PDA

View Full Version : Link to Great Article About Unschooling Minus the Labels

Topsy
03-22-2010, 03:04 PM
There's No Right Way...So Let's Lose the Insults (http://lifelearningmagazine.com/blog/2010/03/22/theres-no-right-way-so-lets-lose-the-insults/)

Snoopy
03-22-2010, 09:06 PM
You know what bugs me about that article? She wants people to stop using labels and using insults (I think people label themselves all the time one way or another and I agree with not seeing the point in insulting someone) but in that article, she's already telling me that her way is better than mine and that basically, she doesn't think that, byvirtue of not being an unschooler, my way of homeschooling has any more value than public school schooling. For someone who claims that she is of the "live and let live" persuasion, she sure sounded judgmental to me, even as she claimed to be above all that because she was simply stating her opinion. Well, I was kind of insulted by that assertion, personally.

dbmamaz
03-22-2010, 11:32 PM
if you want to set a classroom up in your spare room and teach your kids using a curriculum – evolutionary or otherwise – be my guest. I personally can’t imagine why you’d want to do that (and think it defeats the purpose of not going to school and would be happy to chat with you about what I’m sure is a better way…).
I . . . almost wonder if thats a vieled reference to my teaching evolution group, too - some unschoolers were unhappy when i added the word 'teach'. But I agree w Nathalie, that particular sentence in particular sounds pretty passive agressive or something. dont insult me. I'm better than you, but at least i'm not insulting anyone.

Hmph.

Firefly_Mom
03-25-2010, 01:52 PM
Pat Farenga was the keynote speaker at our homeschool convention last weekend, and he addressed the fact that homeschoolers - and unschoolers in particular - had such a divisiveness about the labels and falling into, or belonging to, the "right" one. He specifically addressed the RU's, and honestly, I thought for sure that there would be a heckler or two from the audience, because we have a rather large number of RU's in this area. Luckily, there wasn't a heckle to be heard, and I hope that at least one or two people understood his point in that it's not about the labels - it's about doing what's right for your family and each child within that family.

crstarlette
03-25-2010, 05:12 PM
You know what bugs me about that article? She wants people to stop using labels and using insults (I think people label themselves all the time one way or another and I agree with not seeing the point in insulting someone) but in that article, she's already telling me that her way is better than mine and that basically, she doesn't think that, byvirtue of not being an unschooler, my way of homeschooling has any more value than public school schooling. For someone who claims that she is of the "live and let live" persuasion, she sure sounded judgmental to me, even as she claimed to be above all that because she was simply stating her opinion. Well, I was kind of insulted by that assertion, personally.

I . . . almost wonder if thats a vieled reference to my teaching evolution group, too - some unschoolers were unhappy when i added the word 'teach'. But I agree w Nathalie, that particular sentence in particular sounds pretty passive agressive or something. dont insult me. I'm better than you, but at least i'm not insulting anyone.

Hmph.

:D Yep, I felt exactly the same way as I was reading that. Whatever. :rolleyes:

Snoopy
03-25-2010, 09:48 PM
it's not about the labels - it's about doing what's right for your family and each child within that family. Hear, hear, Firefly_Mom, well said!