PDA

View Full Version : Secular Swap has fizzled....

Topsy
11-22-2010, 08:15 AM
We began the Secular Swap section of the forum as an experiment in response to requests from members. However, it seemsl like interest in it has definitely fizzled, with most of the forums having not been active since summer! I'm considering deleting that section of the forum in lieu of a single Swap category within the main forum.

I would appreciate any feedback on this....thanks!! :cool:

Shoe
11-22-2010, 09:59 AM
I haven't got an opinion on what you do with that particular forum, Topsy, but I wonder if part of the reason it has been less active right now is that we are still early in the traditional school year and people are using the curricular materials they have right now rather than thinking about getting rid of the old and looking for next year's materials?

It seems to me that it might be more active in the summer as people are finalizing their plans for the next year, and towards the end of the school year when people are starting to finish up their current studies and looking to clear out the clutter. (Sorry that I'm not including those of you who school year round here).

Teri
11-22-2010, 12:06 PM
I agree this is the slow season for trying to get rid of things. I bet it picks up about March and goes through summer. I think one section of it would be less confusing and less likely to produce a lot of cross posting of the same items.

Miguels mommy
11-22-2010, 12:15 PM
The grades is really what gets me I have tons of stuff that didn't work for us/we used it but no longer want to keep it however most of it is classic books, plays, educational card games, and other thing that aren't really worth shipping separately. Everything ranges from 1st-late high school but I would like to give it to someone that will use everything or knows someone that will.

Wilma
11-22-2010, 05:54 PM
I think it is too fragmented with all the divisions. I would rather see one board with everything and if it is working, then divide up the grades, but even then I would keep it to 3 boards at the most.

And, while I know this is a secular board, many secular homeschoolers use religious materials. I think that is going to be a fact of life until the secular publishers do more for us. Some people just don't mind the religious content, some people consider it an unfortunate problem for seculars. Some people don't mind it in some subjects but don't like it in others, like science. Some just want nothing to do with anything religious. But we can't post anything from a religious publishers. Sometimes that is easy to figure out, but what about something like SOTW, which some loathe as being too religious, and others find it completely neutral. Many, many people think there is really nothing more comprehensive for traditional grammar than Rod & Staff. But it's Mennonite. There are plenty of good discussions here on the merits of various curricula, so I think just posting something, not editorializing in replies to any questions, and letting the buyer decide if it is right for them would be nice. I mean, our statement of what makes this board secular even says that some people here do follow a religion. I know plenty of people who secularize Sonlight, make HO religious.

If anything, this board is populate with intelligent members who can respect others curriculum choices. And there are some people, like me, who just like books about a lot of things and ideas.