PDA

View Full Version : Just a homeschooling check-in from our members

Topsy
03-22-2016, 08:49 AM
http://www.secularhomeschool.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4119&stc=1

This is absolutely just a curiosity-killer...a way to check in to see what stage of homeschooling our member base is in right now. Knowing this will help us better target resources your way. Please drop in your answer below, and if it's been a while since you said "howdy" to other site members, feel free to do that in the comments!

inmom
03-22-2016, 09:55 AM
As the signature says, we're in our 11th, but last, year of homeschooling. I'll be a homeschool alumnus in two short months!!

Mariam
03-22-2016, 10:20 AM
We are in our third year of homeschooling. As accidental homeschoolers, it seems like I was just panicking last week of over what to do. (Oh yeah, I was panicking last week, just over something different. :) )

Over the past 3 years, things that have surprised me include:

- How much we keep changing things up. Nothing seems static.

- That DS seems to make progress, even when it looks like goofing off.

-That one way doesn't always work for DS. (Hence the changing it up all the time.) Sometimes it is a workbook and sometimes it is a video game. Sometimes it is with my involvement and sometimes not.

-How hard it is to navigate the local community for truly secular science events. At best it is neutral.

-Curriculum as a whole is a let down. There are a few gems, but otherwise I am shocked at the lack of creativity when it comes to organizing and delivering ideas and information. In a way, I am also surprised at how expensive the curriculum is. The curriculum label tends to send the price of a book through the roof. (Just like in schools and college) I can purchase a similar item, marketed towards parents for after school use, and the cost is reasonable. Slap a curriculum label, use for homeschool or in the classroom and that same book will go up significantly.

-The federal government has an impressive amount educational materials available for free. It is hard to find, because it is all over the place, but every government agency has lesson plans for so many topics.

-How many homeschooling blogs that are out there that are so poorly written and/or have way too much advertising. So much so, it is hard to read the text. I don't have the patience for such nonsense. If my ad-blocker doesn't work on the site, I won't read it. No matter how good the supposed information is. It's not worth it.

And the most surprising of all is that I have become much more comfortable at developing my own curriculum. So I am very resistant to purchase something, especially for elementary use. For high school, I could see a change in that, but for now I probably won't be buying any more curriculum for the foreseeable future. Books on the other hand, are invaluable and I will purchase them at my current rate of too many books to fit in the amount of space I have.

And obviously I have been thinking about this... hence the long post. :)

hippiebutterfly
03-22-2016, 10:41 AM
10th year here! One graduated, one graduating this year, one more to go!!!

muddylilly
03-22-2016, 11:23 AM
Tenth year!! Woo Hoo :)

Oksana
03-22-2016, 12:34 PM
at the end of our 3rd year..

I am amazed at how much I have changed in these 3 years. Went from a paranoid early-everything milestone-checking what-else-can-I-stuff-into-them which-school-is-the-best mom to a relaxed follow-the-child's-lead homeschooler. I am glad it happened.

RTB
03-22-2016, 02:12 PM
I'm at the end of my 4th year. I feel like I've finally found my groove - ha!

ElizabethK
03-22-2016, 05:03 PM
We are in our second year. Like a few others, I change things up a lot. Something that works now won't necessarily work in a few weeks. I'm not sure why that is - I think my daughter in particular needs variety.

I'm not sure that I've found my groove, although sometimes I have short bursts of groove-finding. Yesterday felt like we were in a really good groove. Today was a bit of a mild train-wreck, which probably means that tomorrow might be good. Homeschooling must be like moods, it can change from day to day!

darkelf
03-22-2016, 11:56 PM
6th year....

Started when DS#2 was in 5th grade.......

He is now in 10th, at the local high school. (He is a homeschool dropout... And waiting for dual enrollment to kick in next year)

But he started it all, and the others all came along for the ride.

salamandah
03-23-2016, 12:59 PM
Hi, I am a not yet homeschooling mom. And because I am in West TN, I am feeling very alone. I can get involved in a group that is a 2 hr drive roundtrip or I can try to get along with the faith based group closer to home. So, I come here to find a little bit of belonging. I am trying to let my son finish out his first grade year in school but it gets harder everyday.

Mariam
03-23-2016, 02:22 PM
Hi, I am a not yet homeschooling mom. And because I am in West TN, I am feeling very alone. I can get involved in a group that is a 2 hr drive roundtrip or I can try to get along with the faith based group closer to home. So, I come here to find a little bit of belonging. I am trying to let my son finish out his first grade year in school but it gets harder everyday.

Is there a reason you are waiting? We pulled out midyear and I was so relieved because of it.

Homeschooling Librarian
03-23-2016, 03:23 PM
Second year of homeschooling, beginning when M1 started second grade. M2 will be homeschooled, but I don't know when we will begin. Right now he's enrolled in Montessori preschool for next year, which is his pre-k year.

Like Mariam, I've changed things up a lot. M1 is very much a visual/kinesthetic learner, so I've moved away from the classical delivery approach I started with, and started focusing more on tying experiences to our learning. That runs the gamut from taking care of our chickens and planting strawberries (it's hard out there for a medieval peasant)to attempting bike polo so he can understand the amount of work it took to make a Mongol warrior. I'm also, like Mariam, far more interested in resources than in curricula. The more I learn about how M1 learns, the easier it is to pick out some "school" materials, like HWOT or logic books, but hunting down activities and materials that bolster the content gets much more time consuming. I have shelves and shelves of hands-on stuff. Since M1 is a "learn all the things" kid, this keeps me hopping.

crunchynerd
03-26-2016, 09:05 AM
Oops, voted wrong. Thought the question was how long we had been members of this site, so I voted 4-6 years. But then, if you count us as homeschooling from the time our firstborn did NOT go off the Kindergarten, we'd be in Year 7 now...but because we don't report to anyone until a child turns 7 (our state laws), that interpretation would mean we have been Officially Homeschooling 4 years now. Nah, I'll take 7, because that plunge of not enrolling in Kindergarten was the big doozy of a first step.

Riceball_Mommy
03-27-2016, 03:13 PM
If you count pre-k it's 7 years but officially we've been homeschooling for 6 years.

GothicGyrl
03-27-2016, 05:08 PM
I have not been here for a very long time but my last one graduated in 2014. I am about to graduate college for my Bachelor's in Education sometime in January. If you need to, you can remove my membership. I just don't have much time any more. :(

nikki0522
03-27-2016, 06:17 PM
We're in our 9th year. I started homeschooling when my oldest was in kindergarten, and he'll be starting high school next year. Where has the time gone?

ScienceGeek
03-27-2016, 06:45 PM
11 years! Got one 10th and one 7th. We started homeschooling at day one and never looked back.

JinxieFox
03-27-2016, 11:14 PM
I haven't been around the forum since... gosh, 2013?

We moved back to the U.S. from England and my son chose to attend public school after homeschooling for 6 years. Hard to believe he's 13 now and my daughter is 3. I really miss homeschooling and still believe 100% in it, but life has changed so much since my divorce, remarriage, having another child... Now I'm the one working outside the home, bringing in the bucks. Heh. And I do miss the community very, very much. I'm sure no one even remembers me and there are many new folks here.

I wish all of you fantastic homeschooling journeys and truly miss being here!

Tori
03-28-2016, 06:51 AM
Pulled my boys out of PS when they were in 1st & 4th grades. (2007) Been homeschooling them ever since. Oldest will graduate next year. He took a little longer cause it took him 2 years to get past Algebra.

astheriot
03-28-2016, 08:19 AM
Yes, I am still homeschooling. I have also been visiting LetsHomeschoolHighSchool since I now have my last high schooler. DD is VERY much in charge of her own education choices at this point but I am a source of information and options for her so I would still like to follow this site. I would love any information or to compare notes with fellow homeschoolers preparing for college admission, testing, transcripts, or universities that actively recruit homeschoolers. Thanks for being a support through the years.

Riceball_Mommy
03-28-2016, 09:30 AM
I haven't been around the forum since... gosh, 2013?

We moved back to the U.S. from England and my son chose to attend public school after homeschooling for 6 years. Hard to believe he's 13 now and my daughter is 3. I really miss homeschooling and still believe 100% in it, but life has changed so much since my divorce, remarriage, having another child... Now I'm the one working outside the home, bringing in the bucks. Heh. And I do miss the community very, very much. I'm sure no one even remembers me and there are many new folks here.

I wish all of you fantastic homeschooling journeys and truly miss being here!

I remember you! I was just thinking about you the other day it's good to see you back on the forum. I can't believe Rowan is 3 already either. It just doesn't feel that long ago.

inmom
03-28-2016, 10:16 AM
Yes, I am still homeschooling. I have also been visiting LetsHomeschoolHighSchool since I now have my last high schooler. DD is VERY much in charge of her own education choices at this point but I am a source of information and options for her so I would still like to follow this site. I would love any information or to compare notes with fellow homeschoolers preparing for college admission, testing, transcripts, or universities that actively recruit homeschoolers. Thanks for being a support through the years.

You'll find a ton of information in the forum here (http://www.secularhomeschool.com/college-prep/). We've had a lot of these discussions!!

MrsJones98
03-28-2016, 10:28 AM
We're in our 6th or 7th year...I lost track! Heading officially, instead of informally, into high school in the fall with some dual enrollment. Also eyeballing CLEP, CBE exams and gearing up with the extra curriculars. My daughter is looking mostly at highly selective universities (she wants to be a theoretical or astrophysicist) so we are looking at the hoops we need to jump through and trying to make sure she's competitive for admission AND *lots* of financial aid. She will be applying to one or two less selective schools, also, buy why not shoot for the stars?

Meanwhile, my son (only 2 years younger) keeps changing course and interests (he's much more typical than my self-starter, driven daughter) so he keeps me on my toes in a very different way. He is starting to solidify some interests in the marine sciences and fisheries. Good thing we live near the Gulf Coast, so I have a couple of opportunities we can explore in those areas!

It was so much easier when they were in elementary and I could teach them the same things and we could wing it more :D

I don't pop on here much anymore (and I was quiet before anyhow) because we are usually in a good groove and I've learned how to source curriculum that suits us when needed. Our local groups have improved, too. The big Christian one we are in for field trips has mellowed and it's huge (300+ families) so we can generally find some laid-back people. Plus, we cobbled together another side group we hang with a couple days a week. It only took 3-4 years for us to get there!!

Shaye3333
03-28-2016, 10:58 AM
After homeschooling for six years, I started having some health issues and my poor kiddo was pretty much self-taught for 8th grade. We stumbled onto an amazing charter high school that's 45 minutes away from our house that he got into two years ago. He loves it and is thriving. It's the #2 school in the state, academically, and is filled with the perfect weirdos for him. He has great friends, has voluntarily taken summer classes for the past three summers, and is carrying a 4.41 gpa on a 4 point scale. I don't think any of that would have been possible if we hadn't pulled him out and homeschooled. (My health issues are now clearing up, which is good since I drive afternoon carpool.)

dottieanna29
03-28-2016, 11:18 AM
We are in our 6th year. I homeschooled for the first 4 years, then we had a private teacher for the past two years. I recently (a few weeks ago) quit my job and I'm back to homeschooling the kids myself.

I haven't been on her much lately. I have a Windows 8 computer and I was finding it very difficult to post. I wouldn't be able to type, there would be a delay to the characters showing and it drove me nuts. It actually seems better now, so maybe I'll come back and check things out. :-)

tinamama
03-28-2016, 11:47 AM
10th year of homeschooling and still going strong! We have 7 more years to go!

mommykicksbutt
03-28-2016, 11:53 AM
Graduated my youngest 2 years ago, my oldest just found out she is pregnant and has already stated that she wants me to help homeschool her children. So I guess will be starting back up in a few more years.

ginnyjf
03-28-2016, 12:18 PM
Still homeschooling Zack who turns 14 this year. It's our sixth year of HS and he's doing wonderfully. He's considering returning to a B&M school for his frehsman year of high school which is way too close for this mom to think about.

2honeysmama
03-28-2016, 12:18 PM
We are in our 8th year of homeschooling & still going strong. This year was our 14 year old's first year of highschool & she is doing a lot more stuff both independently & out of home (community college classes, classes at a homeschool academy, etc). Our 11 year old son has also had to be more independent as I'm in my final year of a midwife apprenticeship & life has been craaazy... I do really miss being more present and hands-on but we're muddling through and both the kids are doing fine. It looks like we're going all the way through with this homeschool gig :) I am so pleased with the people our kids are...interesting, bright, socially conscious, curious. Our relationships are strong and it's making the intense teen years SO much easier on everyone. I really do thank homeschooling for that.

Chandra, Bob, Grayce (14), & Owen (12) in Austin, TX

poobadilly
03-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Glad I got this email reminder! We've been homeschooling since the beginning, but DS took a foray into a local private school during 8th and 9th grades. That actually put us behind, so here we are again. I'd lost track of resources, so especially glad for this reminder now that we're in high school. Thanks!

Cheryl Malaguti
03-28-2016, 03:10 PM
12th year here, one 18yo and one 15yo.

3BtreeBS
03-28-2016, 03:44 PM
We are in our 12th year of homeschooling. I have a senior, a freshman, and a 5th grader. Lovin' the secular homeschool life. :)

mommalee93
03-28-2016, 05:24 PM
7th year of Homeschooling, just entering the Jr. High grades with one, I have one in late elementary and one doing K. I honestly can't believe I have been doing it for 7 years. This journey has taken us through many things. I have learned a lot along the way as well. I am still so nervous about highschool. It is not that I don't think I can do it, but that I worry about keeping track and doing it while teaching Jr. high and elementary as well!

anntnem
03-28-2016, 05:35 PM
I've been homeschooling my daughter since she was 4. She's 17 now and finishing up grade 11. One more year to finish out her high school requirements and boy am I going to miss homeschooling! Trying not to think about that...

IEF
03-28-2016, 09:56 PM
Over 6 years works.

5Wizards
03-28-2016, 11:25 PM
We are in our 10th year homeschooling. I have a freshman, a 5th grader, and a 2nd grader. High school has been interesting and fun so far, but it's also stressful as she is my oldest and I have no experience on which to fall back. I have only ever posted a few things on here before, but I do read from time to time. :)

Mommamayi
03-28-2016, 11:27 PM
I have homeschooled all three of my children. My last one has a year to go and is doing part homeschool, part highschool and part college. The older two are done with college now.

Tamara
03-29-2016, 08:40 AM
Ten years on the 6th of June (started in 2006... notice the date? completely by accident, but it is funny). DS12 and DD15 are still having a great time learning naturally, and in general we have followed a Montessori curriculum. We've also Unschooled for part of the time however it was all 'following the child'.

I've been running a local Secular home ed meet up group for the past 6-7 years, however in the past year it's really picked up again, with so many people new to home education not choosing this education but forced into due to issues at school. So many more people who are non-religious or home educating for purely social/emotional/academic reasons want a group to meet with that are not 'Christian Homeschoolers'. We've started to do more organised activities too, which is good, and the bigger projects we've asked the larger mixed group to join in with too. We're lucky thought, as most local 'religious homeschoolers' are not pushy about their religion. Australia in general is a country where people are discouraged, or at least not encouraged, to talk about their religion. Politically, generally, it's a very negative thing to publicly discuss your religion if you are a member of Parliament. It's very rare to hear anyone say "God bless Australia".

What this means, practically for home educators here, is that saying you're a Secular Home Educator is a positive statement, and likely to give the general population the impression that they trust your interest in educating your child is good and not for some 'strange religious reason'. I mention this because I'm interested to know if anyone lives in an area of the world that has this same experience? I suspect that people in the UK, Canada, New Zealand and some parts of America would.

cogi123
03-29-2016, 09:23 AM
I just voted in the poll, but checked the wrong box and don't see a way to correct my answer. I checked "not currently homeschooling," which I guess is accurate...but I overlooked the option, "Homeschooling alumnus..." I actually homeschooled 9 years. Two of my kids have graduated college, one is graduating high school. Only one of my children chose to homeschool some of high school. I still recommend your site to new homeschoolers, and provide some consulting to those transitioning to various educational environments, including college.

DDuckie
03-29-2016, 11:58 AM
We're still going. Three in high school - 2 will be seniors next year, 1 a junior - and one would currently be in 5th grade in public school. I don't get online as much any more.

caallas
03-29-2016, 12:24 PM
In the last of 20 years.

TerriW
03-29-2016, 01:29 PM
I have been homeschooling from the beginning and am abruptly almost out of a job, as my daughter and son are both to graduate in 2 short months. My daughter is going to begin a vet assistant certificate program and my son is headed to University of the Pacific to study engineering. I have been a single mom for nearly all of this journey and am extremely proud of who my kids have become. Homeschooling rocks, and on the days it doesn't, there's another that does right behind it.

jar7709
03-29-2016, 03:14 PM
We're in our 6th year and going strong!

TFZ
03-29-2016, 08:16 PM
First year (if you even count pre-k - or maybe we are in year -1). Glad to have so many vets around to learn from.

Sitting at the park today listening to the two women next to me bitch about their schools/administrations/teachers/how their child is not getting an individualized education.

And ahhhhhhhhhhhh. Not us. Not. Us.
Relief.

Care
03-29-2016, 08:17 PM
We're in year 3, still going strong! About to change up our schedule, again, but still having fun. ^_^

scott s
03-29-2016, 08:36 PM
We've just started our 6th year of homeschooling. I get so wrapped up in what we're doing I rarely venture out and see what is happening on this (or other) sites.

JuliePerry
03-29-2016, 10:56 PM
In my 10th year (I think). Last one has two years to go and then I get to find out what my new normal will be.

Herbgardens
03-29-2016, 11:45 PM
I am so glad you sent the email! Yes, we are still homeschooling. My eldest just turned 21 and is in college, my 18(next week) will be starting college this summer, my 13, 9, and 6 yr old kids are still here with me. I have never doubted our decision to homeschool, and we love every challenge that comes our way.
We just celebrated our 3 yr anniversary of moving back to Maine and still love it here. Life is pretty darn good.

Glad to be back!
Amy J

Topsy
03-30-2016, 09:16 AM
I am so glad you sent the email! Yes, we are still homeschooling. My eldest just turned 21 and is in college, my 18(next week) will be starting college this summer, my 13, 9, and 6 yr old kids are still here with me. I have never doubted our decision to homeschool, and we love every challenge that comes our way.
We just celebrated our 3 yr anniversary of moving back to Maine and still love it here. Life is pretty darn good.

Glad to be back!
Amy J

Super glad you jumped back in on the forum, Amy!!! It's such fun to build our community - - and hear from peeps we haven't chatted with for a while. I love that you are still in the swing of homeschooling after all this time. YAY!!

naomis
03-30-2016, 09:18 AM
We had been homeschooling our severely autistic son for 4 years. We had hoped to send him to a special school an hour away, but our home district refused to since he had not been in school. So he is there now. I doubt they will allow us to send him next year. Our oldest, who is moderately autistic, is in cyber high school. But he is really struggling. It seems that they are mostly providing curriculum and we are having to actually teach him. My husband is the stay at home parent, and I just don't have the time along with my job to set a 11th grade curriculum for a special needs child. So I expect he will go back to the high school next year. I am not happy at all with the situation, but see no way around it.

Topsy
03-30-2016, 09:27 AM
We had been homeschooling our severely autistic son for 4 years. We had hoped to send him to a special school an hour away, but our home district refused to since he had not been in school. So he is there now. I doubt they will allow us to send him next year. Our oldest, who is moderately autistic, is in cyber high school. But he is really struggling. It seems that they are mostly providing curriculum and we are having to actually teach him. My husband is the stay at home parent, and I just don't have the time along with my job to set a 11th grade curriculum for a special needs child. So I expect he will go back to the high school next year. I am not happy at all with the situation, but see no way around it.

Just wanted to send along (((hugs))) naomis. This sounds extremely stressful for all of you. Mama of a kiddo on the spectrum here, so I know how hard it is to feel the weight of all that responsibility. Have you tried any of the homeschool curricula that have been time-tested by other kids on the spectrum? I think specifically of Time4Learning which is IBCCES certified for kids with autism (http://www.time4learning.com/autism.shtml). Our son used it mostly from middle school forward through graduation and was able to use it quite independently most of the time. I totally understand, sometimes, though, that h-s just isn't an option. :(

Topsy
03-30-2016, 09:30 AM
I don't pop on here much anymore (and I was quiet before anyhow) because we are usually in a good groove and I've learned how to source curriculum that suits us when needed. Our local groups have improved, too. The big Christian one we are in for field trips has mellowed and it's huge (300+ families) so we can generally find some laid-back people. Plus, we cobbled together another side group we hang with a couple days a week. It only took 3-4 years for us to get there!!

That is SUCH great news!! If you want to see it added to our inclusive groups list, could you PM me? Thanks!

rosey4exclaim
03-30-2016, 11:35 AM
I'm not currently homeschooling because I don't have kids yet, but I've wanted to homeschool my future children since I was in high school. I swear the minute I get pregnant, I'll be picking out preschool curriculum! lol.

MomOfRoo
03-30-2016, 12:16 PM
I've homeschooled a couple of times but am not currently homeschooling. However, my son's academic needs are higher than what his school provides so I supplement his academics at home.

tendumom
03-30-2016, 02:17 PM
Have not been here in ages. Came back because of the email reminder!

Dd graduated from our homeschool in June. She's now a ballet dancer (a trainee) who is "attending" the Harvard Extension School on a very part-time basis. I get to return to my homeschool mom activities now and then when she sends me papers to look over. She is very grateful for her homeschool education. A professor last semester told her she was one of the top writers she has had in her classes. :D Writing was one of the things I worried the most about teaching, so that compliment to dd was especially meaningful to me!

MistyDixon
03-30-2016, 02:25 PM
Still homeschooling! Wrapping up our 5th year, this May.

momsDiner
03-30-2016, 05:16 PM
Started homeschooling "temporarily" in second half of third grade because dd had zero academic progress to show for her years in (supposedly great) school. We're now winding down 10th grade and dd is at or way above grade level in all classes. It's been a journey. We like homeschooling high school a lot more than earlier grades because I'm not the build-cathedral-out-of-marhsmallows kind of mom so online courses and a more structured set of academic plans (focused on dd's college plans) suits us a lot better than the project years. I would really encourage anyone who thinks they can't continue homeschooling in high school to look at the wide array of genuinely great resources out there -- if I can do it, you can do it. MomsDiner. Homeschooling temporarily since 2008

RachelJane9
03-30-2016, 06:11 PM
Depending on how you slice it we've been homeschooling forever, or just two weeks!

I'm a homeschool graduate. Left school when I was 15 and did self-directed high school. You can imagine I planned to homeschool my kids. While pregnant, was still pretty sure that was the plan.

In 2012 my oldest was a toddler and we joined the local HS group, became park day regulars, and I even put together unit studies and blogged about our homeschool preschool. I had a second daughter in 2014, and at the end of 2014 the older girl was diagnosed with ASD - high functioning (formerly known as Asperger's Syndrome). I put her in the local public integrated preschool because that's what they told me to do. It wasn't the worst, but it sure wasn't the best either; they weren't really helping my kid with her issues. I sought out ABA and found an ABA day program where she spent about 9 months and improved drastically. It's been a roller coaster, but things are good now. My husband just took a new job, the ABA program is now out of network (and hence unaffordable). So, a little earlier than we planned, older girl graduated from her ABA preschool and came home full time. That was two weeks ago.

In preparation for the transition, we read I Am Learning All the Time. She's so excited about homeschool and is telling me every day how she loves it. Loves being together, loves having meals together, loves not having to go out and stay out all day, loves cuddling on the couch to read. She's brilliant, intense, and demanding, so I absolutely have structured curriculum set up for her. For someone whose intro to homeschooling came via The Teenage Liberation Handbook, this takes some getting used to. Around here (metro-Boston) there's a lot of parents patting themselves on the back for being in the cool, child-led Natural Parenting Club. I feel a little kicked out of the club because their version of unschooling absolutely will not fit my girl. But I've been doing this long enough to know that responding to her needs is child-led, and she asks me about ten times a day for challenging academic work. And that is delightful. Which is a good thing, 'cause we need a positive place to connect!

MontessoriMom
03-30-2016, 07:02 PM
Sixth year now with a 10 year old and a 7 year old.

Both are doing awesome and the most valuable thing I've learned about homeschooling in the past six is to constantly change things up. My girls like routine, but like spontaneity more.

We also have settled into a year-long, one to two hours a day type of homeschool with educational things happening all the time as long as we keep our discovery hats on.

Finding ways to socialize with other homeschoolers is one of our top priorities as well and that's falling into place this year.

Musikloverling
03-31-2016, 09:34 AM
We've been homeschooling for 5 years now. Our two boys have never been in school. I always planned to homeschool my kids, even before I had any. Wish I'd been homeschooled. Glad mine are! It's so good to see them so happy, not stressed out, learning easily and at their own pace. Wouldn't change a thing. We don't use a curriculum.

sissy65
03-31-2016, 10:52 AM
I still have two...one going into 6th and one going into 4th. I graduated one several years ago, in 2009. Yep, there is quite a gap between the kids. My DS who graduated in 09 has given me a grandson and a granddaughter!

lraejackson5
03-31-2016, 10:54 AM
Pulled my oldest out of public after 3rd grade and have been homeschooling ever since-working on high school now (WOW!) and my youngest is i 3rd grade!

cmn1011
03-31-2016, 04:59 PM
I admit I actually forgot about this website.

My oldest is 6 and just finishing up kindergarten. We are cyberschooling for now. Which in some circles counts as homeschooling and others does not. It works for us for now. But I like to stay updated on traditional homeschooling as well, in case we need to make the switch cause ya never know. My middle daughter will be 5 soon. So, she will soon be starting kindergarten curriculum. My youngest is 3.

I might have to check out the site again. :)

ShannonHicks
03-31-2016, 05:49 PM
Hello!
I have two boys I HS. One is 8th grade the other 10th grade. I am looking to figure out everything they need for college. Right now searching like crazy for non religious chemistry with lab. This is not an easy task. Oh, and we have moved to Milford, CT. We love the Northeast. Lots of HS groups meet ups. Great to hear from this group again. Being a single HSing mom I forget about all my outlets.
Thank you.

bumblesmama
03-31-2016, 09:44 PM
In our 4th year (3rd grade) of homeschooling and still going strong. Plan to do this for the long haul.

continuum
04-01-2016, 03:23 AM
This is my 15th year homeschooling. It will also be my last, as my youngest is a high school senior this year. Waiting to see which college she decides to attend in the fall. We did not actually intend to homeschool. Public school weirdnesses brought us, somewhat unwillingly, to it. Nor did we always have smooth sailing, as two of my kids are special needs. But we learned, and at the end of June, we will turn the page to new adventures.

If anyone needs help with special needs kids, and how to deal with IEPs, 504s, and transitioning to dual-enrollment at a community college, or to a 4-year college, please feel free to ask.

~Toni

E's eclectic
04-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Hi there, we have been homeschooling for 6 years now (currently homeschooling a 6th grader and 3rd grader with a toddler in tow). I tend to be more of an article/blog reader than an active discussion participant and haven't visited this site in a while. I have started to feel a bit nervous about my oldest being in the middle school grades, knowing high school is right around the corner, trying to figure out the next steps for him.

tinymeadow
04-01-2016, 01:45 PM
My son is 10, we have always homeschooled and continue to homeschool. I just forgot about this site, thanks for the reminder :-)

OldFarmer
04-01-2016, 03:10 PM
I right now have both kids in public school. The skills they developed while studying at home are definitely enabling them to get more out of their B&M school experience. I do not regret the two years spent at home, and even they (a middle schooler and a freshman) appreciate having had several different experiences in their elementary years.

VinceRN
04-01-2016, 05:12 PM
We sort of half home school now. We found a school district not far away that has a great STEM program for homeschooled kids that has resources we could never afford, our 12 year old girl is 7th grade in that program about 15 hours a week and continues homeschooling beyond that. That district also has a "parent partnership" program that allows kids to register for individual classes so our 9 year old girl does about 8 hours a week of that in addition to home schooling.

bandabacks
04-01-2016, 08:07 PM
I guess I've been a member for 3 years? Still homeschooling, now in grades one and two and I hope I'll be doing it until they go to college. I live in China, down in Hainan, the southernmost province, in the South China Sea, and I don't have to report to anyone. It's fantastic. I also don't know any other homeschoolers but that's okay (I hear there are some Christian ones around somewhere but it's hard to find common ground with missionaries). Even though my 8 year old daughter and 7 year old twin sons are 15 months apart they do every subject together. We do Pandia Press for history and science, Life of Fred for math (we can tolerate the Christianity), and All About Spelling for spelling. I don't post anymore these days but I follow you guys on Facebook and Instagram and I find your posts so helpful! Thank you!

plobe
04-01-2016, 11:00 PM
We're in the midst of trying new - AGAIN. That is ok... We've switched up material - using the computer more for writing assignments too.

Learning a lot, such as:

I don't know everything. Surprise!
What I think THEY like is highly debatable to them...
That not everyday will be smooth.
Other mums love their kids as much as I do.
Some days I will be a grumpy ass.
Some days just an ass.
They learn from everything they do.
To not be so worried. What a RELIEF!
It isn't a competition.
Homeschooling is segregated.
Atheist homeschoolers- we're lepers.
That EVERY homeschool group has zealots. Learn to use block.
To relinquish power to them...
To trust them to know what they can do, and can't.
To not force my ideas of perfection on them.
To enjoy them and OUR journey.

MaryB
04-02-2016, 08:18 AM
We are just beginning our homeschooling journey. Our twins are 4 1/2 so there's nothing real formal right now. I'm trying to read as much as possible and gather information to start off on the right foot. Living in the Bible Belt (eastern TN) makes it a bit more isolating since finding secular support groups is very hard. Thank you for including me and hopefully I caneventualky contribute once we really get started.

beckyjane27
04-02-2016, 10:01 AM
In my fourth year with my oldest and my first with little brother. I didn't plan on homeschooling my younger who was in developmental preschool and kindergarten, but first grade didn't work for him at the local school. It has been a bit more stressful at times, and I am constantly modifying our plans. All in all, so worth it.

Bunnygirl
04-02-2016, 10:47 AM
My two girls are teens now and wanted to go to high school. I have retired from homeschooling.

blissfullhill
04-02-2016, 01:54 PM
We're still homeschooling! I have a thirteen(8th grade) and nine year old(4th grade). I've been homeschooling for six years. Man it doesn't seem like it's been that long! My thirteen year old has been homeschooled since third grade and my nine year old has been since first grade. We're all doing really great but I'm having a hard time with my 8th graders math. She's in algebra 1. If I have any issues then my husband usually helps out (he's a genius in math) but it's hard to let the math go until he gets home at night so we're getting behind (because some/most nights we forget or have a ton of other things to do)but then I think well she is a grade ahead so we could take our time with it and carry it over in the fall. I'm not sure what to do. We did find a tutor but she's busy also and trying to make our schedules mesh is even harder!
Wish us lots of luck please!

Heidi M
04-02-2016, 03:54 PM
We are wrapping up our 16th year with only 2 more to go! I have 2 graduates and a 10th grader :)

CrazyGooseLady
04-03-2016, 12:41 AM
8 years. Started when oldest started 2nd. She is now going to a STEM high school and really liking it, other than some anxiety and depression that started in grade 8 when homeschooling. #2 is 8th grade, homeschooling, will be doing the STEM school next year. #3 is 5th grade, and I think he will home school all the way through, maybe go to the local tech school and learn a skill like building houses or something. He is very hands on. So...another 6 to go.

ratilda
04-04-2016, 02:28 AM
My daughters are 10 and 7 and they've never been to school. We are homeschooling, and it's not easy, but girls and I love it!

mommajen
04-04-2016, 10:02 AM
Yes ma'am we are still at it. I never saw my kids doing anything other than this. Going strong since my first was 3... So 6 years. And HA. Trust me it was only because she wanted to. I am a staunch eclectic homeschooler punctuated with many times of Unschooling. Months sometimes.

1 year ago we transplanted our family to central Va from northern MD and man... Can anybody say culture shock! I'm way cool with rural life. It was the lack of an actual secular homeschool community that freaked me out!!

Every co-op in my new area required a statement of faith! I view religion like this: anything is possible in the great, wide universe. Even God. BUT I want my children to have their educational heads on straight and be mature enough to look at religion with an eye that only age can give them. And it will be taught to them by me in a world religion class.

Soooo that wasn't going to happen needless to say. So what does a lonely, heathen mom of 3 to do? Well damn it you start your own community and damned if I didn't!!

It took a while. Well it took like 4 months. Posting on all the homeschool Facebook pages, yahoo and Google groups within a 50 mile radius. And something awesome happened. They came!!

I now have approximately 26 kids every Thursday, give or take. And man these kids and parents are awesome!!

We have a mix of everyone and we all are bonded. These women had been homeschooling completely alone before this. Whoa!! And no more!

Ah and the thing about our homeschool is this: we don't want to add any stress. If your mom stops in randomly and the kids need time with grandma then have at it friend! Little Timmy had a rough week... Take a day lady and come over for coffee when you're ready to be out again. Can't teach today because your husband took a random day off... Cool! We'll have a play, cook and craft day instead!!

Seriously it is the most awesome. And it got this way because I created what I needed most then brought in the community to add their needs. Hell we cancelled school all together a few weeks back to go to a birthday party at our local commune and it was AWESOME!!!

So I also plan outings for the community, 24 so far, started a Wild Explorers group, a Littles play date group and plan on teaching inexpensive art courses out of my home.

It's nuts but man we are happier than we've ever been. And my kids tell me all the time they are so happy we moved here. We have an actual forest on our property and all of our neighbor's are amazing!!

So yeah. We still homeschool. And with any luck we will be for life! Oh hell. My kids are 9, 7 and 3 and I'm 42... And a little tired 😉

MrsB
04-04-2016, 12:57 PM
Our very first year! Pumped up about next year!

shehmeth
04-04-2016, 03:22 PM
Still homeschooling... here in South Florida... ;-)

mollieclaire
04-04-2016, 05:15 PM
We're on our fourth year. Last year, our eldest child graduated (1 down, 4 to go!).Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with multiple manifestations of an incurable autonomic disorder. We moved to the other side of the state (Charlotte, NC), away from our active homeschooling groups, to be closer to her healthcare providers.

Being a large, homeschool family makes us an oddity in our new town. Add to that a chronically ill teenager who requires a wheelchair to have some semblance of a normal life and ... it's difficult. People don't care, or are uncomfortable, or are just plain jerks. We have not had one positive homeschool, church or club group experience in the past 20 months. Luckily, we will be leaving in two years.

Topsy
04-04-2016, 07:53 PM
We're on our fourth year. Last year, our eldest child graduated (1 down, 4 to go!).Unfortunately, she was diagnosed with multiple manifestations of an incurable autonomic disorder. We moved to the other side of the state (Charlotte, NC), away from our active homeschooling groups, to be closer to her healthcare providers.

Being a large, homeschool family makes us an oddity in our new town. Add to that a chronically ill teenager who requires a wheelchair to have some semblance of a normal life and ... it's difficult. People don't care, or are uncomfortable, or are just plain jerks. We have not had one positive homeschool, church or club group experience in the past 20 months. Luckily, we will be leaving in two years.

mollieclaire, that's heartbreaking to read, but I appreciate you sharing your story. Your truth is many people's truth - - sometimes homeschooling just makes us outcasts for one reason or another. I hope, hope, hope you find a welcoming "tribe" in your local area soon. If not, please do feel free to hang out with us here often. Hopefully you won't encounter any kind of jerkery here at SHS! ((hugs))

Topsy
04-04-2016, 07:56 PM
Yes ma'am we are still at it. I never saw my kids doing anything other than this. Going strong since my first was 3... So 6 years. And HA. Trust me it was only because she wanted to. I am a staunch eclectic homeschooler punctuated with many times of Unschooling. Months sometimes.

1 year ago we transplanted our family to central Va from northern MD and man... Can anybody say culture shock! I'm way cool with rural life. It was the lack of an actual secular homeschool community that freaked me out!!

Every co-op in my new area required a statement of faith! I view religion like this: anything is possible in the great, wide universe. Even God. BUT I want my children to have their educational heads on straight and be mature enough to look at religion with an eye that only age can give them. And it will be taught to them by me in a world religion class.

Soooo that wasn't going to happen needless to say. So what does a lonely, heathen mom of 3 to do? Well damn it you start your own community and damned if I didn't!!

It took a while. Well it took like 4 months. Posting on all the homeschool Facebook pages, yahoo and Google groups within a 50 mile radius. And something awesome happened. They came!!

I now have approximately 26 kids every Thursday, give or take. And man these kids and parents are awesome!!

We have a mix of everyone and we all are bonded. These women had been homeschooling completely alone before this. Whoa!! And no more!

Ah and the thing about our homeschool is this: we don't want to add any stress. If your mom stops in randomly and the kids need time with grandma then have at it friend! Little Timmy had a rough week... Take a day lady and come over for coffee when you're ready to be out again. Can't teach today because your husband took a random day off... Cool! We'll have a play, cook and craft day instead!!

Seriously it is the most awesome. And it got this way because I created what I needed most then brought in the community to add their needs. Hell we cancelled school all together a few weeks back to go to a birthday party at our local commune and it was AWESOME!!!

So I also plan outings for the community, 24 so far, started a Wild Explorers group, a Littles play date group and plan on teaching inexpensive art courses out of my home.

It's nuts but man we are happier than we've ever been. And my kids tell me all the time they are so happy we moved here. We have an actual forest on our property and all of our neighbor's are amazing!!

So yeah. We still homeschool. And with any luck we will be for life! Oh hell. My kids are 9, 7 and 3 and I'm 42... And a little tired 

Well, aren't you just the most fun?! I loved, loved, loved your update! And the great and positive thing you've done by creating your own group!! What an inspiration!! You go girl!!

LeighAnn97
04-04-2016, 08:50 PM
We started homeschooling January of 2007, so we have been at it 9 years now. We started when we pulled our oldest out of public school halfway through 2nd grade. Now we have four kids and my youngest is starting first grade.
We have always been pretty eclectic and moved into unschooling for a few years. Now my older two are going to start studying a GED book I bought and the younger two are going to get back into a little more workbook type work with me. I'm floundering a bit with it since we are very short on money, but it needs to be done, and there is no way public school would work for us.

Jolinar
04-04-2016, 09:50 PM
I get so caught up in the day to day of homeschooling, that I don't often stop and realize how long we've been doing this. We've been homeschooling for over 6 years, now. My oldest will be 12 in just a month and a half and has never gone to public school. I just recently started looking at what the future will bring for my kids. For my oldest, I've started looking at the local colleges and what he's going to need to do to get into college, if the local community colleges have early college programs for homeschool kids (yes!) and what the requirement are for them to get in. I still despair, some days, about my older daughter and what she'll do, as she is going on 10, dyslexic, and reading at a 2nd grade level, despite all the advances she's made in the last year. It's been tough not letting me youngest get lost in all that, but I think we've managed it, somehow, as she's 6 and reading at a second grade level, as well, and is advancing nicely in other areas.

Lynnique
04-05-2016, 07:08 PM
We're wrapping up our 6th year of homeschooling. Two boys, 6th and 7th graders. Still enjoying it for the most part.

Topsy
04-05-2016, 09:18 PM
We are in our 6th year. I homeschooled for the first 4 years, then we had a private teacher for the past two years. I recently (a few weeks ago) quit my job and I'm back to homeschooling the kids myself.

I haven't been on her much lately. I have a Windows 8 computer and I was finding it very difficult to post. I wouldn't be able to type, there would be a delay to the characters showing and it drove me nuts. It actually seems better now, so maybe I'll come back and check things out. :-)

We would LOVE that, Dottie!!

CreateMagik
04-06-2016, 04:50 PM
We are in our second year homeschooling (at the 8th grade level). Next year I will be adding pre-k/kinder type activities for our youngest, while the oldest starts high school. We change a lot as well and it's a constant battle to toss aside the conveyor belt learning and busywork that we've endured for so long in the public school system. I feel like we're in a much better place at this point with a good plan for the high school years right around the corner.

redfirefly
04-06-2016, 06:56 PM
Still homeschooling, but have been more relaxed with it all. Finding what works!
Oldest is now 15, middle son who is 12 just came home from PS in November so it just starting, youngest is almost 7.

Year 5 now and a lot has changed. Tend to be more child-led/unschooling with most subject than using straight curriculum, but have found some that work well for each kid. Feels less stressful this way, yet I still worry we will miss things! Normal, I know.

LuckyMama
04-06-2016, 09:10 PM
We are still in the planning stage. My oldest is a preschooler and we plan to begin homeschool for Kindergarten. I am reading others input, looking at curriculum, reading about learning styles and crossing my fingers it all comes together for the best. Our local schools are unacceptable to me, and all of the private schools are excessively religious. I'm very thankful for this site!

Mcdominguez
04-07-2016, 05:43 AM
Hi guys!!

Well for the past 4 years I've been on and off of homeschooling my 5 kids due to moving, nursing school and other life changing events. Luckily, we are completely settled at the moment and we all agreed that homeschooling is definitely the way to go. My oldest repeated twice due to not passing the FCAT state mandated test. He's the tallest kid in the whole school (elementary) and he's starting to have self esteem issues. I can't stress it enough! Homeschool is the best thing that has ever happened to us!

Long story short (Lol), we will be starting a new homeschooling journey June 2016. I must agree with some of the other parents, we've had to tweek things so many times. I'll spend days planning and using curriculums and units and etc. to then end up doing something totally different. It's a learning process for us all.

I'll be seeing you guys around! Thanks for following up with your members dear! =0)

ShadowLark
04-07-2016, 08:20 AM
We're all still homeschooling. My kids wanted to try out brick and mortar school this year. My poor youngest daughter went private, so she's stuck until the end of the school year. My oldest daughter pulled out in February. The almost 4 year old is in preschool, the oldest is in Special Ed and loving it. The littlest will homeschool from day one.

smoller
04-07-2016, 09:21 AM
I only homeschooled for one year, for my daughter's 8th grade, but it was probably the most important thing I ever did as a parent. Prior to her leaving public school, she had lost much of her enthusiasm for learning and was struggling academically due to executive functioning issues. She was also going through some tough and scary times emotionally and socially. The year away from public school gave her some time and space to breathe and start the healing process. We did comprehensive neuropsych testing to have better insight into her strengths and challenges, she started seeing a therapist on a regular basis, and I customized her schooling (thanks to tons of help from this forum and some other groups)to leverage her strengths and appeal to her areas of interest, and also to address her weaknesses. The only downside was that there are very few homeschoolers (especially teens) in our area and none of the small handful activities that were available to her were either convenient or appealing so she spent much of the year relatively isolated from the outside world (on the other hand, she didn't really mind it and it was better than her feeling unsafe, like she did in her last year of middle school). At the end of the year, I think we were both grateful for the time at home but we were both ready for her to return to public school. She is now finishing her freshman at the local high school, joining her two sisters. Her transition back was much easier than expected, and she is doing better academically than she has in years and years. She also is receiving whatever support she needs (at various times it has been social and emotional as well as academic)from the very excellent staff and administration. And finally, while she still has some lingering (maybe lifelong?) social communication issues, she is much more comfortable with who she is as a person and has found people in virtually all of her classes (but especially in art) with whom she can comfortably interact. I credit homeschooling for much of her success so far in high school.

shellz4
04-07-2016, 10:31 AM
This is our 17th year homeschooling. I started when my oldest was in K. I now have a 21 yr old junior in college(Princeton U), an 18 year old freshman in college (UC Santa Cruz), a 16 yr old sophomore in h.s.and my youngest 13 a 7th grader. It has been a wonderful ride with my 4 boys. I am just now beginning to feel a bit of empty nest syndrome as they move on. I wish it all didn't go by so fast!

momzki4
04-07-2016, 02:37 PM
I have homeschooled 2 of my 4 kids.

My oldest 2 went exclusively to public school and are now finishing up university.

My "original" youngest homeschooled for 3rd & 4th grade, went back to public school 5th-7th, back to homeschooling 8th & 9th, back to public in 10th and finished up homeschooling for 11th & 12th. He now proudly serves in the US Navy.

My "new" youngest went to public school for preschool but for Kindergarten she homeschooled and we plan to homeschool all the way to university.

Jezz513
04-07-2016, 06:42 PM
We'll be finishing up our 5th year of homeschooling in a couple of months :) I'm currently trying to decide if I'm going to just skip 8th grade for my oldest. He's been doing mostly high school level work anyway, but I can't decide if I should let him have one more year stress free - we shall see! We're very eclectic, and definitely switch things up all the time. I have SO MANY quarter or half finished workbooks! I just got a new vocabulary game today that I'm excited to try out! We'll be moving and leaving our beloved secular group here shortly, and while I haven't utilized this site in awhile, I plan on using it more when we move to see if I can find any secular homeschoolers in our new location.

Dawndelion
04-07-2016, 07:07 PM
We're in our 4th year of homeschooling. We have homeschooled from the beginning. This year I have one in third, one in k and one pre-k. I haven't regretted it yet.

GooberMomma
04-07-2016, 09:39 PM
We were homeschooling, but due to some major changes in our family structure at the moment, we enrolled our daughter (age 7) in school this year. We've been fairly lucky with her teacher/school, but we still don't want to keep her there long term and are trying to figure out a way to return to homeschooling after this school year. I still have every bit of curriculum and materials, and keep our core items accessible for occasional use on school holidays or nights without homework. If we can't pull off homeschool next year then I'm definitely transitioning us to a more formal "after-schooling" approach! Just so many gaps in public school...

ellenillustrates
04-07-2016, 10:40 PM
Finishing up our 2nd year, grades 2 and 6. Jumping into Junior High next year and still homeschooling it!

nkpoore
04-08-2016, 09:31 AM
We are still homeschooling my daughter will be 9 this year and my son is just getting started and he will be 6. We do belong to a mixed belief on base homeschool group. We all respect others beliefs and try not to go down any roads that may offend or cause arguments. It's mainly a social group so the kids can get out and play.

Phielyne
04-08-2016, 02:02 PM
We are in our 2nd year of homeschooling, and looking forward to 1st, 2nd and 6th grades next year. I still feel like a newb! Does the feeling that your screwing everything up ever truly go away? 😨😛

Home's Cool
04-08-2016, 09:03 PM
We've been homeschooling since birth and my older daughters just turned 12 and will be done 'grade8' in a couple of days, my youngest is 8 and she will be doing whatever until her sisters are done this grade. We camped across Canada for 3 months last summer and learned a lot that way. So, we are going to take 2 years off of anything remotely related to any curriculum item for our province(not that we have ever been avid dedicated followers of any curriculum ever) in order to learn my first language and for my girls to learn traditional skills, etc. So, I think that means we will be pure 'unschoolers' in a few days. Truly looking forward to it.

JustMamaKoolaid
04-09-2016, 09:43 PM
We're still homeschooling. Working, homeschooling, and creating a self sufficient home is just consuming all our time.

Supermom66
04-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Still homeschooling. Busy figuring out high school/dual enrollment.

Supermom66
04-10-2016, 01:38 PM
Awesome! I almost gave up but learned more on how to get through high school. Congrats on graduating yours!

AnaMaree
04-11-2016, 01:41 AM
Accidental homeschooler here and loving it! Started with PreK as when we got Miss Thing, she had no vaccinations, no birth certificate. By the time we had those things, we didn't feel it was safe for her to be in the PS system with all that was going on. Now it's just habit. We change things up now and then but are loving Build Your Library. Finished 1st grade last month, before starting second we are taking a few months of just focusing on reading, math and science (her LOVE). No reading program has worked so I just read out loud to her and we use All About Spelling that I won, it seems to help a lot with her reading. I also won Apologia Science, not my thing at all but she does love it, I read out to her so am able to skip over the biblical teachings laced through it.

I see secular schooling growing in the near future. There are several christian homeschoolers I am seeing switch to secular curriculum, keeping their religion out of the day to day subjects, that surprised me.

I got lucky and was able to buy a used bookstore last summer, we spend our days working in there and homeschooling there, it is an amazing experience! Bookstore people rock and she is exposed to such a variety!

Topsy
04-12-2016, 08:28 AM
Still homeschooling. Busy figuring out high school/dual enrollment.

Kudos on the continuation, Supermom! Wanted to mention these great articles over at LetsHomeschoolHighschool.com which might be helpful in your dual-enrollment research:

Dual Enrollment In Your State (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/2014/12/31/dual-enrollment-state-2/)
What About Homeschoolers and Dual Enrollment? (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/2014/04/06/homeschoolers-dual-enrollment/)
FAQ about Homeschool and Dual Enrollment (http://letshomeschoolhighschool.com/2013/09/18/faq-homeschool-dual-enrollment/)

Home's Cool
04-13-2016, 09:58 PM
We still have snow so all those outdoor traditional activities and for those I need materials from outdoors will have to wait awhile. I am a horrible blogger, I never have time but I do manage to post something once in awhile. You can find us at chakasimgirls.wordpress.com
We will likely be spending our time trapped indoors on courses my girls are working to teach our language. Part 1 is done and ready for enrollment but we will spend the next 2 years adding to it and making it better - should anyone want to take the courses, let me know. I can forward the link - actually, you can find it on our blog site as well. Good bye books :D

sosam
04-14-2016, 05:42 PM
We are still going strong and loving it!

Topsy
04-14-2016, 08:07 PM
We are in our 2nd year of homeschooling, and looking forward to 1st, 2nd and 6th grades next year. I still feel like a newb! Does the feeling that your screwing everything up ever truly go away? 

Phielyne, you just gotta check out this blog post when you get a minute! You. Me. Us.: I’m not really an average homeschooler, and that’s okay (http://katwonkas.blogspot.com/2016/03/im-not-really-average-homeschooler-and.html) Your question made me think of it immediately!

Topsy
04-14-2016, 08:08 PM
We are in our 2nd year of homeschooling, and looking forward to 1st, 2nd and 6th grades next year. I still feel like a newb! Does the feeling that your screwing everything up ever truly go away? 

Phielyne, you just gotta check out this blog post when you get a minute! You. Me. Us.: I’m not really an average homeschooler, and that’s okay (http://katwonkas.blogspot.com/2016/03/im-not-really-average-homeschooler-and.html) Your question made me think of it immediately!

Topsy
04-14-2016, 08:11 PM

Phielyne, if you get a minute, I think you'd really appreciate this blog post: You. Me. Us.: I’m not really an average homeschooler, and that’s okay (http://katwonkas.blogspot.com/2016/03/im-not-really-average-homeschooler-and.html) Your question made me immediately think of it! :)

Care
04-17-2016, 09:58 PM
Expanding!

We're in year three, formally, officially. Going by what's actually happening, it's more like year 4, but splitting hairs, so no big. ^_^

We have no co-op, we have no real supports, and the only professionals we've seen are homeschool-hostile, so it's been interesting. However, I'm in a place where I'm basically chucking curricula at my kid to see what sticks. We go through a ridiculous amount of material each year, and are changing things up to work around the February blahs, hockey season, and DH's work schedule. We're technically on an extended spring break right now, but since Mad Natter has just gotten over the chicken pox, it's all considered "good" by the pearl-clutching folks who think he needs to be doing school at the same time as the PS kids.

Our weeks now run W/Th/F/Sa, and we're setting up to have our year run from April to November, with 'add on' days 2x/week past that point as needed. We're learning a ton as we go, from how fast Mad Natter learns, to just what he's fighting through to do it, and we're still trying to find something that doesn't end in complaining about how often we have school days - I suspect this will be a battle until the end of time, honestly. XD

Collin
04-20-2016, 06:49 PM
We're nearing the end of our 2nd year of homeschooling. So far, so good!

Marmalade
04-26-2016, 04:29 PM
I think we are at 7. I just had to google "What grade are 12 year olds in" to get an idea! My 12 year old son was to start K when we decided to pull his sister's and to keep him home as well.

LadyMondegreen
04-26-2016, 07:01 PM
This was year 9 for us! One in college, four to go.

DeborahD
08-09-2016, 04:21 PM
Entering our third year and are really excited! We have curriculum and extra-curricular classes we love and have found a good rhythm to our days!

J&C'sMommy
08-11-2016, 11:06 AM
We are entering our 6th year of homeschooling!

4asd
12-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Iím only two years late in replying but yes we are still making an attempt to homeschool.

vicsmom
02-01-2019, 04:58 PM
We're in our third year.

I remember how hard it was the first year, especially the loneliness and feeling like everybody disapproved of what I was doing. And the loneliness of DS not having recess with friends anymore. And missing them bells to tell him what to do, when to start and when to get off....

But now we are loving our freedom and all the things we learn, myself included. So glad we got off the crazy train! Woo-hoo!

Deli76
02-01-2019, 08:18 PM
It says I already voted...I dont remember LOL and I am way too lazy to look for my vote or reply. We are in our 6th year of homeschooling. I thought it would only be for elementary, but it went so well we just kept right on going! Its been awesome!

Sean
02-04-2019, 03:06 PM
My wife and I have been homeschooling since 2003, so....*carry the one*....16 years! Graduated our oldest DS 3 years ago and he just completed out of Job Corps last week and has a job helping someone sell refurbished computers on eBay. Our DD is 9th grade and our youngest DS is 6th grade; yeah, we have a ways to go and loving every minute of it!

faraz_zaidi1
04-17-2019, 05:02 AM
Not having a child right now. But willing to homeschool once he / she born. Thats why i am on this site. To stay connected and updated with the community.