PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Autism Info

skrink
03-15-2016, 09:22 AM
Amythest Schaber is a young autistic woman who has a YouTube channel called Ask An Autistic: https://www.youtube.com/user/neurowonderful/videos. A friend of mine just passed along her info on FB, and I was blown away. I shared with dd & she has been busily working her way through the videos. I am so happy for her to have a proud, positive role model who has dealt with the same issues she faces daily. It's something I haven't been able to provide IRL. I'm also glad to have access to good info about autism directly from an autistic adult. I hope some of you find this useful. :)

Topsy
03-16-2016, 08:30 AM
THANK YOU for sharing!!!

alexsmom
04-21-2016, 06:42 PM
Thank you for this link! I've watched several of her videos, and learned all sorts of stuff, changing my perception of Autism, at the very least.

She is revolted by Autism Speaks (and gives reasonable arguments)... Is at a typical or accurate view on the organization?

skrink
04-21-2016, 08:34 PM
Autism Speaks is despised by most of the autisic community. A tiny % of the huge amount of $ they raise actually benefits living, breathing autists. The focus on cure, and prenatal testing, essentially gives the message that autism is horrible and an unbearable burden to families, and it's better to be aborted than born autistic.

alexsmom
04-21-2016, 09:19 PM
I was a bit alarmed by that message, too.

DS4 is involved with a study here, and I see they have Autism Speaks listed as a sponsor and as a reference for people wanting more information.
https://autism-center.ucsd.edu/about-us/Pages/default.aspx
I was a little alarmed by the website's phrasing, which might just be me being oversensitive to it:

The ultimate goal of our program is to help families by establishing reliable biomedical indicators that will translate into rapid identification and early treatment for all children who need it.
Is this covert phrasing for *prenatal testing so that you can abort any autistic babies while in early trimester of pregnancy*?

It gives me something to think about, at least, that I wouldnt have thought about before. Ill ask the researcher more specifically what theyre trying to do when we go back there in June.

My dabbling with ASL (to help my baby who was non-speaking) led me to see that the Deaf community doesnt see itself as handicapped.
It seems very similar to the attitude that the autistic youtuber has - Autism isnt a Disorder, but a Difference.

skrink
04-21-2016, 09:57 PM
I've read lots of blogs and articles written by folks on the spectrum and I can't think of one instance of any of them having something positive to say about Autism Speaks. AS paints such a doom and gloom picture of autism, that it's basically one of the worst things possible, that it causes suffering and should be eradicated. They also spend minuscule amounts helping children who are already here, who could absolutely benefit from "rapid identification and early treatment." Why bother identifying if you're not treating those already diagnosed? There's also the small matter of these young children growing into adults with normal lifespans. What about them? Given the sharp decline in available services as kids move from early childhood into adolescence, maybe that should be a focus? Bah! So yeah, I do think it's code for prenatal testing that will allow you to rid yourself of any potentially troublesome offspring before it's too late.