PDA

View Full Version : Mandoline question

dbsam
04-24-2016, 01:19 AM
I am considering purchasing a mandoline.
I currently use a knife or manual food chopper for everything. Sometimes I want grated veggies (e.g. carrot salad) and I thought it might be nice to use a mandoline instead of a knife. OTOH, it isn't difficult using a knife; maybe I am just being lazy!

Those of you who have tried one, do you like it? Is it worth it? If yes, do you have a recommendation? I am considering this one: Swissmar Borner V Power Mandoline V-7000. It has good reviews and was not made in China. I prefer stainless steel over plastic but it seems as though most of the stainless versions still have plastic parts.

TIA

Shoe
04-24-2016, 08:18 AM
Working in the ER, I see a surprising number of mandolin injuries (for real!). Usually these are the tips of fingers that have been shaved off. If you get one, you might consider also getting one of the protective gloves that are made for professional cooks (I don't have one, but I have seen Some that look like chain mail and I think there are other varieties). They can be costly, but so can an Emergency Room visit.

I like my mandolin, and have found that it makes everything cook better and evenly because the food pieces are all one thickness, but it doesn't speed things up for me because I go slow to avoid the injuries mentioned above.

TFZ
04-24-2016, 08:43 AM
I loved mine - just a cheapie plastic one - but DH feared it. He tossed it when DS was old enough to reach up and grab stuff. I miss it. It made slicing so much easier. My knife skills suck.

dbsam
04-24-2016, 09:42 AM
Working in the ER, I see a surprising number of mandolin injuries (for real!). Usually these are the tips of fingers that have been shaved off. If you get one, you might consider also getting one of the protective gloves that are made for professional cooks (I don't have one, but I have seen Some that look like chain mail and I think there are other varieties). They can be costly, but so can an Emergency Room visit.

I like my mandolin, and have found that it makes everything cook better and evenly because the food pieces are all one thickness, but it doesn't speed things up for me because I go slow to avoid the injuries mentioned above.

I would definitely get the glove. I've read about cut fingertips. ...and i am prone to accidents.

alexsmom
04-24-2016, 10:05 AM
Do you have recipes in mind (other than carrot salad) that you would use it for? I bought the oxo good grips one years ago, and cant even remember the last time i used it or what for. The hand guard thing was just too cumbersome to use. But Ive never tried making potato chips, either.

Most of the time, a knife works fine for me, although I bring out a couple of food processors and graters and chop wizards when Im feeling lazy or industrious.
For carrot salad, Id probably use the small setting on the hand grater, or run it through the food processor if I was making that much.

Mariam
04-24-2016, 12:13 PM
I love using the mandoline for the same reasons of TFZ. My knife skills suck.

It allows for even cutting. No it does not save time, as I go slow and it has to be cleaned, which takes more time.

dbsam
04-24-2016, 12:19 PM
Do you have recipes in mind (other than carrot salad) that you would use it for? I bought the oxo good grips one years ago, and cant even remember the last time i used it or what for. The hand guard thing was just too cumbersome to use. But Ive never tried making potato chips, either.

Most of the time, a knife works fine for me, although I bring out a couple of food processors and graters and chop wizards when Im feeling lazy or industrious.
For carrot salad, Id probably use the small setting on the hand grater, or run it through the food processor if I was making that much.

That was my hesitation to order it last night; I'm not sure what else I would make with it. It was a late night impulse thought...I read a few great carrot recipes and thought..."I need one of these!". I could probably save the $50 and clutter in the kitchen. We eat a lot of chopped veggie salads and I am fine with a knife or manual chopper. I don't have a food processor. When I grate carrots by hand I think they are too thin and get soggy so I end up chopping them instead because I like more crunch.

I need to stay away from late night online shopping!

dbsam
04-24-2016, 12:19 PM
I love using the mandoline for the same reasons of TFZ. My knife skills suck.

It allows for even cutting. No it does not save time, as I go slow and it has to be cleaned, which takes more time.

I have pretty good knife skills. Maybe I'll skip it.

I just mentioned the potential purchase to my husband and he winced...he knows how accident prone I am. I get hurt all the time; luckily it is nothing permanent like loosing a finger tip.

muddylilly
04-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Yeah, just extra clutter generally speaking. I use a knife or the attachment on my food processor.

With that said.....I have one that I only pull out to slice apples or veggies evenly for canning/pickling. Knife is too slow if I want it even, and food processor is too wasteful. It's the only reason I have one.

But yeah you need to be really careful.

alexsmom
04-24-2016, 01:40 PM
No food processors!? Wow!

I have a big cuisinart that I will go nuts with once Ive bothered to take it out. Goes through a head of cabbage in about 30 seconds, a block of cheese in less rhan a minute, onions like nobodys business (Id chop onions, carrots, celery for the week all at once)...Once I get it out, nothing is safe from it. So fun to use!

I also bought one of those immersion blender kits (like this one but cheaper)
Amazon.com: Ovente HS585B Robust Stainless Steel Immersion Hand Blender with Beaker, Whisk Attachment and Food Chopper, Black: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Ovente-HS585B-Stainless-Immersion-Attachment/dp/B00SGGIQPQ/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1461515350&sr=1-17&keywords=immersion+blender)

It has a mini-food processor attachment that is awesome for bread crumbs and nuts!

Gotta admit I love them more than my kitchenaid stand mixer.

dbsam
04-24-2016, 01:47 PM
No food processors!? Wow!

I have a big cuisinart that I will go nuts with once Ive bothered to take it out. Goes through a head of cabbage in about 30 seconds, a block of cheese in less rhan a minute, onions like nobodys business (Id chop onions, carrots, celery for the week all at once)...Once I get it out, nothing is safe from it. So fun to use!

I also bought one of those immersion blender kits (like this one but cheaper)
Amazon.com: Ovente HS585B Robust Stainless Steel Immersion Hand Blender with Beaker, Whisk Attachment and Food Chopper, Black: Home & Kitchen (http://www.amazon.com/Ovente-HS585B-Stainless-Immersion-Attachment/dp/B00SGGIQPQ/ref=sr_1_17?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1461515350&sr=1-17&keywords=immersion+blender)

It has a mini-food processor attachment that is awesome for bread crumbs and nuts!

Gotta admit I love them more than my kitchenaid stand mixer.

I was looking at food processors last night too :o. I had a Cuisunart mini-prep and never used it so I donated it. But that was back when I worked all the time so I didn't cook much. Some people say they use their Vitamix like a food processor, but I'm not sure how that would work. We mostly use it for smoothies and salad dressing.

I have a basic Zyliss food chopper that I bought 25 years ago...I use it when I am feeling lazy and have a lot to chop. It still works great.

dottieanna29
04-24-2016, 02:05 PM
Dh has the Oxo one and loves it. He makes sliced potatoes or shredded potatoes a lot. We've also used it to slice cucumbers when making pickles. I've used it once or twice but I am super-strict about using the guide every single time, because I am accident prone. If used properly, it's much safer than a knife in my case.

ejsmom
04-24-2016, 02:13 PM
I also vote for food processor. I use it for so much - making pie crust in an instant, shredding or slicing potatoes, shredding cheese, veggies like cabbage, cucumber, carrots, jicame get shredded or sliced for slaws and salads, throwing together hummus for a quick dip (which we seem to go through very quickly). I probably use mine 3 times a week, at least. It pops right in the dishwasher, too, so not much mess to clean up. I had my last one die on Christmas Eve a few years ago, and the day after Christmas I went out to replace it.

dbsam
04-24-2016, 02:14 PM
Dh has the Oxo one and loves it. He makes sliced potatoes or shredded potatoes a lot. We've also used it to slice cucumbers when making pickles. I've used it once or twice but I am super-strict about using the guide every single time, because I am accident prone. If used properly, it's much safer than a knife in my case.

My kids have been asking if we could make home made hash browns. I never thought of using it for potatoes.

When we make pickles, I just use a knife.

dbsam
04-24-2016, 02:18 PM
I think I may need a food processor. I hate shredding cheese. I'm usually lazy and just cut it into little chunks.

While we're on the topic of slicing and dicing. Does anyone know what this is? My dad was the cook in our family. When he died, my mom gave me this and it has been in my pantry for ten years. I've never tried to use it and am not sure what I would do with it.

Food processor recommendations would be appreciated!

dbsam
04-24-2016, 02:29 PM
I'm so excited, this thread made me pull out the contraption from my dad. I put it together and it is so easy (ok...maybe not as easy as a food processor!). I just shredded cheese! I'm not sure what I would do with all the attachments, but I think I will go through the kitchen today and see what else I can run through this thing.

TFZ
04-24-2016, 02:35 PM
From reading this it has become clear that I have no idea how to use my food processor.

alexsmom
04-24-2016, 02:45 PM
Well you have 11yos... I suppose they could crank that manual food processor! Did you find out what all the attachments do?

If you do decide on an electric processor, I recommend one that 1) is dishwasherable, and 2) that you dont need to go through a pain in the ass procedure to get it *locked* into place so it will go on.
All those fiddley-bits and stuff have to line up. NO MATTER WHAT. If the spring-tension pin doesnt go into the hole at the bottom, the whole thing wont work.
You may be more mechanically saavy than I am, but this is all that dampens my joy when it comes to the Cuisinart.

dbsam
04-24-2016, 02:54 PM
Well you have 11yos... I suppose they could crank that manual food processor! Did you find out what all the attachments do?

I just called my mom. She said it belonged to her dad originally. She said she is not sure all the things my dad used it for but she knows he used it to slice when he canned pickles, beets, etc. and when he made sliced potatoes for frying, hash browns, etc. Now she wants to give me his big electric slicer and my grandma's meat grinder that is over 100 years old! We are vegetarian but my daughter recently decided to eat meat...I don't think I will be grinding my own sausage!

muddylilly
04-24-2016, 03:21 PM
looks like you got two "straight" slicers in two different widths, a grater and then slicers that give a fancy "wavy" cut....for pickles or "ruffles-like" potato chips. COOL! I love old kitchen gadgets :)

Sausage is EASY! And remember you don't have to stuff them in casing to make links. You can always use it loose for spaghetti sauces and stuff. Or make patties for breakfast!

ejsmom
04-24-2016, 04:28 PM
This is the food processor I have Amazon.com: KitchenAid KFP0922CU 9-Cup Food Processor with Exact Slice System - Contour Silver: Kitchen & Dining (http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KFP0922CU-9-Cup-Processor-System/dp/B0060WSVVC/ref=sr_1_46?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1461525438&sr=1-46)
This is the large 9 cup model but there is a smaller less expensive model, too.

It works great for us. If you look through the pictures you can see all the many options for blades and slicing/shredding.
The reason I purchased this one is because of those options and because it has an inset tube on the top with a tiny hole so that you can drizzle in oils without any effort. You pour your oil in the tube and it drizzles itself in while you blend. That was important for me because my son had a soy allergy and getting mayo without soy in it is difficult and/or expensive. This way I could make mayonnaise. But I discovered the drizzle feature is really nice for adding cold water to pie crust dough, oil to hummus, oils to homemade salad dressing, oil and or cream to fresh tomatoes for a quick pasta sauce, etc.

Dbsam - how cool is that! You have a food processor already and didn't know it. Since you were mainly interested in slicing/shredding and not blending, that should perfectly meet your needs. That's awesome. Enjoy it and let us know what you make.

Shoe
04-24-2016, 04:53 PM
That was my hesitation to order it last night; I'm not sure what else I would make with it. It was a late night impulse thought...
I need to stay away from late night online shopping!

Oh, do I know the hazards of late night television infomercials and on-line ads! I own almost every As Seen On TV product, though I am getting better about it...I still buy them, but in stores rather than the late night telephone calls. Saves me a bit of money as I no longer purchase all the add-ons that the telemarketers want to sell you.

dottieanna29
04-24-2016, 05:01 PM
I think I may need a food processor. I hate shredding cheese. I'm usually lazy and just cut it into little chunks.

While we're on the topic of slicing and dicing. Does anyone know what this is? My dad was the cook in our family. When he died, my mom gave me this and it has been in my pantry for ten years. I've never tried to use it and am not sure what I would do with it.
http://www.secularhomeschool.com/attachments/cooking-and-recipes/4191-mandoline-question-dsc_0295-jpg

Food processor recommendations would be appreciated!

Some of the pieces look like a meat grinder - for making sausage filling or ground meat.

B&Z Mama
04-24-2016, 07:48 PM
I have one that I use for one thing - slicing really thin potato slices. I make a lasagna with them. I have decent knife skills (worked in a kitchen at one point) but I can't get uniform, super thin potato slices without a mandoline. I have the pampered chef one, and it has a guard that has prevented my clumsy self from injury.

skrink
04-24-2016, 10:56 PM
I bought an inexpensive mandolin for making kraut and other ferments. I love my food processor but I hate washing it, and although my knife skills aren't terrible, finely slicing many heads of cabbage with my chef's knife gets flipping OLD. And yes, I use The Glove. I am way accident-prone and have seen the inside of enough ERs to last me a while.

skrink
04-24-2016, 10:59 PM
And I think that's a food mill.