PDA

View Full Version : PEERS social skills for ASD

skrink
04-19-2016, 08:51 AM
I was wondering if anyone can tell me about this program. I saw some info posted on an autism group on FB and have started to look into it for dd. I can't find a lot of specifics but did locate a group that will be offering PEERS over the summer. It seems to be well regarded but... It's pricey, it's far for us, AND there's been some mention of a link to Autism Speaks (not a positive, for those who aren't familiar), so I am not sure how hard to pursue this. Has anyone tried the program or know anyone who has?

artemis74
04-19-2016, 10:31 PM
I have an 11 year old dd with aspergers so I am definately following. Have not heard of this program.

dbsam
04-19-2016, 11:32 PM
I haven't heard of it but I am also following this thread.

When my daughter had her neuro-psych eval when she was young they suggested she take a social skills class. We couldn't find anything in our area. There was one group, but they said she was too functional for their group. (I was told it wouldn't be a good fit and it probably wouldn't be of help to my daughter.) Although my daughter has come a long way and has been doing pretty well socially, there are times I think she could benefit from something like this.

LKnomad
04-20-2016, 02:21 PM
Sorry I don't know much about the group. I tried for years to find a social skills group for for my son but he really wasn't interested and nothing ever really fit him well. To high functioning, even though he rarely socialized. It was tough. He is now starting to socialize, and he is 17 and headed to college, but he would not really help himself until he was ready. He now has friends and a social group buy only since last year. When I asked him what helped, what therapies, classes, activities, made the difference in getting him from where he was to where he is now, he told me quite honestly, nothing. Nothing we did or tried. He just decided it was time to try to make it work.

Mariam
04-21-2016, 11:34 AM
LKnomad - I am wondering the same thing with DS. Maybe it will just take time.

I am always wondering if I tried something else out, but he does not like much of it, especially those that involve other people. He will try new things with me, but that is it.

With time I hope many things get better and your comment supports that.

skrink
04-21-2016, 12:53 PM
I talked with the people running the program. It's set up as a classroom, not as a typical social skills group, so there's not a lot of interaction. The parents must take a separate class at the same time so they can learn to coach in the particular skills being covered. Homework is where the magic happens, apparently. We're going next week for the intake and I hope to get a better feel for everything. I asked about functioning level and peers, but it sounds like by the way it's structured that's less important than it would be normally. Basically all that's required is that your child be able to communicate and if in PS they must be mainstreamed. So, I really don't know.

It's funny, we just found a group that dd has been taking part in for a few weeks now. It's all about team building, and they use a super hero cartoon crew to highlight positive and negative behaviors. Dd rolls her eyes when she talks about it - seems young for her age group - but she has met a potential friend there and is excited about that. Still, I'm not sure it there will be long lasting benefits to this approach, which is why I keep looking. If we do PEERS there will be a one week overlap. Feast or famine! I've been looking high and low for years. Up 'til now we've had one dud and one borderline abusive situation, and that was it. Dd is very interested in pursuing everything. She wants friends, tries hard, but inevitably does something out of the ordinary and gets shunned. Young teen girls are a tough crowd. :( She also has been turned away from some programs that she wants badly to be a part of, and social deficits were a big part of why she didn't get accepted. Learning to function socially is just too important to let it happen by chance. I'm very glad she wants to try - I can't see forcing this and having it work.

LKnomad
04-21-2016, 08:25 PM
LKnomad - I am wondering the same thing with DS. Maybe it will just take time.

I am always wondering if I tried something else out, but he does not like much of it that involves other people. He will try new things with me, but that is it.

With time I have many things get better and you comment supports that.

There are some kids who crave socialization and some who crave solitude. Kids on the spectrum come in both flavors just like NTs. That is what was hard for me to accept. My son found his group in his own time, but it took finding people with similar interests and temperaments. My son sprained his ankle last night. When I texted him to say I was coming to pick him up from school and he said not to worry zyx was driving him home, I was so shocked I called my husband to tell him. The change is slow, but it comes.