PDA

View Full Version : Article: college admissions advice to their own children

fastweedpuller
03-17-2016, 11:00 AM
Can you imagine having this kind of inside track?

Well article from the NYTimes (http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/03/17/advice-college-admissions-officers-give-their-own-kids/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&moduleDetail=inside-nyt-region-4&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region&_r=0)

I thought some of it was pretty good advice. I like the first mom's suggestions. I also can't really believe that one dad didn't even read his own son's essay. And that whole idea of rejections and moving on...

LKnomad
03-17-2016, 07:14 PM
I read that today as well.

We are 3 for 3 so far with one deferral. Expecting 4 more results tomorrow! All results but one will be out by March 25. There is one more which will come by snail mail around April 1. My son has 12 applications total.

I was not allowed to read my son's essays until they were complete. He worked with my sister on them and she came into the room and stated that I was forbidden from looking at them, asking about them, and otherwise mentioning them, until they were complete. So the dad not looking at the essays I can understand. I also worked in higher education. It kept my son sane, because I was driving him crazy.

Tomorrow is a big day for my son. His two top schools should be releasing decisions around 5pm PST. There will also be one of the top UCs releasing as well. If he gets rejected, then there is nothing to do but move on. He has others that are not as desirable, but it is what he has. I will feel horrible tomorrow if he gets rejected from both his top schools. I am hoping for at least one of them to come through, but if I cannot move on then neither can he. So I get what they are saying.

Luv2HS
03-18-2016, 04:09 AM
Best of luck tomorrow! I hope he gets at least one of his top 2. Keep us updated:)

inmom
03-18-2016, 06:45 AM
I've told my kids since elementary age that education is not a function of where you get it but how to take advantage of it. So we followed that through to college selections. Both kids mostly looked at schools that had strong programs in their chosen major. Some were elite schools, but some are not. In fact, DD looked at Columbia (NYC) and NYU, but feels she's much happier (and FAR less in debt) by going to University of Iowa for writing. Iowa has like an 80+% acceptance rate, but that doesn't make it any less of a good fit for her.

DS has applied to to anything from Big Ten universities to Stanford (just for the heck of it--still waiting on that one). He'll be happy at whichever of the 5 he gets accepted to/attends, because he's just that kind of kid.

We suggested the kids write their essays on their own, as it's important they be written in their "voice." DD didn't ask me to look over hers, and that's okay. DS had me check for basic stuff--grammar, spelling, etc. But the content was totally theirs.

Overall, we've told our kids to get involved wherever they find themselves. It seems to have worked well for my daughter.

inmom
03-18-2016, 06:51 AM
I also agree with the parent who suggested their child get their apps done early to avoid senior year stress. DD applied and was admitted to U of Iowa a full year before she attended. (Disclaimer: It has one of the simplest application processes I have ever seen. Within 2 days of applying she knew she was accepted and that she'd received two automatic scholarships.)

DS set mid-September as his deadline for 6 applications, and he met it all except for one that he finished a few days later. He was so relieved when he was finished. Now it's scholarship application time.......

LKnomad
03-19-2016, 09:13 AM
Sigh. We had four results yesterday. The top two were rejections. The others were acceptances. One acceptance, did not have enough financial aid. Waiting on 3 more next week and two more the week after. (One acceptance was UCLA, which is affordable so that was good!)

inmom
03-19-2016, 12:26 PM
Affordable is good! I hope your son finds a good fit for him. How is he taking the news?

inmom
03-19-2016, 04:13 PM
DS has been accepted to 3, declined at one, still waiting on one.. Only one offers decent scholarship amounts, though. Decisions, decisions,...

LKnomad
03-19-2016, 08:31 PM
My son is taking it hard. These two schools were the ones he wanted most. They were also closer to home and had everything he wanted.

He has a visit scheduled in 2 weeks with another college that had already offered admission and merit, would be totally affordable, and I think would be a great fit. It is just not as close to home. This also puts Reed at the top of his list now and as an athiest, and highly cerebral kid, would just be such a great place for him. They will announce acceptances last!!! This is making me nuts.

There must be a better way.

inmom
03-20-2016, 09:07 AM
I'm sorry your son is feeling down about it. My ds was disappointed in his denial, but he tends to hold his feelings pretty close. He's also very pragmatic, so he moves on pretty quickly.

It is just not as close to home.

Too funny. DS's top two choices are in the west, as far as he can go w/o leaving the lower 48.

One would think....

ebh87
03-20-2016, 10:41 AM
My son is taking it hard. These two schools were the ones he wanted most. They were also closer to home and had everything he wanted.

He has a visit scheduled in 2 weeks with another college that had already offered admission and merit, would be totally affordable, and I think would be a great fit. It is just not as close to home. This also puts Reed at the top of his list now and as an athiest, and highly cerebral kid, would just be such a great place for him. They will announce acceptances last!!! This is making me nuts.

I'm sorry he's taking it hard. That's rough. I'm sure it will all work out and he'll be happy where he ends up, but that's too bad that the two schools he wanted most didn't work out.

Erica

inmom
03-28-2016, 10:20 AM
We've heard from all, and decisions have been made. DS was accepted to 3 out of 5, but one of those did not admit him to the program he wanted (as a freshman, anyway), and it's downright too expensive anyway to hope he gets into the program as a sophomore when their acceptance rate to the specific program is only 30-40%!!

Anyway, he'll be going in-state to a still highly ranked CS program. On the plus side, if he interns with tech companies as he hopes (and which they promote), he will likely graduate with no college debt. He's just bummed because, to him, it feels like the decision was made for him. I've been trying to let him know that he's lucky--lots of kids don't get the chance to go or will owe big $$$ when they are done.

Accidental Homeschooler
03-29-2016, 09:37 PM
Nice to know we aren't the only ones dealing with this. We have three acceptances and one wait list (which is the same as a rejection but maybe doesn't smart quite as much). Also three rejections, but we hear on the one she wants most on the 31st. I think the rejections bother me more than dd lol. But the bottom line is that she will have a school to head off to this Fall.

LKnomad
03-30-2016, 02:07 AM
We have heard from 10 of the 12. There are 7 admits, 3 rejections, and then we are waiting for Ivy day for the deferral (knowing it is a rejection). The last one said that they will be sending out results via snail mail postmarked April 1. REALLY????? That means he won't get the results until next Monday or Tuesday. Of course, right now that is his new top choice. Sigh.

So far the financial aid offers have been pretty close with merit aid and generous need based aid.

This is our upcoming schedule for admitted students days for the colleges he is interested in.

March 30th - Local University of California visit for honors program
April 1 - Out of state visit for small private liberal arts school
April 8 - visit for small private liberal arts school about 1 hour away.
April 10 - reception and info session for a different University of CA.
?? If he gets into this last school who knows how we will visit.

He managed to get into UCLA and UC Berkeley so we were pretty proud, but I think he will prefer the small liberal arts schools instead. He likes the smaller class size and more attention. We shall see.

I am tired just writing this.

Accidental Homeschooler
03-30-2016, 10:14 AM
LKnomad, I am tired of thinking about it. Dd doesn't want to talk about the schools she got into until the first, when we have all the responses. She applied to fourteen schools, I think lol. I am starting to lose track. I have been quietly doing comparative research about the schools she got into and that is what is keeping me calm. I have my first choice but she will be the one to decide. The aid packages are pretty equal between the three, two in Boston and one in DC. She wants to live on the East Coast and wants an Urban school. April will be our travel month. We will most likely be heading to Boston, or dh and dd will. It is nice you can drive to visit. Our visits will involve flights.

Two of the schools she got into have honors programs that accepted her. I am puzzled by the whole honors program thing. If you are acceptable as a student at a particular school shouldn't you have access to everything the school has to offer? Why have a separate track with preferential treatment in terms of things like class size? Anyway, it just bugs me even though it is good for dd I guess.

LKnomad
03-30-2016, 06:00 PM
Two of the schools she got into have honors programs that accepted her. I am puzzled by the whole honors program thing. If you are acceptable as a student at a particular school shouldn't you have access to everything the school has to offer? Why have a separate track with preferential treatment in terms of things like class size? Anyway, it just bugs me even though it is good for dd I guess.

We just returned from the College Honors Program info session this AM for UC Irvine and let me tell you, the acceptance into the honors program moved this school above UCLA and UC Berkeley. From what I understand there is no honors programs at the top state schools here in CA because everyone is at an honors level, but for UCI, they take the top 2% or so and admit them into the honors program. There will be around 250 students or so. All schools will do things differently but the honors program here creates a separate core program that the honors students take together, that it is taught at a higher level, and satisfies all core requirements. The classes are smaller and they are all taught by professors not TAs. They also get priority registration (before seniors and athletes), honors housing, separate honors classes in their majors which as smaller, etc. It is a way of creating a smaller schools inside a larger one for top students and it is a good way to keep the brightest students who might otherwise go to higher level schools. Like I said, this put UCI, a second tier UC school above both UCLA and UCB for my son. At least for now. We have a Berkeley event next weekend so who knows.

While it seems like a great program, my son says it is not enough to make him choose it over a smaller school.

LKnomad
03-30-2016, 06:02 PM
I guess what I am saying is that honors programs allow schools to recruit better students by giving them the same opportunities they would get at better schools.

Mariam
03-30-2016, 07:01 PM
I just want to point out that not all honors programs are treated equal, so you will want to check it out depending on the school.

One school I taught at the honors program was an afterthought. I am not sure of all of the benefits, but I would have a student show up in my class and say that they are in the honors program. Then I had to come up with a plan for that one student to complete over the course of the semester in order for it to count as honors. Definitely not a cohesive plan and I wasn't even sure how it was benefiting the student.

Accidental Homeschooler
03-31-2016, 10:26 AM
I get why schools would want to do it, to attract higher performing students and improve their stats and all. It just offends my egalitarian nature. One of the honors programs dd got into has its own dorm. So if you are a student good enough to get in to a school and are paying the same tuition, it just seems wrong to me to be offered the lesser experience, that's all. I am happy for dd though.

LKnomad
03-31-2016, 02:09 PM
I get why schools would want to do it, to attract higher performing students and improve their stats and all. It just offends my egalitarian nature. One of the honors programs dd got into has its own dorm. So if you are a student good enough to get in to a school and are paying the same tuition, it just seems wrong to me to be offered the lesser experience, that's all. I am happy for dd though.

The seperate dorm situation is a plus for my son because he does a lot of studying. I remember from my old college days, the amount of partying and "other activities" that went on in my dorms. While honors dorms are not immune to college fun, if you have a kid whose piority is school work, and main social base of friend are those who are academic, then a seperate dorm makes sense. It also adds to the small school within a school feeling that many programs are trying to cultivate. The honors program at UCI also offers special study rooms in the library. For a proper honors program. These perks allow those students who have already shown exceptional promise, the ability to avoid derailing into college party life. It also allows them to bond with other honors students. In a school of over 30,000 that really helps.

This assumes that you are not dealing with a situation like Mariam describes.

Accidental Homeschooler
03-31-2016, 02:29 PM
Today is the big day here. After five we start getting more options, or not. The time is dragging. Yesterday I went and read the bio's of all the faculty of the physics department at one school where she got in.

I get what you are saying LKnomad, really. It just doesn't sit right with me somehow even though there will be benefits for Dd. And reading about the honors program where she could go, it is really a separate program with a lot more academic freedom in addition to the dorms, which would be perfect for my dd.

inmom
03-31-2016, 02:36 PM
The honors dorm as you describe, LKnomad, is what we were hoping for our daughter. However, just as much partying took place in the Honors dorm as in others...at least on her campus. It all depends on how much the RAs are willing to police the activity. There were many, many nights my dd has had to open her door to extremely loud residents right outside her room at 2 am to ask them to shut the h*#L up.

That being said, she's loved the other perks of her honors program--smaller classes, more discussion than lecture, taught by profs and not TAs. She also bumps up in priority when registering for classes.

My son, however, is declining the honors program at Purdue. It has some of the same approaches but has a very strong cross-curricular base in which he's not interested, in addition to a "grooming to be leaders" focus. He's a quiet, focused-on-tech kind of kid and it's just not his thing. He wants to concentrate on learning more about programming and garnering further internships instead.

Each student needs to find what works individually.

inmom
03-31-2016, 02:39 PM
Today is the big day here. After five we start getting more options, or not. The time is dragging. Yesterday I went and read the bio's of all the faculty of the physics department at one school where she got in.

Having a BS in physics, I say kudos to your daughter for majoring in it. It's an exciting, challenging field. Best of luck to her in her college choices!

Accidental Homeschooler
03-31-2016, 04:43 PM
Having a BS in physics, I say kudos to your daughter for majoring in it. It's an exciting, challenging field. Best of luck to her in her college choices!

Thanks Carol! I am glad to hear your daughter is enjoying Iowa City!

LKnomad
04-09-2016, 11:29 PM
OMG we are down to two choices!!!! That is from 8 to 2. Please help me make it another week without losing my mind.....

fastweedpuller
04-10-2016, 09:27 AM
LKNomad, my cousin went to Reed, loved it...we're Chicagoans originally if that makes a difference/shows that that school has a draw beyond its west coast/PNW location, which I think is pretty important!

alisondux
04-12-2016, 01:35 AM
I'm coming at this from a totally different perspective but I interviewed 25 seniors as an alumni interviewer for Stanford and not one got in. There were some absolutely amazing kids and I was totally baffled. I get that Stanford now has less than a 4% acceptance rate but I have no idea what they are looking for if a couple of these kids weren't it. Remind your children that college admissions is a crap shoot, if you were accepted at one comparable college you are qualified for the other, you just didn't hit their diversity buttons this time. I hope they all land at colleges that they love and that they can thrive at.

LKnomad
04-12-2016, 02:43 AM
I'm coming at this from a totally different perspective but I interviewed 25 seniors as an alumni interviewer for Stanford and not one got in. There were some absolutely amazing kids and I was totally baffled. I get that Stanford now has less than a 4% acceptance rate but I have no idea what they are looking for if a couple of these kids weren't it. Remind your children that college admissions is a crap shoot, if you were accepted at one comparable college you are qualified for the other, you just didn't hit their diversity buttons this time. I hope they all land at colleges that they love and that they can thrive at.

What we did was choose the dream college and then looked at dream like colleges that would offer the same type of feel. My son was rejected from his two dream colleges but is finding that the ones we chose as dream like, really will work out, and might even be a better fit (I am looking at you Reed).

Stanford was on his list as a crapshoot, just to see. He had all the stats but, everyone now has all the stats!!!! When I asked if he was accepted, when he checked at the designated time, he laughed and said "of course not!"

Just for fun, take a look at these statistics. These guys are collecting them as they are officially announced. There are separate numbers for EA/ED/REA and RD.

College Admissions Statistics Class of 2020: Early Decision & Early Action Acceptance Rates - College Confidential (http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/college-admissions/1841185-college-admissions-statistics-class-of-2020-early-decision-early-action-acceptance-rates.html#latest)

Stanford RD was 3.6%
Stanford REA was 9.5% (But that will include athletes and other recruits.)

LKnomad
04-12-2016, 02:44 AM
LKNomad, my cousin went to Reed, loved it...we're Chicagoans originally if that makes a difference/shows that that school has a draw beyond its west coast/PNW location, which I think is pretty important!

We will visit Reed on Friday and then he chooses between Reed and Whitman. Pretty sure Reed will win but I will wait to see what he says.

Both are part of the whole Colleges that Change Lives movement and that really was the right way to go for him.

LKnomad
04-18-2016, 05:17 PM
Well I am happy to say I might be spending more time on the secular homeschool forums now. The college search is done and visits are over. No more plane rides or airports until Aug. We have a winner.

Kid is going to Reed.

When the decision was made we headed to the bookstore where he bought several T-shirts. One said Reed and was surrounded by the words - Atheism, Communism, and Free love. LOL. Don't know how that one will go over with the neighbors but, whatever.

darkelf
04-22-2016, 01:08 AM
My son is 11th grader, so we are just starting this journey.

We went to a Class of 2017 meeting last night and when we left, he asked, "When do they expect me to sleep?"

He is doing dual enrollment right now, which means he will be accepted as a freshman and then be registered as a Junior.

We are starting to get Sports letters from Colleges and he had his first scholarship offer (Christian College, so no thank you!)

He rocked his PSAT's and we have the 1st SAT scheduled. (There is a company here that offers a free test that will tell you if your student will do better then on the SAT or ACT, so we are considering that.) We are also considering the SAT subject test since he is currently taking Cal. 2 (which is beyond 99% of most High Schoolers)

We can visit a few in state colleges and the UW would be great, but he (my mathematically gifted child) is still insisting on Paleontology and just a few schools offer that as a major. We told him that honestly the first time he steps foot on campus might be when he goes there.

Accidental Homeschooler
04-26-2016, 03:37 PM
Well I am happy to say I might be spending more time on the secular homeschool forums now. The college search is done and visits are over. No more plane rides or airports until Aug. We have a winner.

Kid is going to Reed.

When the decision was made we headed to the bookstore where he bought several T-shirts. One said Reed and was surrounded by the words - Atheism, Communism, and Free love. LOL. Don't know how that one will go over with the neighbors but, whatever.

Dd went for an understated dark gray on light gray t-shirt and is going to Northeastern. She wanted east coast urban and she got it. They gave her great aid so it all worked out in the end and I am so glad this process is over, so, so glad.:D And I don't have to do it again for several years.

inmom
04-26-2016, 03:57 PM
My kids each picked schools whose colors are black and yellow. Makes it easy if we choose to support their schools through attire!!

Sooooooo glad the college selection process is over. I don't think my blood pressure would survive a third circus.

Accidental Homeschooler
04-26-2016, 04:38 PM
My kids each picked schools whose colors are black and yellow. Makes it easy if we choose to support their schools through attire!!

Sooooooo glad the college selection process is over. I don't think my blood pressure would survive a third circus.

Mine either. I am hoping the second time around I will have learned enough that it is less stressful. Of course my dds are so different from each other that we will be looking at a very different set of schools, but hopefully some of my hard won wisdom will be applicable. Lol I don't even know what colors NEU uses, just that the mascot is a husky. I think red and something.