!!) years ago is kaput. It won't even puncture the can let alone move it in a circle. I'd use the manual opener more, but my tired old hands sometimes need a rest.

What would you recommend as a replacement? Tell my what it is and why you love it. Thanks!

TFZ
07-05-2016, 09:01 PM
At our house we open cans. We have to open many cans. And that is why we have a Zans. A Zans for cans is very good. Have you a Zans for cans? You should.
I am sorry. I cannot stop myself. We read this today.

inmom
07-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Levity is always appreciated! :o

muddylilly
07-05-2016, 09:37 PM
Bwaaa Haaa Haaa! I vote for the Zans!!

Sorry Carol, I'm of no help either. I don't like electric can openers. My mother-in-law didn't clean hers well, and so I get the heeby geebies thinking about it. I won't let one in my house. LOL.

I use this https://www.amazon.com/Kuhn-Rikon-Safety-Master-Opener/dp/B000B6NXL6/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1467765370&sr=8-5&keywords=manual+can+opener+kuhn+rikon it's awesome.

alexsmom
07-05-2016, 10:40 PM
Also not a fan of electric openers.... or cleaning up after Zans.

Have you tried nice manual can openers?

I use the OXO Good Grips one, and it is way more comfortable than the other cheapie we have floating around the house.
https://www.amazon.com/OXO-Good-Grips-Handled-Opener/dp/B00004OCJW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1467768820&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+good+grips+can+opener

It has big cushiony grips, a big turning handle, and Ive never had it come unseated from its transit around the top of the can. (Ive been using the same one for 13+ years, and I throw it in the dishwasher from time to time.... Im not exactly gentle with things.)

Not that Im trying to talk you out of what you said you want... :p

alexsmom
07-05-2016, 10:43 PM
Whoa!!!! The one ML suggests looks really cool! and It has a jar opener too!!!

ejsmom
07-05-2016, 10:46 PM
I have the OXO one that AM recommended. I've had it for years and years. It's easy to use and reliable and sturdy. I also have a Pampered Chef one that opens up the cans in such a way that there are no sharp edges. I really like that one best especially if I'm draining a can of chick peas or something, because I'm apt to cut myself. I don't know how or where I got it. My mom probably had a friend or cousin or something selling the stuff and bought it for me.

dbsam
07-05-2016, 11:24 PM
I also have a Pampered Chef one that opens up the cans in such a way that there are no sharp edges.

I have a pampered chef opener too. Mine is really old - not sure if they've changed the design much. I really like it. I have issues with my hands and horrible tennis elbow in both arms (causing pain in my forearms and wrists) but I have no problems using it.

muddylilly
07-05-2016, 11:32 PM
It's got a beer bottle opener, 2 liter bottle screw top opener, jar releaser, flip top lifter, and in it's can opening duty I just set it on the can and twist the crank lightly (for most regular sized cans)...there is no squeezing grips while trying to twist the crank. My other hand just balances the opener so the can doesn't travel too much. I really like this thing....can you tell?

Sorry Carol. I'm sure someone has a nice electric one to recommend. :)

Mariam
07-06-2016, 12:02 AM
I'm sorry, but we too use a manual can opener. Through the one ML suggests looks good.

Riceball_Mommy
07-06-2016, 12:21 AM
I have an electric one that I currently hate. I'd love to use a manual one but my hands having been off on giving me issues. ML is that one really easy to turn? Ever manual one I've ever used has been the cheapy kind that is hard to turn? That one looks super cool though I almost just hit buy looking at it.

muddylilly
07-06-2016, 02:43 AM
Yep, pretty easy.

Katrah
07-06-2016, 09:55 AM
My mother taught me a pretty neat trick when I was a kid to fix those can openers that become hard to turn and it works like a charm! You just put some food grade oil on the gears (I use olive oil, but vegetable or canola oil would work I'm sure). Works like new. You really only need a couple drops, just right on the gears and it will last for several times through the dishwasher.