PDA

View Full Version : Books - Read Alouds

pdpele
05-26-2016, 09:01 PM
Favorite read aloud books? There are so many classic lists, and medal winners (Newberry, etc.) but I wondered what "chaper books" do you all love?

I have a DS - 8 almost 9. These will be read-alouds (I read to him) so reading level does not matter. But any age range will be interesting.

My motivation is that we have had some duds lately. "Classics" or "Modern classic award winners" that were...boring...or just too dated, somehow. Like the references were too hard to get for DS...me too sometimes. Some books stand up to time...Charlotte's Web or Trumpet of the Swans or Stone Fox (which still had issues with portrayal of the Native American key character...) for instance. But some...don't. Also, I've noticed the sort of dated kind of prejudice/sexism. Like, maybe the book was a Newberry Honor book b/c it portrayed minority groups positively.... for a book published in 1965! But I don't want to have to explain to DS why it would be considered weird for a girl to want to be an archaeologist - but isn't now (!) in a book we're reading just for fun/literature.

But don't let my comments restrict your suggestions - I'm just looking for chapter book suggestions for read-alouds that y'all enjoyed.

I really don't care about "twaddle" DS reads some not great literature -no worries - light reads are great sometimes. But for stuff here I'm not really thinking about Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Magic Treehouse or the like.

JenWrites
05-26-2016, 09:44 PM
Man, we LOVED reading the Ramona books aloud together. Way before we were even homeschooling, those were books we loved. They do have some dated references, but for my money, Beverly Cleary stands the test of time. Also, Ivy + Bean.

Right now we're reading Shooting the Moon, which has been good, and a quick, easy read. I also pretty much always recommend the Gregor the Overlander series. My daughter absolutely TORE through those.

inmom
05-26-2016, 09:47 PM
Phantom Toll Booth and Wee Free Men are two that immediately come to mind as my kids really, really liking when I read them aloud.

Also some of the Narnia series.

KittyP
05-26-2016, 10:34 PM
This is my list I have going for Kiddo. We probably won't read most of these, not this year anyways, because we're powering through Animorphs first, but it may give you some ideas.

Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Enchanted Forest Chronicles
Wee Free Men
Carpet People
A Blink of the Screen
The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents
Doctor Proctor's Fart Powder
100 Cupboards
The Hobbit/LotR
Academy of Fear
Curiosity House: The Shrunken Head
Here There Be Monsters
Red Dwarf
The Borrowers (Kiddo loved this story)
The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place
The Mysterious Benedict Society
I, Houdini
Holes
Anything by Roald Dahl
The Halloween Tree
Half Magic
The Neverending Story
Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIHM
Indian in the Cupboard
The Graveyard Book
Coraline (Kiddo loves this story)
Hatchet
Taco Cat
Peter Pan
Wizard of Oz
Peter and the Starcatcher
Inkheart

There are a few others we've already read that I can't remember the names of. We cycle through books pretty rapidly and most of them are random library finds.

Elly
05-26-2016, 11:01 PM
I've been thinking along similar lines, and my DS is about the same age as yours. This list is one I put together for the next year or so, in addition to the BYL 4 ones we haven't yet read: https://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/3IU31EALQBLGS/ref=topnav_lists_3

He's also recently enjoyed:
- Roald Dahl (he really liked the Witches and Matilda)
- How to train your dragon
- The Penderwicks (we're currently waiting for book 2!)
- Dick King-Smith
- Where the Mountain Meets the Moon (and Starry River of the Sky)
- Narnia (we did on audiobook)

Can't think of other ones off the top of my head!

Elly

alexsmom
05-27-2016, 12:28 AM
Phantom Toll Booth and Wee Free Men are two that immediately come to mind as my kids really, really liking when I read them aloud.

Also some of the Narnia series.

INMom, did you read Wee Free Men with a festive Nac Mac Feegle voice?

Luv2HS
05-27-2016, 05:07 AM
Indian in the Cupboard
Stuart Little
Rabbit Hill (kids thought this one was hilrarious; yes, dated, but good)
Entire Chronicles of Narnia (did this 2x at kids' request; about a year apart)

Lauren Child picture books especially (in order):
Who's Afraid of the Big, Bad Book (read this every night when dd was 8 for months lol)
I Will Not Ever Eat a Tomato
But Excuse Me That is My Book
This is Actually My Party
Sizzles is Not Here
**We did not like her Clarice Bean books...I love the creative artwork.

inmom
05-27-2016, 06:16 AM
INMom, did you read Wee Free Men with a festive Nac Mac Feegle voice?

Of course I did. That was the best part for the kids!

I could never do a read aloud with just a normal voice.

pdpele
05-27-2016, 12:40 PM
Y'all are so full of awesome suggestions! That's a great list Elly! I should've mentioned Dahl - we love him! Witches and James and the Giant Peach were awesome. We should try Matilda. Thinking about BFG with the movie coming out - but I want to read it first. 'Course DS rejected the James and the Giant Peach movie - he couldn't stand the cartoon-y aspect and the fact that the aunts weren't flattened.

Kitty that looks like a great lineup. And thanks for the picture book suggestions too - we still love good picture books!

Never heard of some of these - Off to do some research...

B&Z Mama
05-27-2016, 10:43 PM
We really love all the animal stories by Thornton Burgess, the Moomintroll books, the Children of Green Knowe. For me, a read aloud is only really good if I enjoy reading it.

Artmama
05-27-2016, 11:22 PM
We recently started reading longer chapter books after a successful test run with the Princess in Black series. The Mouse and the Motorcycle was great! We are reading James and the Giant Peach now.

pdpele
05-28-2016, 09:39 AM
Yes - B&Z mama - we ditched our first chapter book a few chapters in when we were both bored to tears! Children of Green Knowe looks like it might be ds' speed...thanks!

Riceball_Mommy
05-28-2016, 10:29 AM
We do a lot of read alouds and audio books. When she listens to the audio books I also read the book so we can discuss.
Wings of Fire series (I've really enjoyed this and I'm excited to get into the next book, for us it's Winter Turning, have to finish another book first)
Tales of the Wide-Awake Princess (The first couple of have audio books but now I'm reading aloud the latest one, puts a nice twist on Sleeping Beauty)
Spirit Animals (this one was a bit harder to get through at times, Teemie loved the whole series though)

I gave Teemie her own goodreads profile to keep track of her reviews and to-read list: https://www.goodreads.com/princessteemie (https://www.goodreads.com/princessteemie)