PDA

View Full Version : Hello from N.E. Ohio

momof1gr8girl
03-20-2010, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone,

I just found this site and already feel some camaraderie. I have been home schooling our 4th grade daughter for the 4th year. We live in a suburb half way between Akron and Cleveland.

Our reason for home schooling was that our daughter wasn't being challenged even in a private school and wanted her to be able to work at her own pace. We are using an online curriculum and are mostly happy with it (no program is perfect).

For living so close to a fairly big city we have found all the home school groups in our area are religious in nature. It has been hard for either of us to make other home school friends. We do have one other family that home school for Christian reasons as friends. They are not very extreme. Even the home school message boards for our area that are supposed to be secular have a lot of biblical quotes in the signature and postings for church choirs, etc. so I'm very glad to have found this site.

Best regards . . .

Topsy
03-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Thrilled to have you here as well! I definitely understand the difficulty of finding like-minded homeschoolers. It took years before we found a basically inclusive group - - and it isn't very big! That's why I began this site...as an outlet for those of us who are desperate to talk about the adventure of homeschooling with others who aren't necessarily homeschooling for religious reasons. Hope you enjoy it here. Jump right in and make yourself at home... :)

Snoopy
03-21-2010, 08:21 PM
Welcome, welcome! We're glad to have you here :)

Nikkigirl2002
03-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi there, I'm new, and from N.E. Ohio also, although very north: 1/2 mile from the Lake. My daughter is in 8th
grade level: we're into our 4th year at home. I'm new to this site, and happy to have found it. In this thread
i saw the post from the administrator of the site. Thank you for starting it. I'd love to hear from anyone near
me. I'm actually in Cleveland near Euclid OH. Please let me know if you're near enough to ever actually see?
I guess I'll just give a little bit of time on the site to see who is here and who may be near me. I just got
excited to see N/E Ohio on a secular site. There are mostely Christian sites and groups. It doesn't mean
we're not out here though. Hello and bye for now. Nancy

jazzyfizzle
04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Hello everyone,

We are new to the forum. We are in north central Ohio about 30 miles south of Sandusky. Our experience has been much the same, the only other homeschoolers and group is church based. They have been a great help to us and we have enjoyed outings with them. It would be great to meet others who are also homeschooling for other than religious reasons.
We would love to get together with others in our area, and do drive to the Cleveland/Akron area at times, we did a field trip earlier this year to the Cleveland Natural History Museum and Planetarium. Planning on doing the Zoo Rainforest in the next few weeks.
We homeschool two sons- 6th grade and K.
Great to be here!

Sherri

reversemigration
04-19-2010, 09:15 AM
I'm afraid we're down in Cincinnati, but I'm happy to see other people from Ohio here!

Wilma
04-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Hi!

I just discovered this board and it looks great! My inlaws live in the Youngstown area.

Ann

collchris2003
04-26-2010, 08:41 AM
We are also from NE Ohio (Vermilion) and I have been hunting for non-religious HS groups for a while now. We haven't "officially" started HS yet (DD will be 4 in July, and we have another child due any day now), but I figure knowing our resources ahead of time is a good idea.

BTW, I have had a good amount of luck finding secular (or at least inclusinge) HS groups in NE Ohio through Yahoo groups. Here are some of the names-you may want to check them out: NorthernOhioUnschoolers, UnschoolersNetworkOhio (though technically for unschoolers, these groups seem very open to all), NEOHSC, NOHSFT (this one is a groupthat actually schedules field trips around NE Ohio-I can't wait till ou daughter is old evough for us to start going!), FamiliesRediscoveringEE (this one has had very little traffic lately).

While I've been mostly lurking with these groups, they all seem very nice, inclusive, non-judgemental. A coupld of them have regular get-togethers, play dates, etc. I would recommend anyone from NE Ohio take a look at them! Sorry if my spelling is awful-I just woke up!

tanmom04
05-04-2010, 06:51 PM
Hi! I am new to this site, and WOW, I read your post and it could have been mine! lol I am in the Mansfield area and have had all the same troubles you have.

hockeymom
05-05-2010, 06:06 PM
My DH is from Columbus and we lived there for 7 years (after having moved away for a long time) until recently relocating to New Brunswick. There are lots of homeschoolers there and judging from the many that I talked to (at rec center classes etc) there are plenty who are definitely not religious. Maybe you can find some semi-local support there?

We are missing the resources available there so much! Here we have exactly nothing, but in Columbus all the rec centers, the zoo, COSI, the art museum etc all offer classes specifically for homeschool kids in addition to their regular classes and workshops. I just started homeschooling this year, and what I'd do for those resources now! Maybe the drive down is worth it sometime for you?

There's nothing like local support, but this site is amazing! Welcome! :)

jazzyfizzle
05-06-2010, 07:23 PM
Super, maybe we should all try and get together!