PDA

View Full Version : putting up summer squash

RTB
06-23-2016, 03:21 PM
I have a bunch of pattypan and yelllow crookneck squash that I need to do something with (other than just grill, bake). I was thinking pickling them? Or some kind of relish? Anyone have any good recipes?

I'm a little hesitant to pickle and can them, I'm at 6,000 ft and fear the extra 10 minutes of processing time would turn them into total mush. Unless anyone else has done that and can report good results? Otherwise, I was thinking refrigerator pickles.

Other ways to put them up?

muddylilly
06-23-2016, 04:35 PM
6,000ft....that would be a problem. How about dehydrating?

ETA: you could do them "chip style" with seasoning to eat as snacks. Or grated, then dried....add to soups and spaghetti sauce later on.

RTB
06-23-2016, 05:06 PM
I like the grate and dry idea!

Artmama
06-23-2016, 06:06 PM
I grate them and freeze them in recipe size packages with other key ingredients - For example for lemon zucchini muffins I include the lemon zest and nutmeg.

dbsam
06-23-2016, 07:27 PM
I also grate and freeze yellow squash(but never thought to add additional ingredients). I use it with or instead of zucchini in breads and muffins.

RTB
06-23-2016, 08:16 PM
I grate them and freeze them in recipe size packages with other key ingredients - For example for lemon zucchini muffins I include the lemon zest and nutmeg.

Lemon zucchini muffins!? Recipe please?

Luv2HS
06-24-2016, 07:49 AM
"Lemon zucchini muffins!? Recipe please?"

Yes, I'd like recipe, too. Artmama, how long do they keep in freezer?

RTB, this sounds good if you like curry: Curried Squash Soup Recipe - Bon App (http://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/curried-squash-soup). I

Lwolfsperger
06-27-2016, 12:01 PM
I put ours in wherever I can! Spaghetti sauce, fried rice, any time I need a thickener I will grate it fine and add it to it. I will grate it and freeze it this way I have it over the winter also to add. I don't care for pickled squash and I attempted to pressure can it but it was so much like mush that we couldn't eat it. The chickens loved it though!

RTB
06-27-2016, 02:00 PM
Oh in fried rice! I like that idea!

I made it into lemon bread - it made the bread so pretty - such a sunny color and everyone ate it up. I did make 3 pints of water bath pickles - just to see if how they will work. I figure I can dice them up and put them in chow chow at worst case. They sure did can pretty though, with rings of red bell peppers, and onions in the mix.

I'm waiting for the second round to come off the plants, then I'm going to try dehydrating it, and the fried rice.

Thanks for the ideas everyone!

darkelf
06-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Canning Summer Squash normally leaves mush..... It can be done, but most people don't like it.

We grate and freeze it. I will also make and freeze zucchini bread.