PDA

View Full Version : When school kids are on holiday or break...

Hampchick
11-11-2010, 07:07 PM
We live in a very active neighborhood so today (Veteran's Day) DS broke down in tears when he heard the other kids outside playing while he was doing school work. I decided to make it a short day but I feel like this is going to be a struggle for us.

Made me wonder what everyone does, or if it's even an issue for you.

dbmamaz
11-11-2010, 07:22 PM
My kids tend to ignore the school kids most of the time on the weekend, too, and some of our best freinds are either radical unschoolers or unscheduled enough to be free all the time. So I dont bend on those. But today, dh was home . . . i treated it like a weekend for us all. Even tho I meant to watch another 'walking with prehistoric beasts' episode . . .

The thing is, you can decide when to take holidays and when not to. You could ask them to do some work after dinner, like homework, to make up for it. Or you could do some school during the summer (half days) to make up what you didnt finish.

flexibility is the key to homeschooling - make it work for you and your family.

schwartzkari
11-11-2010, 08:29 PM
We are moving into our new house soon. We've lived in an apartment for the last 7 years, have been homeschooling for 3 years. In our new neighborhood there is another homeschooling family directly across the street from us, otherwise, the local elementary school is going to be across the street from our house. As of right now, we do not follow the public school calendar. The only time it applies to us, is when my daughter's dance studio closes (because the dance studio follows the public school calendar). I am concerned that once we move into our new neighborhood, my daughter might start asking why she doesn't get days off like public school kids, lol. We homeschool 5 days a week, weekends off. Anytime a national holiday pops up on the calendar, I usually turn it into a mini unit study instead of taking the holiday off.

allisonsracquet
11-11-2010, 08:44 PM
My daughter attends a private school, and I homeschool my son. He asked today if he didn't have school...I told him that he did have school. He had a moment of disappointment, but he got over it. I also broke it to him that we would be continuing school over the holiday...after first he complained a bit, but my consistent answer is, "hey bud, I am doing this for you. And truthfully, you really do like to learn." And I always remind him, education is not a punishment, it is a gift! Really, without some schooling activities in the morning, he would spend too much time watching TV or getting into some type of trouble!
I've got some bad news for her to, because over the holiday break she has some things she really needs to work on as well. She usually does make some pretty responsible choices (she reads a lot, plays her instruments often, knits), but I will just remind her she needs to set a good example for her brother.
My son has two boys across the street he likes playing with (they both go to public school). They have just come to understand he has school, sports, and music. But he usually gets to play with them a few times a week.
I love the idea of working at night or half days if the other kids are a distraction...it really is about what works for you.

Dm379
11-11-2010, 10:55 PM
We live directly across the street from a pool. Right behind it is a playground. The kids can see their friends kids playing and having fun every single time they looked out the window. It's torture for them sometimes. When ps is out we typically do a couple of hours in the early morning and then a few more in the late afternoon or after dinner. As long as they do their work without complaint, I'm not picky about it being at certain times of the day. If the weather is bad on the weekends we usually make those a school day so that they're ahead when ps is out.

hockeymom
11-12-2010, 06:13 AM
We don't have any kids in our neighborhood so it's a not an issue. But since my husband gets all holidays off, we end up taking the days off too.

wild_destiny
11-12-2010, 09:07 AM
We generally just follow the public school calendar (since I still have one daughter that is in public school), but we try to be pretty flexible anyway. On the rare occasions around our house when there are other kids in the area that my guys know, I encourage them to go play for a while.

farrarwilliams
11-12-2010, 09:58 AM
We do school so early in the morning that it wouldn't make such a difference for us. We could do our hour or two of school and the kids would have the rest of the day... But we also don't have to deal with it so much because the kids don't have neighborhood friends. Heck, we usually do school on the weekends because dh works weekends - then we take a day off at another time.

Teri
11-12-2010, 10:02 AM
That's not an issue for us, but if they had a lot of friends in the neighborhood and wanted to play, I would probably be ok with having a holiday.
As it is, we tend to hole up when there is a school holiday so that we can go out and about when everyone is in school. :lol: Opposite world.

outskirtsofbs
11-12-2010, 10:07 AM
Unfortunately, I'm with hockeymom--There are no other children on this block--I have rescheduled school so dd could go play with whoever when the few occasions have come up. I wish it would happen more often. But here, even if you can find some other kids, I really have to watch them because if they are in ps they are mean.

Hampchick
11-12-2010, 12:53 PM
It seems like we are somewhat unusual in having a bunch of schooled friends to play with, and they play essentially every day after school and on weekends as it is. I don't mind him having occasional random days off, but we're already really flexible about our time because of my husband's schedule. He works a lot of nights and weekends and his shifts are 12 hours - 3-4 times a week so I try to schedule time off from school during the week when we can all be together. BUT he also wants weekends off so he has maximum time for friends. I can see I'm going to have to give this some more thought and come up with a better plan with him so we don't get drawn into this discussion every time the neighborhood friends are out. Thanks for all the replies so far! It's good to have other people to bounce these things off now and then.

jettyspagetti
11-12-2010, 02:42 PM
We usually take off for school holidays. If its a non school day the neighborhood kids start showing up right after breakfast. During extended holidays and summer break my rule is no one over until after lunchtime. That way chores get done and reading is done, but on holidays I relax the rules. We don't school year round although we are geared towards learning most of the time so many of our days "off" are pretty educational and I've frequently printed off worksheets and done science experiments or other projects with my kids and their PS friends.

Miguels mommy
11-13-2010, 01:40 PM
It depends on how HS is going for us. On weekdays he tries to finish by 2:30 but the new rule is if you knock before 4pm we wont answer. That gives him extra time if he doesn't need it he's out at 2:30. I don't see him again until 7-8ish when all his friends go into go to bed. DH doesn't get home until 8:30 pm. So we have late dinner. Holidays we have a regular schedule and I explain that his friends spend more time doing work on normal days then he does. We also school on weekends but this is before the kids knock on the door and after they go inside for the night. We try to treat holidays like we treat weekends. When someone knocks you can go but until then you'll do some work.