PDA

View Full Version : Historical Fiction - Civil War

dbsam
03-16-2016, 11:54 PM
Last fall, my children read a handful of books set around the time of the Revolutionary War. They've recently asked to read historical fiction based on the Civil War and are hoping to form a book club with their friends.

I've come up with a short list of books. If you or your children have read these books, reviews and opinions are appreciated. Additional book suggestions would be great too.
TIA

Across Five Aprils by Irene Hunt

Soldier's Heart by Gary Paulsen

Bull Run by Paul Fleischman

My Last Skirt: The Story of Jennie Hodgers, Union Soldier by Lynda Durrant

Girl in Blue by Ann Rinaldi

alexsmom
03-17-2016, 02:34 AM
This list has some just on the Civil War:
(Not vetted for secular)
American History Part 2 of 2 Middle School Book & Resources Compilation | The Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/american-history-part-2-of-2-middle-school-book-resources-compilation/)

What about books taking place around the time but not directly about the Civil War? (Little Women and that one *with the girl from Wisconsin* come to mind.)

dbsam
03-17-2016, 06:37 AM
This list has some just on the Civil War:
(Not vetted for secular)
American History Part 2 of 2 Middle School Book & Resources Compilation | The Pioneer Woman (http://thepioneerwoman.com/homeschooling/american-history-part-2-of-2-middle-school-book-resources-compilation/)

What about books taking place around the time but not directly about the Civil War? (Little Women and that one *with the girl from Wisconsin* come to mind.)

I didn't think of Little Women. I love that book! (I also love the old movie. I wonder if they would watch it after reading the book.I know at least my kids would.)

fastweedpuller
03-17-2016, 10:18 AM
Little Women is great but the Civil War barely factors into it. Not that that's a reason not to read it!! heartheart

The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg is a funny one.

dbsam
03-17-2016, 10:20 AM
The Mostly True Adventures of Homer P. Figg is a funny one.

I need to look this one up, I've never heard of it.
Thank you!

dragonfly
03-17-2016, 10:38 AM
The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman It tells the fictional story of Jane's life, from the end of the Civil War when she was a slave girl until her death in 1962. There's not a lot during the actual war; it's mainly about how former slaves lived after they were freed.

dbsam
03-17-2016, 10:41 AM
The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman It tells the fictional story of Jane's life, from the end of the Civil War when she was a slave girl until her death in 1962. There's not a lot during the actual war; it's mainly about how former slaves lived after they were freed.

Thank you.
I like the idea of books with different perspectives and varying times prior to, during, and after the war. That's what we tried to do when they read about the Revolutionary War; it made it more interesting and valuable.