PDA

View Full Version : rough day - lack of motivation

jlmom
11-16-2010, 03:26 PM
I guess I just need to vent a little, or to hear that I'm not the only one going through this! My dd is 6 and went to kindergarten last year, so there are days when she just wants to go to school and be with her friends. I try to explain to her that even if she were at school she would be in a different class with different kids and a different teacher. When she talks like this sometimes I feel like I'm failing her. I don't question that this is the best thing for her, but I wish she could somehow see that. Obviously a 6 year old isn't going to realize that this is best for her and her future, all she sees is that she's not getting 15 minutes of recess to play with her friends. How can I keep her motivated? Even if she doesn't mention school, there are times when all she wants to do is play with her brother (3) or watch TV. I don't like to admit it, but I've tried explaining our reasoning, I've tried bribery, threats, etc. (even though that's obviously not the best case scenario). I'm just having a frustrating couple of days. Thanks for listening to me vent.

Emerald
11-16-2010, 03:43 PM
I have rough days, too, and am always so grateful that I can look through other posts and see that other people have some of the same issues that I do!

I dual-enrolled my son, so he still gets to go to the school a little bit every day to see some of his friends, but then sometimes he complains that the other kids don't like him. Other times he complains that they are doing projects that he's not doing. I try to point out that he's doing projects that they aren't doing, too, but that doesn't seem to soothe him! Even other times, I won't let him go to the public school, because he wasn't focusing/concentrating on his work and then he's upset that he doesn't get to go!

It's definitely frustrating.

wild_destiny
11-16-2010, 03:49 PM
I hope it gets better for you, jlmom! :) It sounds like your daughter is only missing her friends and not the whole school experience. Maybe you could plan some frequent playtime after school hours with some of her old school friends? Or see if there are any appropriate homeschool friends near your area that would be up for some regular fun events or playtime. If you are battling a home/public school scenario, but have already determined that the home is the best option for your family, then maybe now would be a good time to temporarily delay your normal homeschool routine and go for something with more "wow". Make a point to get out and do things that she would not normally be able to do if she went to public school, so that she will feel like it is great to be homeschooling, not that she is missing out on fun stuff. Hope this helps and good luck! You are not alone! :)

InstinctiveMom
11-16-2010, 06:04 PM
It must be Monday :)
We get that, too... on days like that, you kinda have 2 choices. You can either power through it or go for a complete change of scenery. We've done both and it really is a toss-up on which way works better for us. When they're just not 'able' to focus, then we change the setting or adapt our lesson plan to something more dynamic, or change the scenery entirely by hitting the park or library or something.
When they're just being lazy and not 'wanting' to cooperate, then I usually power through and try to get them into something a little more 'out of their seat'.
I do find that when we keep media to a minimum (TV, video games, etc), they're less likely to be scatterbrained... we don't watch TV on school days and it's limited on other days.

Deanna has some great suggestions, too - it's been a struggle for my boys (they were in school for over a year) to deal with having only each other for company most of the time. They miss their friends and it's been difficult to coordinate schedules with school friends now that they're off the radar, so to speak. I make the effort to arrange playdates after school hours and on weekends, to keep in touch with my kids' friends' parents via Facebook and invite them to birthday parties and such just so that they don't forget about us! :)

We're also active in our local homeschooling group and co-op, which helps tremendously. Do you have something like that in your area that will net more social opportunities?
~h

hockeymom
11-16-2010, 07:23 PM
I've never heard the "I miss school" thing from my son, but we definitely have days he's just not able or willing to be present to pay attention to schoolwork. It's easy enough to give the advice to get out of your routine--go to a museum! go to the park! get together with other homeschoolers! (and I am *so* guilty of giving the advice I can't take myself!)--but if you just don't have those things available, it's awfully hard to plow through. Some days I make him get through our "must do" work, other days I let him play with his matchbox cars until he's bored out of his mind. So I don't have advice, but definitely know that you have my sympathy!

dbmamaz
11-16-2010, 07:37 PM
lol my problem is the days that _I_ feel too sick to do school. Yesterday and today i wasnt up for it and just gave up (aside from more of the walking with dino series and martail arts yesterday). I feel like such a failure then, but with my health issues and my 14 yo's mental health issues and a mild leaning towards unschooling . . . i'm pretty sure i'm not ruining them for life.

camaro
11-18-2010, 10:29 AM
Mitchell has asked to go back to school in the past. When asked why he said he misses his friends. Sadly almost all his friends have moved away and he'd be the only child in his grade now. It's tough to find opportunities for our boys to hangout with other kids when you live in the country. It's better now that we're back into gymnastics and swimming lessons. Mitchell also had an opportunity to read with kids at the school last week. His younger brothers had speech therapy there and while Carla and Mitchell were waiting the Grade 4 teacher asked him if he wanted to come and read out loud with the other Grade 4 kids in the library which he really enjoyed.

camaro
11-18-2010, 10:41 AM
I've never heard the "I miss school" thing from my son, but we definitely have days he's just not able or willing to be present to pay attention to schoolwork. It's easy enough to give the advice to get out of your routine--go to a museum! go to the park! get together with other homeschoolers! (and I am *so* guilty of giving the advice I can't take myself!)--but if you just don't have those things available, it's awfully hard to plow through. Some days I make him get through our "must do" work, other days I let him play with his matchbox cars until he's bored out of his mind. So I don't have advice, but definitely know that you have my sympathy!

I am so with you, hockeymom! My three boys are so far away from being the "I want to do school types" so most days are a struggle which has been one of the main reasons we have an informal schedule of school work. It's just easier than fighting every day. I just hope that someday they suddenly wake up and want to do school work!

Oh and we're also one of those families living in the boonies an hour or two of driving from most activities. We have a small library in our little town which helps but the boys are bringing home the same books all the time! But I'm hoping to get us to the Saskatchewan Science Center soon because they've just renovated the IMAX theater there and they're now showing Hubble 3D which I'm dying to see and I know the boys would love to see it, too.

outskirtsofbs
11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
I'm right there with Camero--We are in the boonies, too--we are "in town" but we are out in the boonies as far as opportunities, resources--there just isn't anything here. But, of course, I still keep looking. And I usually have to threaten to take away dd computer time to get her to pay attention alot of the time. We have to keep it pretty structured because if I didn't I'd never get her to the table in the first place. There are "those days".

hockeymom
11-18-2010, 11:54 AM
David, that sounds likes like a great opportunity for Mitchell, to be able to read to a class. Is there any chance to make it a regular thing, or...? Anyway, it was very open minded of the school to let him do that.

That IMAX movie sounds amazing--we'd love to see it too!

shanajo
11-24-2010, 11:39 AM
lol my problem is the days that _I_ feel too sick to do school. Yesterday and today i wasnt up for it and just gave up (aside from more of the walking with dino series and martail arts yesterday). I feel like such a failure then, but with my health issues and my 14 yo's mental health issues and a mild leaning towards unschooling . . . i'm pretty sure i'm not ruining them for life.

Cara, I have health issues that make things tough some days too. Some days I force myself to push through and "do" school, but other days I just can't do it. Or some days I have to lay down and take a nap in the afternoon, which I feel horribly guilty about every time, because I feel like I'm neglecting my kids.

Right now my health seem almost incompatible with home schooling, but yet I feel so very confident in our decision to homeschool. Despite any of the "problems" that we've had, I know we are meant to homeschool. I feel like I just need to find a way to overcome this challenge and make things work, along with all of the other challenges. It's a huge reason why I want to lean into the unschooling side of things.